• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should the Aussie Open be Major?

How about "Actual Major" versus "Pretend Major" to keep it all clear?

Ha ha. Though I actually think "super major", or some form of it ("elite major"?), has a shot at the rate we're going.

I'm not promoting the Aussie Open and I couldn't care less if any of the top pros play the event (men or women). I'm only arguing that the lack of "top" players isn't a good enough argument that this event shouldn't be a PDGA Major.

I dont know. To the OPs point if a Major has a very small representation of the Worlds top disc golfers then, yea, it looses some luster. With that said our sport is dominated by a pretty small group of guys who do seem to make it out to these international events. There are certainly a few who wont make it and that sucks. I cant imagine traveling oversees without my sponser paying 100% of the cost (flight, hotel, car rental). I know very little about sponser support for their players but from what Ive gathered most pros spend a lot of money out of pocket.

This is just one of many interesting discussions in disc golf due to the stage of the sport. Part of me wants to say keep the majors in the US where the highest density of talent is but I also want to see international majors, so the other part of me agrees with Jamie and we kind of have to "grow into them".

Rego has been open for 4 or 5 days, and 4 total sign ups last I checked. Its no Japan Open by any means!

I dont know. To the OPs point if a Major has a very small representation of the Worlds top disc golfers then, yea, it looses some luster. With that said our sport is dominated by a pretty small group of guys who do seem to make it out to these international events. There are certainly a few who wont make it and that sucks. I cant imagine traveling oversees without my sponser paying 100% of the cost (flight, hotel, car rental). I know very little about sponser support for their players but from what Ive gathered most pros spend a lot of money out of pocket.

This is just one of many interesting discussions in disc golf due to the stage of the sport. Part of me wants to say keep the majors in the US where the highest density of talent is but I also want to see international majors, so the other part of me agrees with Jamie and we kind of have to "grow into them".

It's a tough situation indeed. Do we cater to the "now" pros and only hold tournaments where they can go? Or do we try to host great events, and allow the new generation a chance in the spotlight?

I lean towards the latter, simply because life will go on. As callous as it sounds (and I don't mean it to be) - looking at a "zoomed out" picture of the game, you can't cater to and try to feed money to the pros. You have to rather dangle the carrot a bit and make them prove themselves against any and all newcomers. The next generation will always bring more money in, provided the sport is growing in general. So we have to be moving forward.

For the international version of the game, what if hypothetically there was a Paul McBeth in the making down in Australia? What if it galvanized a country in support of the game? Long shots, hypotheticals, I know...but this is how all sports work.

In the long run I have to believe it's better for the players and the sport to grow like that together, reach new markets, etc...but it's a hard decision to make because the immediate ROI for the touring pro is definitely not there.

The argument can be made that if it is, or hopes to be, the biggest, most prestigious event in an area spanning about two-thirds of the world, it deserves recognition as a major.

The argument can be made that if it is, or hopes to be, the biggest, most prestigious event in an area spanning about two-thirds of the world, it deserves recognition as a major.

I guess the question should be what makes the Aussie Open the most prestigious in the region? That it is backed by a major sponsor (only had $5000 added cash)? Should the PDGA highlight the largest and most successful in the region?i (Australian DG Champs is #1).

Without major status the Aussie Open only pulled in 22 players the previous year. So why choose the Aussie Open?

I guess the question should be what makes the Aussie Open the most prestigious in the region? That it is backed by a major sponsor (only had $5000 added cash)? Should the PDGA highlight the largest and most successful in the region?i (Australian DG Champs is #1).

Without major status the Aussie Open only pulled in 22 players the previous year. So why choose the Aussie Open?

Scheduling would be my guess. I don't think anybody would go mid season unless the payout was record setting...and even then it'd be winter in the southern hemisphere.

It's a bit of a goodwill mission, no doubt. PDGA is playing futures.

Do you think Smashboxx is invited? ;)

If only New Zealand had a larger tournament that could be a major. The courses there are far more visually appealing and the opportunity for a temporary course could be incredible.

Now that many of the old "second-tier" disc companies have become fairly large since 2015. I'm hoping will see more players with financial help to get to Australia next year. You could argue that any major outside of the states is hard financially on the majority of top pros. It's too bad they don't have other tourneys going on for added incentives to make additional cash and hold a clinic or two. I think thats an added bonus to the European majors and helps drive the high attendance.

Will Simon be recovered in time for this tournament? I would guess he will be towards the tail end of his physical therapy? I also assume Eagle being sponsored by Dude and Discmania is a strong indication he will be there. Should be interesting to see this list fill up!

Just speculation, and my memory isn't good enough, but I've read that the USDGC debuted as a major. If so, it was based on promises and commitments by a well-established Innova, since every prior event had been bigger.

Perhaps it's a 2-part question:

(1) What is a "major"?
(2) Which tournaments should be "majors"?

For #1, I'm thinking of Majors as the biggest, most prestigious events in the sport. That's how the term is used in other sports, at least ones that come readily to my mind.

But it looks like the PDGA uses the term for the biggest, most prestigious events in different categories---Pro, Amateur, Collegiate, Seniors, Europe, Asia/Pacific.

Do you think Smashboxx is invited? ;)

If only New Zealand had a larger tournament that could be a major. The courses there are far more visually appealing and the opportunity for a temporary course could be incredible.

Now that many of the old "second-tier" disc companies have become fairly large since 2015. I'm hoping will see more players with financial help to get to Australia next year. You could argue that any major outside of the states is hard financially on the majority of top pros. It's too bad they don't have other tourneys going on for added incentives to make additional cash and hold a clinic or two. I think thats an added bonus to the European majors and helps drive the high attendance.

Will Simon be recovered in time for this tournament? I would guess he will be towards the tail end of his physical therapy? I also assume Eagle being sponsored by Dude and Discmania is a strong indication he will be there. Should be interesting to see this list fill up!

So much to reply too here!

Smashboxx - I myself have reached out to the guys to possibly sponsor them covering it

Pros - I have also had brief conversations to bring a pro over...clinics etc and to headline...

Other events - i am working on a top tier event the week before. I believe the Asian Open or Taiwan Open is one then as well. NZ champs is on the week after.

Visually appealing courses compared to NZ - Poimena, Pine Lines, Granite Mountain? Heard of any of those...and the courses around Jindabyne look amazing.

Smashboxx - I myself have reached out to the guys to possibly sponsor them covering it
514bd108afa96f6bcf000029.jpg

Pros - I have also had brief conversations to bring a pro over...clinics etc and to headline...

Other events - i am working on a top tier event the week before. I believe the Asian Open or Taiwan Open is one then as well. NZ champs is on the week after.

Visually appealing courses compared to NZ - Poimena, Pine Lines, Granite Mountain? Heard of any of those...and the courses around Jindabyne look amazing.

Awesome to hear! sounds like you have a lot planned already and in motion - excited to see the fruits of your labor. I will also plead ignorant as my only experience is with New Zealand, I'm sure Australia has some great courses and very scenic! (the pictures in your facebook link blow any course in Minnesota here out of the water) :)

I hope to one day visit and see the Mundaring Sporting Club. Seems like they are doing some great things there!

I still find it funny that the Aussie Open was held near Perth, which is pretty much the only inhabited spot on the west coast of Australia. Hell, I bet Australian players had a hard time getting there. Why you wouldn't figure out a way to have it near Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane is beyond me.

Where will it be next...Darwin?

there is a tournament in Koh Samui thailand both the week before and the weekend after the Aussie Open! flights to Perth are super cheap from thailand, and i wouldn't be surprised if you could fly usa->thailand->perth->thailand->usa for the same cost as usa->perth>usa

I really don't want to derail this into another media/live thread, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever Nate, but you offering to "sponsor" smashboxx will do nothing unless you're coordinating with the event directors.

I would encourage you to reach out to the Event Organizers and make the offer to them directly.

You're also a very generous person if so, and cheers to you sir. This is not official in any way, but I can't imagine that gig being possible for them for less than 20k.

OK - no more media talk. Sorry. Not derailing.

Yes of course I would reach out to organisers if talks progressed at all.

I would look to share funding of a player with either sponsors or themselves, no 'free' ride...im not that well off haha.

I'm thinking this would need to be a night golf Major for live coverage to occur during waking hours in both the U.S. and Finland? Perth is 12 hours offset from Eastern time now and 13 in winter so 9am tee times would be 5pm-8pm across U.S. mainland but 4am in Finland. Or, later tee times like 2pm would mean 10pm-1am start times across U.S. and around 9am in Finland.

I still find it funny that the Aussie Open was held near Perth, which is pretty much the only inhabited spot on the west coast of Australia. Hell, I bet Australian players had a hard time getting there. Why you wouldn't figure out a way to have it near Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane is beyond me.

Where will it be next...Darwin?

Mundaring is the clear choice currently...private facility and experienced staff.

Latest posts