• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Skeeter vs Mako

nnelson42

Bogey Member
I had a Mako last year and I really liked it, unfortunately I lost it at some point this winter.

Looking to replace it with a midrange disc that falls somewhere between my Roc and Stingray. Ideally something I can use for those long and straight tunnel shots.

I would be happy to bring another Mako back into rotation, but I have been checking out the Skeeter and think this may work even better.

Any thoughts?

I also am a fan of the DX plastic which is extra points for the skeeter.

Skeeter does fly nice and straight, and has great glide. It'll flip on ya if your not careful though.

Opto Fuse on the heavy side. Should be a nice fit between the two you're throwing. Branch out and try some sexy Swedish plastic.

Oh man, these two discs are pretty different. Mako is slower and better at shaping lines, the Skeeter is faster and decidedly understable. The best Skeeter IMO is a max weight gummy star one. Will absolutely sail in a tailwind, great for hyzer flips.

If your Stingray is DX, than the Mako fits much better b/w it and the Roc. Skeeters, especially DX ones, are arguably more understable than Stingrays. Plus, with the large diameter, the Mako will be more similar to the Roc and Stingray than the much smaller diameter Skeeter.

Throw a Coyote in the mix as well, it feels just as good in hand as a Mako and has a very straight-to-understable flight. The new Prodigy M4 also looks like a disc to keep an eye on.

You could try a Super Stingray, to complement your more understable Stingray. Ibex or Squall are a couple of other straight flying mids. I have a gummy star Skeeter but rarely throw it. Like Monkeypaws said, it is straight and long but can be finicky and unforgiving to OAT. The other options above are much more forgiving and versatile.

You could try a Super Stingray, to complement your more understable Stingray. Ibex or Squall are a couple of other straight flying mids. I have a gummy star Skeeter but rarely throw it. Like Monkeypaws said, it is straight and long but can be finicky and unforgiving to OAT. The other options above are much more forgiving and versatile.

The squall is great for holding tight lines. Awesome disc in heavier weights!

Personally, I think that the Skeeter would be great for the kind of shots you're talking about - "long and straight" is my experience with it. It's got some turn to it, but hyzer flips relatively predictably for me.

I stopped bagging Skeeters primarily because they didn't seem very useful other than off the tee - pretty crappy for upshots IMHO. But straight tunnel drives ~250' or so sound right up its ally.

Personally, I find Skeeters to be between Rocs and Stingrays from a stability standpoint: the Skeeters I've thrown, even at lighter weights, have never turned as much as Stingrays for me. The biggest difference I see is that they're smaller diameter than Rocs in particular, so a Mako would pair better from a feel standpoint. Not a workhorse disc, but would be good for select shots that you're describing.

I've only thrown them in DX, but I've heard good things about heavier star ones. Should be straighter.

Thanks for the feedback

Fwiw...both my roc and stingray are dx 150 class.

Might just start with a skeeter considering its $8, although it might become an issue if it beats in too understable considering i play mostly woods courses

Just threw these two side by side today for the first time.

The Skeeter seemed very glidey, touchy, but no further than the Mako.

Both when thrown well were very straight.

I found the Mako easier to throw, and less prone to griplock. Star plastic is so nice as well(my skeeter was dx).

I have had a star mako in the bag for almost a year. I tried to put a star skeeter in the bag as a friend gave me one. Needless to say the skeeter came out pretty fast. The mako is just straight with such easy finesse. I found the skeeter would have too much turn on it when i needed to make a straight, longer shot. I can throw the mako about 275 no problem. The mako rim was shallower too. Cleaner release for me. Good Luck!

As a person who loved mako's for a long time, I have gave them up for the Lat 64 Pure in Opto plastic. It has the same flight and almost the same distance. I use a Buzzz for longer straight shots. Also a guy brought up a Lat 64 Fuse earlier, that will go farther and will turn over into an anhyzer pretty easy. I do have lots of skeeters if you need to stock up.

The Mako is THE straightest non-putter disc ever created. I've thrown one many times and the ratings on inboundsdiscgolf.com are accurate. This disc is straighter than most putters too. The Buzzz doesn't even compare.

That said, the Skeeter may work better for you if you are used to throwing slight hyzer for your midrange shots. If you just want a slightly faster Mako, wait a week and the Mako3 will be available.

Latest posts