• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smaller discs for children?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Has anyone ever had this thought: We should produce smaller discs to teach children proper form.

In basketball - the ideal way to create a player with great form from a young age is to work with him on a shorter rim with a smaller ball. Slowly graduating him or her to larger balls and taller hoops until they're working with something regulation size.

Wouldn't it behoove disc golf companies, if they want to produce a stronger "next generation" with better form from a young age to produce a small line of smaller diameter/rim width discs to use? I'd also recommend a basket with a shorter height and smaller diameter.

We're already part way there. Mini discs and mini baskets are ideal for the youngest players. But there's nothing out there in a middle range to slowly graduate younger players.

I'm not saying the current system is totally inefficient - one only needs to look at guys like Barsby, Wiggins, Jenkins, etc. to know that just by starting at a younger age, great form will develop. But just because the current system is great doesn't mean it can't be improved. Thoughts?

Mini discs fly badly. Teach your kids with a lid. My kid tosses an ultra star nearly twice as far as an ultra-lightweight wizard.

I'm not sure that the diameter is the defining factor for adjusting difficulty level, especially since larger discs like beach frisbees are actually easier to throw straight. I think that light, slow, understable discs with a lot of glide work pretty darn well.

The issue isn't so much the flight of the discs - as much as development of proper form and grip from an earlier age.

You have to weigh that against how much fun they'll actually have doing it. It might be a great training aid, but at the age where it would be helpful you're not going to make your kid do hours of field work anyway. They're going to want to be on the course, playing the same baskets as everyone else with the same discs. Having kid sized discs that fall right through the basket and don't fly very well isn't likely to catch their interest and make them want to stick around long enough to develop better form.

It wouldn't have to be that much smaller, it could be dialed down enough so that it stays in the basket but it is just blizzard material but lighter.

My thought would to use lower profile , thinner rimmed discs as opposed to making smaller diameter discs.

DX Wedge comes to mind...

My thought would to use lower profile , thinner rimmed discs as opposed to making smaller diameter discs.

This :clap:

Couldn't agree more. I know when I start my kid out he'll have a summit and a ringer. Understable and stable with low profiles and small rims.

I think little hands would have a harder time getting a good grip on low profile discs. They make chunkier pencils for Kindergartners and 1st graders just learning to write, because the skinnier diameter of regular pencils is hard for small hands (still developing dexterity) to control.

Likewise, I would think smaller hands would have an easier time controlling a disc if there were a bit more to hold onto, like most putters.

That being said, I think what's currently available is fine, just start them off with putters and mids like we tell all the beginners to start out with, or even lids like someone mentioned - as long as they're having fun.

I think smaller discs is a solution looking for a problem.

Too bad Discraft OOP'd the 150 Storm - great kid's disc. So is the 150 DX Shark.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the wing size, depth and weight have a lot more to do with it than diameter. Kids can throw lids and the diameter on those are huge. Really, you are looking for something they can comfortably grip. The current range of 150g putters and mids have a lot of discs to choose from.

Fun fact: When my daughter was 5-6 and throwing with me, her favorite disc to throw was a premi weight Condor. It would hang in the air and glide. The smaller, faster discs just didn't glide for her at all.

I'm not sure that the diameter is the defining factor for adjusting difficulty level, especially since larger discs like beach frisbees are actually easier to throw straight. I think that light, slow, understable discs with a lot of glide work pretty darn well.

He is correct.

Rim thickness is more important than diameter. I am suprised so many people recommend 150 polecats when 75% of my kids can not throw them. My kids really like 120g rocs and 150 leopards.

Tiny Grooves. Hundreds of tiny Grooves.

There are laws against child cruelty.

Latest posts