• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Played Tommy Schumpert short to shorts yesterday. We have so many courses around here and so many mixed layouts that I really never play any layout more than a handful of times at most, but I'd never scored under par at Tommy before. Played a tourney in the spring and shot a +4 on the shorts. It is only a touch over 4k feet, but it is really wooded and there are lots of risks of rollaways, trees in C1, etc.

I hit my initial gaps (except 1) and played really smart golf and got a -2 yesterday.

I shot a personal record at the local course we play weekly. I have hit -6 several times, but this was my first -7 with 8 birdies and one bogey over 21 holes. My first -6 was last year before I started trying to improve my form. Since then hitting lines off the tee has been my struggle. Putting has improved tremendously, and lines off the tee has improved… slighty? I'm either in the circle for birdie or way off scrambling for par… always a work in progress. This is why we play the game.

Competed at one of our 2 local courses on Sunday and threw the worst round I have all year, 802 rated atrocity. Played a round on the same course an hour and a half later with a foursome I kind of know and threw 13 strokes better, which felt like an above average round.

Woke up early yesterday to get a round in at our other local course and threw the round of my life, I got all the good kicks, mostly hit all my lines and my putting was fantastic. Took the udisc course record from our local 1000+ rated pro.

I really don't know what to think of this.

Got T3 in MA2 with a 930 event avg and a 952 rated second round despite getting a triple bogey on a hole, very stoked about that!

OK, just fieldwork actually. Located a turf football field that is great for practice with nets at both ends. The great part is some couches had a class of kids out with discs throwing them into the nets and putting into a ring of hula-hoops set up in the center of the field. Pretty amazing to see 40 discs in the air at the same time and the kids running about.

Played OK, and won, but 'Bama went down!!!! Roll Vols!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played Jordan Creek yesterday.

Threw over 285' for the first ever, 335 ft on a slight downhill incline. Pretty sure it would have broke 300 ft on flatground.

Pretty stoked that I have 300' in me after all these playing.

What a weekend.

An absolute failure and a triumph of golf and short putting all in one.

I got so amped up for a long weekend with a good good friend coming in to town from the Colorado area. Took a vacation day just to golf on Friday. Over the course of the past few weeks I've had a really nice go of it keeping my game sharp, picking up some forehand distance I had thought I'd lost a decade ago by re-implementing a longer arm swing, and generally feeling very comfortable with my hazer-flip power on the Destroyer.

The plans were big and fun...
Friday - Two rounds at Kensington. Kensington Green and Toboggan.
Saturday - Bark at the Moon. Our big community party event.
Sunday - The Sanctuary. A private championship caliber layout near home.

Unfortunately, after a strong start on Kensington Green on Friday morning I just plain lost my timing. I don't know if it was footwork, fatigue, or what. I just progressively shot worse-and-worse. I started out 3 under par through 5 holes on Kensington Green and then.... just lost it. Wound up that round 3 over par. When we got to the Toboggan I should have started the round throwing some extra shots, but chose to plow forward and just golf and hope I'd catch my timing somewhere during the round. And I didn't. I wound up +5 (70). We played the OB as close to DGLO as possible (tall grass as OB lines) and I think +5 was pretty favorable given how often and how badly I was off the fairway. But even the shots that wound up good didn't have the flight paths I wanted.

Normally I can get through stretches like this, they don't tend to last more than a day - but I really impaired myself by not taking practice shots. And that continued the next day. On one of my home courses I, a relatively simple one without any elevation or anything tricky, I just could not get off the fairway. I saved a cash in Open with a great putting day from 20-30 feet. But I still didn't get a chance to throw through my struggles and get warmed up. Annually its a good fundraiser for the collegiate team I advise, but all the boys were at a regional qualifier in Pennsylvania - so I spent all of pre-tournament and mid-round sitting in a camping chair running the basket toss. So I never had a chance to find the timing. Saved a clean 5th place finish out of 16 by simply making a lot of 25 footers for par and grabbing a few birdies on the easier holes.

The cool thing about Bark at the Moon was that I got to see two guys that I have absolutely harassed for months to play shoot the hot rounds on the event. My buddy Nolan came out, after I literally bugged him until days before the tournament to get out there and play, and played Open for the first time. Tied Geoff Bennett in round 1, and then hung on for a 2 shot win. And my long time friend Evan Hughes came out and shot the hot round during round 2 to come around for a t3 finish - he was 3 behind me round 1 and wound up ahead of me by 4. (I was all alone in a bubble - 4 behind the guys in t3 and 7 ahead of 6th)

But yeah, so the next day - it just got worse for me. I got out to the private Sanctuary course in NW Ohio. A course that has had tens of thousands of dollars poured into it. Designed by Avery Jenkins and the son-in-law of the property owners it would have every bit the crazy installations that Eagles Crossing has - if the owner wasn't going for more of a classic look. The property is over an area with a high underground water level, and the property owners can simply "dig and wait" to get streams and ponds for the layout. And it is spectacular. And I just was a disaster. Just, again, didn't do any warmup because I wanted to just enjoy myself with friends... and it never came around. I couldn't get anywhere. Just continued to either release early or overthrow.

The end takeaway of my weekend was that, really, you gotta take time to throw through your issues. Most of the time you can't just play competitive holes and expect a slump to go away. If you're not establishing your footwork and timing through repeated throws to identify your proper swing - it is going to be much much harder to find your shot. Obviously sometimes you can, but its just so much harder.

This was probably the worst cumulative set of days of golf I've played in a row in... I don't even know how long. Years. I don't think I've played this bad 3 days in a row since I tried to play GBO on an ankle the size of a softball half a decade ago. Just whew.

I'm ready to get out in the field.

A few photos from the Sanctuary.

Here is the course map. Though a bit out of date. Hole 6 now plays an additional 150' around the pond set in the woods. Hole 8 is now 325' and plays out of a gap in the woods. Hole 9 uses that space to become a 900' par 4 playing along the woodline/creek. Hole 12 now plays around 1100' feet. Hole 15 has been reversed and lengthened to 330', which enabled turning 16 into a par 4 playing out of the woods.
Sanctuary-DiscGolfPark-Course-Map-e1632486497554-1200x800.jpg

This is hole 2, and the view that greeted us once the fog started to clear. This hole plays out over a water carry to the peninsula sticking out on the left. Going straight at the basket its a good 370' to clear, and about 300'-370' depending how far left you want to play it safe.
attachment.php

And here's hole 4, playing out to an island green that was created by digging out the space around it and using the dirt to build up a nice backstop on the backside. As noted in the post above - the property is dig-and-wait for any water hazards they want to create. But, also important, all waterways do connect to a natural stream system that allows water to keep flowing throughout the year.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.35.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.35.12 PM.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.33.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.33.52 PM.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 145
Lovely fall day at Ditto Farms.

Player 2 beat player 1 with ease. ;)

Nice views!
Spectacular course. Here are a few more for funsies. When I visited on Sunday the designer said that they were tentatively thinking about getting the place onto the Silver Series in 2025. But its VERY tentative. He's always kinda shied away from running something big like that.

First 2 photos from last fall. Last photo from last summer.

Here is the view down from the middle of the hill that hole 3 plays around, toward 3's tee. Behind the players to the left you can see the tee area and first half of the fairway of hole 7. Top right corner you can kinda catch where 7 hits the bend and heads uphill toward the pin. This hole (3) plays as a par 3 in the low 400s around a large hill designed for a zip line over the lake.
attachment.php

This is the view up the 330' hole 15 to its elevated green. A straight laser beam of a shot up a tight tunnel - a real nice short par 3 for the top-level pros at 330' to a nicely manicured green with a Winthrop-esque structure elevating the basket.
attachment.php

This is the view backward from hole 17's basket, a 330' par 3 as well. This is one of the easier holes on the layout, but wow is it a gorgeous view out over the lake in virtually all directions.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.42.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.42.47 PM.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.44.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.44.06 PM.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.45.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.45.46 PM.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 111
I just went to the field and threw bombs, some went far.

It made me feel good.

I played a solo round at local 18 hole course today and had a really good day, did not get in trouble once. And I needed it, I have been in a slump recently and the last round I played it got so bad I was just about ready to give up for a while.:doh: