So, how did you play today? Part II

Dragged my friend Mark to Hidden Ridge for his introduction to this fine course. Mark played about as well as a fellow MA60 can play on his first look at the course with lots of tight lines and a fair amount of distance required. I alternated throwing well and putting badly with throwing and putting badly with throwing badly and putting well. Still, for me, Hidden Ridge is about the experience and a few memorable shots. It definitely did not disappoint!

We found ourselves with most of the rest of the day free so decided to drive down to West Sixth Farm (about 10 minutes north of Frankfort) for craft beer and a look at their 18 hole course. We wound up both loving the course, with its solid design (and only minor annoyances), and having a lot of fun despite the (at times) howling wind. One firm conclusion... I need to practice more in the wind and bag a solid OS mid.

Played a cool, urban tournament on Sat. 17 holes in downtown Pontiac MI. Supposed to be 18 holes, but the 14th basket got stolen. 5th year for this gig. Last year was a foot of snow. Really a unique and fun tournament. 34 urban holes and 18 course holes, about 7 min down the round. One of my fellow MA60 shot the hot round [out of 70 total competitors] on the urban course and I was fifth hottest. Pretty good day for the old geezers!!

Played a cool, urban tournament on Sat. 17 holes in downtown Pontiac MI. Supposed to be 18 holes, but the 14th basket got stolen. 5th year for this gig. Last year was a foot of snow. Really a unique and fun tournament. 34 urban holes and 18 course holes, about 7 min down the round. One of my fellow MA60 shot the hot round [out of 70 total competitors] on the urban course and I was fifth hottest. Pretty good day for the old geezers!!
Someone stole the basket?! :ROFLMAO:

Someone stole the basket?! :ROFLMAO:
Well......it was kind of inevitable. Part of this temp course runs through some pretty sketchy parts of Pontiac. We even had to skip one hole, as a driver decided to pull up illegally, in an alley and park with their front bumper to hole 15's pin. We have had some pretty interesting encounters, with the locals over the years, lol. :giggle:

Well......it was kind of inevitable. Part of this temp course runs through some pretty sketchy parts of Pontiac. We even had to skip one hole, as a driver decided to pull up illegally, in an alley and park with their front bumper to hole 15's pin. We have had some pretty interesting encounters, with the locals over the years, lol. :giggle:
I've always wondered about that tournament - do they actually coordinate with anyone to let the city know they're doing it, or is it just guerilla disc golf?

I've always wondered about that tournament - do they actually coordinate with anyone to let the city know they're doing it, or is it just guerilla disc golf?
The two "leaders" of Driftwood Disc Golf have a good relationship with the city. Through it, they were able to get the course at Hawthorne Park [now Pontiac Oaks] put in. It is my understanding the the park has been taken over by Oakland County now, but that is kind of a different conversation. They indeed have worked with the city on the urban course. Pre COVID, we would take out garbage bags and collect trash as we played. The first year they had pictures of a huge pile of trash collected. The area businesses are also very supportive...obviously bringing 70-100 golfers downtown, on a Sat afternoon, has that effect.

The two "leaders" of Driftwood Disc Golf have a good relationship with the city. Through it, they were able to get the course at Hawthorne Park [now Pontiac Oaks] put in. It is my understanding the the park has been taken over by Oakland County now, but that is kind of a different conversation. They indeed have worked with the city on the urban course. Pre COVID, we would take out garbage bags and collect trash as we played. The first year they had pictures of a huge pile of trash collected. The area businesses are also very supportive...obviously bringing 70-100 golfers downtown, on a Sat afternoon, has that effect.
I'll have to try and make it out next year. I'm glad it's not just guerilla golf 😁

Took advantage of the gorgeous weather yesterday in northern Kentucky and played an after work round at Devou. Really odd round as my drives and putts were better than I've had all year and I birdied two holes (which has been an issue for me for the past few months). I thought when I finished my round that I might have had my best round ever at Devou. I was pretty stunned to see I was +12 (previous best +8), but in hindsight I lost probably eight strokes by making throws where I had a 5% chance of actually executing the shot (yeah, 220' tunnel shot I'm talking about you).

Snuck in lunch rounds Tuesday and Wednesday. Work's been super stressful lately, so it was great to get a break in the middle of the day to chuck some plastic. I played ok. Driving was good and bad. Putting was decent. Think I fluffed every single approach yesterday.

I'm really glad to have a course near the office now, but that park is goose crap city. I normally don't wash my discs, but I'm going to have to start.

Played an early round at my local wooded meatgrinder long tees. I was doing much better off the tee (thx again SW!) and shaved 10+ strokes off the last two runs at that course. A lot of "alright but not good enough" upshots. Beautiful day, got to see the local family of deer again. Hoping for a sneaky lunch round on the local pitch-n-putt tomorrow.

Played a tournament yesterday, and took 1st in FPO against a couple friends. It was at one of my favorite courses, and while I didn't play my best, just playing consistently, and not giving up strokes the second round was enough to squeak out the win by 1 stroke.

Then we went out today, and my body reminded me how out of shape I am, this early in the season... 😅😮‍💨

Amped to post here tomorrow or day after! Johnny Roberts in Denver, don't care how muddy.

Last time I was in Denver in 11 it got lost in a blur of courses. It'll be the only layout this trip due to snow and mud issues. So excited anytime I play anywhere just different from home.

First tournament in my country this year, yesterday, small, pretty casual. Signed up for MPO to have a challenge.

The weather wasn't great, rained a little, 20 mph winds and gusty, but temperatures stayed above freezing the entire round, even got into the 40s.

I played alright, stayed in bounds, mostly on the fairway, drives were pretty good, upshots were pretty good, scrambling was hit&miss, putting was a bit off.

After 16 holes I was sitting in 11th, but figured that if I birdied the last two I might snag a top 5. The first one is one of the easier holes on the course and I parked it, drop in bird. Second is probably 4th or 5th hardest but 2nd hardest birdie; 360' tree tunnel that opens up at the end, very downhill and a double mando at the narrowest part of the tunnel, about 120' from the pin, to make sure people don't go over.

We had a strong tailwind, so I decided to go with a Polecat on a hyzerflip line, gave it an acerun and had a 20' putt from an ice patch left for birdie which I cashed, only birdie on that hole the entire day.

Ended in T4, really happy with that finish. Glad tournament season is starting up again, and I need to work on my tournament putting for sure.

I was throwing off the tee like a monster and putting like a different kind of monster. Probably Elmo.

Still got second in league but it should have been an amazing round.

I was throwing off the tee like a monster and putting like a different kind of monster. Probably Elmo.

Still got second in league but it should have been an amazing round.
elmo-sinking.gif

Got out to Mt. Airy yesterday. It's my least favorite of the Cinci "Big Three" and definitely the least suited to my game. The wind was ferocious at times, which gave me a good opportunity to work with my overstable discs. I did a fairly good job of managing to keep the disc in play and minimizing putts, so I was generally happy with my round. Not a great score, but it felt like my best round at the course.

Oh, and I scored a gummy Roc out of the used disc bin at the Nati. :)

Had Clark's Run all to myself and Red Dog on a breezy afternoon. Couple of metal hits on the putter course but no joy. Leaned on my "stable" (i.e., less understable) discs in the wind tunnels. Some birds and some bogies. Had fun!

Played Johnny Roberts in Denver yesterday with my friend Justin. We were supposed to hit up Beaver Ranch Saturday, but snow put the kibosh on that.

That was fun! I had played it in 2011 but it got lost in the mass of courses played that week. I ran out an Aviarx3 only round, plus my putting putters. Had a nice clean start with it to 6/6 and then started running aces after my first miss, which I'll blame on a long search for a disc Justin got from the Eagle discmania collection, on its first round in his bag (lost to the high seas). Held onto putting focus til 13 then forgot how to aim. Wound up losing to Justin by one. Also we both hit the number plate on 18. Cancelled our dollars. Lol.

Great spot to really groove your short discs.

Last edited:
Tied for second place in FA1 at the C-Tier hosted at Boyertown Park this weekend. First sanctioned tourney since 2021. Lost by 2 strokes. It was very very windy. On the plus side, I shot almost 100 points better than my rating. I'll take it. Shot +6 the first round, +1 the second. I won CTP on Hole 2 by a few feet and got to snag a sick golf ball ESP Buzzz from the prize pile. Other than some bad shot selection and having to report a cardmate the first round for bad behavior (which is where I hit a mental snag and added a couple strokes), it was a fun day. Makes me want to sign up for more tournaments. Shoutout to the TD for a well-run first tournament. She earned her stripes and should do more in the future.

Latest posts