• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, this isn't a dye.....but, it's cool!

801.02 B
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

Ya know. I have often wondered a couple of things about the origin of the "painted with a material of detectable thickness" part of this rule.
What was somebody doing that created a perceived advantage that brought about this rule? Has it to do with safety in some way?

My next question is this; If this part of the rule was removed, how would it or could it effect the sport in a negative way?

As far as I am concerned, throw the thing. Bothers me not.

Ron

Paint and stickers add weight to the disc

What does that hurt? thread drift, but def curious, a heavier disc would only be more useful into a headwind right? I wouldn't think a heavier disc is going to fly futher, but also know nothing about physics and didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night.

during the cold months i leave my glow tape on my disc, mainly becase i am lazy.

OP, that is sick and i would def be interested in commissioning a trophy disc from you.

^I'm also in the curious boat.

Discs are PDGA legal from <150g-180+. So at any given time players may be throwing discs with a 30g weight difference. What's a few more added grams from a sticker or some paint? For instance, someone adds a 10g sticker (which would be HEAVY for a sticker) to a 160 disc, it would still fall well below the max weight . So what gives?

OP, that is sick and i would def be interested in commissioning a trophy disc from you.

Just an FYI - This thread is a couple years old - it was just revived as a place to argue about this rule. Looks like OP hasn't logged on since February.

I would also conjecture that a paint or coating could alter the aerodynamics of the disc. that may well be one of the reasons for this rule.

how much weight do the discs gain with this paint application?

also lid like discs fly farther and more stable with extra weight. the rule may have been written with lids in mind.

Disc Golf Companies Sell us our discs with stickers on them already--- They are sold to us as illegal discs

Does there have to be a reason for the rule? Games have rules that's what makes them games. Who cares why? Why are you only allowed to bag 14 clubs in 'stick' golf?

Please discuss the rule in the rules forum. It's in place just to ensure we all have the same discs. simple as that. As for the painting YEA !! Iv'e tried airbrushing and it didn't work out but that flexible primer may be the ticket.

have these been thrown & how is the paint holding up?

WOW that's a great idea! Use some vinyl to make a sick trophy disc, or just do some great paint work and leave it. Hope to see more of this from you, Garret!

That was my exact first though when I saw that. Make a sick Trophy Disc. I might have to pull out my compressor and some House of Kolor paint and give it a try.

Air Brushing ?

If this technique is for trophys/wall hangers , I can't imagine why you wouldn't just pass the pallate to an airbrush artist and take it to the limit ?
And personally , I don't care about glow tape or whatever on your disc for casual rounds . Also not going to worry about foot faults either .

have these been thrown & how is the paint holding up?

I've yet to throw one of these, Chevis. They really have just become talking points when I have disc golf company fumbling through my stacks. I need to try them out in the field just to see how they fly.

If this technique is for trophys/wall hangers , I can't imagine why you wouldn't just pass the pallate to an airbrush artist and take it to the limit ?
And personally , I don't care about glow tape or whatever on your disc for casual rounds . Also not going to worry about foot faults either .

So you can do it yourself, and it was just a cool idea to begin with, simple as that. They do look sweet even with nothing else on them, really shiny and glossy. Definitely catches people's eyes when they're looking through the plastic. I'll try to remember to post a pic of the only one I've put vinyl on.