• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed

Drewford

I think this question probably gets asked a lot, sorry of I'm missing the threads it's in. Is the speed on a disc how fast you should throw it or how easily it travels through the air? (Does that make sense?)

It's basically how fast YOU have to throw it to get it to fly as rated.

I think this question probably gets asked a lot, sorry of I'm missing the threads it's in. Is the speed on a disc how fast you should throw it or how easily it travels through the air? (Does that make sense?)
Both.

1) As Zimmy said, to achieve the intended flight pattern, "faster" discs need to be thrown at higher velocities than "slower" discs.

2) Faster discs are also more aerodynamic than slower discs. As Innova puts it: "Speed is the ability of the disc to cut through the air...." so they tend to retain their initial speed longer.

That 2nd statement might lead you to think they should go farther than slower discs... which they are certainly capable of doing - if you can crush them. However, most players never see bigger distances from high speed drivers, because even though they cut through the air better, they begin to fade at higher speeds than slower discs, which continue to fly straight and maintain glide at lower speeds. High speed discs need to be travelling fast to avoid fading. Hence, when people don't get them "up to speed," they reach the speed at which they will fade and die relatively early in the flight.

Whereas a slower disc thrown at the intended speed won't fade until it's going much slower than the high speed disc was when it began to fade... and likely travelled farther before it started fading (even if it's less aerodynamic profile robbed it of velocity moreso than the faster disc)... because it is designed to fly at lower speed.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
it's both...hence the confusion

a high speed overstable disc thrown by a slower arm will nosedive fade into the ground very quickly

a high speed understable disc thrown by a slower arm will go very fast and straight and far in a hurry

if a high speed disc is thrown by a faster arm you will see much different flight paths than these above