• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Spider Awareness

Spider Awareness Poll

• I currently bag a Spider

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • I have thrown a Spider recently but do not bag currently

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I know a Spider thrower

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • I have seen Spiders thrown

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • I have seen a Spider on the course once maybe

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • I have never seen anyone throw a Spider

Votes: 56 35.0%

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Do you bag a Spider? Used to? Know anyone that does? Ever seen someone throw a Spider? Do tell. This thread is an attempt to gauge the number of Spider throwers still in the wild.

I have thrown and have seen Spiders thrown, but not since like 2008. :|

Everybody I knew who threw Spiders ended up switching to Cros, which I also haven't seen anybody throw in the last like five-six years.

Last edited:
I have thrown a CE Spider for years. The stamp is worn off. It's the only disc that I know I can completely rely on to do what I want or expect it to do. I've never tried any other Spider so I have nothing to compare it to as far as how Spiders fly in general. But this one has always been money for me.

Attachments

• CE Spider (2).jpg
    CE Spider (2).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 98
I have thrown a CE Spider for years. The stamp is worn off. It's the only disc that I know I can completely rely on to do what I want or expect it to do. I've never tried any other Spider so I have nothing to compare it to as far as how Spiders fly in general. But this one has always been money for me.

Holy crap, I just saw that there are CE Spiders listed on the PDGA approved discs list and was like, how many of those people can there be? At least one.

Holy crap, I just saw that there are CE Spiders listed on the PDGA approved discs list and was like, how many of those people can there be? At least one.

I have never seen anyone else throw one but a local guy I played golf with a couple years ago talked about losing one and only having two more left as back ups. He throws farther than I do and says they have good distance for being a mid. Mine is like a Roc that has never lost that thing most Roc lovers love about Rocs. Great, straight glide with a reliable fade at the end.

Everybody I knew who threw Spiders ended up switching to Cros, which I also haven't seen anybody throw in the last like five-six years.

Yeah, I remember people throwing Cros. Especially people that like to FH. That was another mid that I thought was okay but never saw the appeal.

I used to throw a star spider when I first started playing. It was even my first ace disc and lives happily retired in my garage. Nice disc for short and straight. Didn't have quite the distance potential of something like a Roc, kind of a tweener between a putter and mid distance wise, but very controllable. Nice disc for a jack of all trades, master of none.

I have never chosen to bag an Innova Spider, because there have always been other midranges that I have preferred. But, I have thrown some Spiders in a ball field on a few occasions when testing midranges that were new to me.

Spiders were available in DX, Champion and Star plastics then; not sure if they are still sold in Champion now. I suppose I liked the Star plastic models best, but felt that the rim on a Spider seemed too shallow/small for my hand. I ended up bagging Star Cros for a couple of years, and then eventually turned to throwing putters (Shield, Harp) for most anything under 270 ft.

From what I remember, I do not think that I would choose to throw Spiders more than 270 ft because they did not seem stable enough to reliably handle the velocity required to get to that distance. If a person wants to use one for shorter distances, and likes the feel of the rim, it will probably be a fine approach disc.

I used to throw a Champion Spider, decent enough disc but nothing special.

A guy I know putts with DX Spiders, he's not to bad either.

I have never seen nor have thrown a Cro though!

We use a spider as catch disc on lunch, two coworkers are forehand dominant so spider works out better than the mako i bring out. They fly nice but i have that slot covered in my bag so wouldn't purchase one.

This thread reminds me of the myth (or is it?) that we are never more than 3 feet from a spider.

I have a DX spider I bag with some frequency. nice, predictable workhorse. didn't know they were so rare out there!

One of the top 10 players in Colorado only putts with Spiders. I'm sure he approaches and drives with them as well.

I happen to have a Pro Line Spider if anyone out there wants it.

Wasnt there a big deal about the multipurpose stamp verbiage being removed like PFNs etc?

Screw that dark blue champ (might as well of been black) spider i spent hours of my life looking for. Finally left that SOB behind and found a real mid i was using as a putter.... The skeeter :eek: :wall:

there wasnt a poll option for me. i used to bag one of those bricks. great approach disc. i have a dx preflight numbers somewhere. they rule.

Wasnt there a big deal about the multipurpose stamp verbiage being removed like PFNs etc?

Screw that dark blue champ (might as well of been black) spider i spent hours of my life looking for. Finally left that SOB behind and found a real mid i was using as a putter.... The skeeter :eek: :wall:

My dad uses a Skeeter DX as a Driving Putter shot. Then the Skeeter as a short midrange/long approach for when he did not use his Rubber putter.

I know of a player an Uncle who still uses a Spider one DX Beat to fly more straight and a newer looking one as his approach disc.

My Brother uses a DX Gator beat to fly straight as his putter, a DX newer looking one for approach shots and a MF Gator for his driving putter spot and wood shots he would not use his newer looking DX Gator.

I used to throw a star spider when I first started playing. It was even my first ace disc and lives happily retired in my garage. Nice disc for short and straight. Didn't have quite the distance potential of something like a Roc, kind of a tweener between a putter and mid distance wise, but very controllable. Nice disc for a jack of all trades, master of none.

Some Faster putters still use a Beat DX Spider as their disc to use for putting, also a good approach disc as well, My uncle dose both.

Latest posts