• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spike Anny bombs

Thanks again everyone. I'll work on it. I may revisit this post with a video of me attempting this. It's just awkward for lack of a better descriptive term. Tech, overhand shots tend to hurt me a little and I don't think I have the overhand height/distance for this one.

Thats why my friends use the spike anny, and I understand after feeling my shoulder when I do it a lot, but that high anny always looked very awkward to me.

I think there's 2 ways to go about it. Throw an understable disc (Monarch, Pro Katana, etc.) high and flat and let it do its thing or throw a slightly more stable disc on a high anny line (the Beast always worked great for me). There's also the wind to consider, especially living in Oklahoma. Any kind of a headwind, I'd go for the flat turnover line, but with a tailwind I'd go for the arching anny line.

Spike annys likely turn into rollers or cut roller, and if you hit anything along the way its likely going to fade back hyzer. The safer shot would be a FH spike hyzer or a thumber.

agreed I think were making this shot more complicated than it needs to be...

some of these lines im even having a hard time picturing in my mind :doh:

I have played that hole...my suggestion is some sort of overhand. I tried 3 different discs, including my wife's 150G and still couldn't get it high enough of an anhyzer over.

Spike anny definitely can go roller, I'd use an Avenger SS for that one... have you tried overhanding some 150's? I find them easier on the arm maybe a firebird?

I throw road runners for big any's usually, but the get to the point of rolling more often than not. So a beat up valk or a sidewinder is what i usually pull out.

I throw a spike anny that doesnt turn into a roller but it just sits down. I throw a roc on a anny angle and it goes around and just sits down. I only use it on one hole that is shaped like backwards question mark.

Spike annys can be good a indicator of form flaws. If you're not getting anything on it and they just come crashing back to the earth, you're likely strong arming the disc. These shots require using your hips/torso and bringing the disc close to your chest. This video is poor quality but it shows the shot I think you're referring to at Norman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7URXGpgno

I have a shot thats really similar on the course that i most reagularly play at. For reference I throw a surge on this one.

My tip is to imagine where you think the apex should be, then put all your focus and energy into lazering the disc straight at that apex with a really strong anhyzer to it (45degrees), if you get the disc through the apex on a strong annie your home and dry.

Imagine the line you want to hit with the disc. Trace it from the basket, to the apex of the shot, back to the pad, and all the way back to the farthest point of your reach back. Reach back and touch the spot with the disc and adjust your arm and get it on the same line that you just created in your head. That will tell you where you need to go with your run up and swing motion.

As far as what disc to use and whatnot. Practice hitting the apex that someone pointed out earlier, throwing with nose up, nose down, flat, hyzer+ nose down, anny + nose up etc etc, use every disc in your bag. If you do this enough times, you'll learn more than one shot. I say to practice throwing at the apex, on your imaginary line, because that is the point where the disc is supposed to take over the workload and get the job done. Your job is to get it to that point with the right disc, at the right speed, with the right angles.

But, that's just like my opinion, man.

Last edited:
7lions.jpg

Here is a pic of this hole looking from the tee. On the other side of the treeline is a grassy hill. The basket is located as far left as you can see on the hill and at the top. I usually throw something stable low through the trees and hope it fades up toward the basket, but you really can't park the hole with this shot. The big guns go up and over. I tried throwing my flippy stuff on a straight high turnover line, and I just don't have the zip/pop factor at this angle. the disc turns hard, but catches the tops of the trees. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with taking a 3 on this hole, I'm not fine with not being able to go up and over yet....

Yeah, that definately would be a tommy for me unless you can throw around the left of that treeline, then it might be a forehand throw.

The 167g flippy star Katana almost made it yesterday. When the winds are from the south, I'll be able to go up and over using the high flat turnover. Success.

Latest posts