• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putting 101

I really like the BlakeT short arm putt technique. I tried using it exclusively about 6 months ago, and I had some good success with it. My problem was that I could never get consistent with my release height. I would always be dead on the pole, but from the same spot and what felt like the same putt I'd be all over the chastity belt and front rim. It was a useful exercise thought, as a lot of the principles have been helpful to work into a more push put style.

If you're serious about spin putting, remember to keep your legs involved. Get a good push from your rear leg. And, it's more wrist than arm. Make sure you are releasing the disc before the elbow gets fully extended. Involving the legs helps that.

I really like the BlakeT short arm putt technique.

I have had the best results by far with the short arm. Putting is so linked to confidence and for some reason it synced in with some long stretches of 25-30' makes early in the adoption. Suddenly I just believed in the motion and it's been a big turn around for me.

I probably don't make that many more putts from the circles edge, but I almost never doink one inside 20 since switching.

Oh no! That's the clinic that convinced me to drink the Feldberg Kool-aid. He sells it but it doesn't translate. It took me a few months to snap out of it....or spin out of it. I now spush putt as well.

had this problem for a while, put a lot of ideas in my head and it was way too much to think through while trying to putt. So when I practice or warm up the first half of my putting I think through those things like up the pole, not bending the elbow, opening the wrist to point at the pole, finger spring, etc. then the second half of my putting time I just think "put it in the basket"

In all honesty I putt nothing like Feldberg and I think trying to putt like him is useless. but I think creating some muscle memory of the basics he teaches is helpful. I get those basics warmed up or practiced then mix that into my personal putting style which is more mcbeth-esp spush with the slight elbow pop and cocked wrist, and don't think about Feldberg's ideas anymore. figuring this out took me way too long and caused me to putt really badly for a good while.

Also I recently figured out I putt slightly nose down. which I always assumed I wanted to putt nose-up but I figure a lot of pros putt nose down so its not a big issue I just have to aim higher!

My putting is so inconsistent, one day its spot on, the next I can't hit a 10 foot putt. I switch back and forth between styles it seems, which I'm sure is a huge part of my issue. I'm really confident within 15 feet, and straight arm putt, or I guess pitch putt, and feel good with that. My issue is outside my circle, I'm clueless. I always lay up instead of making runs at the basket, and I'm usually straight at the basket but well short. This snake strike approach may help out, hopefully. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow for sure.

my idea would be to focus less on curling your wrist and focus more on snapping it at the end of your extension. try to get more bang for your buck: that's technique at work. the energy will come from your legs and body unless you have a weird putting style like i do.

the "snake strike" metaphor, if it works for you, whatever. but i find it lacking and that's my .02. your wrist needs to be fast, just like during a drive. the easiest way to make your wrist fast isn't by trying to snap it open. it's by moving the rest of yourself in such a way to make your wrist move faster than it can by itself - that comes from the body. the forward motion will load your wrist naturally and then you can worry about how much to help it along and where to stop your wrist extension to guide the putt.

Last edited:
Wow...a lot to consider.

I was totally sold on the feldberg style. I was a horrible putter and it helped a lot.
For me it's the teaching "cues" that really help me.
Like painting the pole, loose front grip/tight rear grip. Handshake...etc.

The youtube clinic made a big difference as I learned a routine. I was doing a drop style putt where I would miss a lot and when I missed I was far away.
Push putting, Climo style got me pretty good within 20' and from 25'-40 if luck is with me I hit a few here and there. I seem to also be able to do much better downhill, hitting more from 25-30'
In the 1025 game my best ever is 615 and I can average 450-500 regularly but it's all short stuff, I'm lucky if I hit 1 from 30-35'. The only good thing is when I miss (calm to light wind) its always close. So I know I'll loose a few strokes learning to spin, but in the wind and low ceilings I miss big anyway.
Going to try I guess what is traditional spin then maybe some spush too, see what feels good.
Thanks so much for all the input.
From 40' out I'm better flicking my Sonic...lol ....to lay up.

Couple of questions:

Grip, I used to do a fan grip with my index finger on the rim, then I moved it under and dos better from father out. When you guys spin or spush hoq do you grip it? In that Dunipace video he looks like he uses a power grip.

Disc Position: I played with gripping the disc at anot 12 O'clock instead of my usual 2 O'clock. Seemed like I could get more spin on it push and spin putting. Any suggestions?

I only spin putt and I use a fan grip, but it's a bit modified. My pointer finger is separated from the other fingers a little bit, and the pinch is actually between my thumb and middle finger. I lose power and control though if my pointer finger is curled around the rim on the outside, so it is underneath the flight plate.
The back of my hand faces the pole before the release so I'd guess 11 or 12 o'clock. I just make sure when my wrist opens that it finishes directly lined up with the pole and that I've kept the disc on the line the whole time. Keeping that disc on the line eliminates most of your left/right miss variables.

Also, I might get slammed for this, but I think everyone tends to overstate how difficult putting is. It's really not as hard as we've collectively decided that it is. We're all caught up in the little details - this or that putter, this or that style, etc. - when ultimately you're tossing the disc in the basket. If you've decided that it's difficult then you're already setting yourself back before you've even started and added another mental hurdle. Change your mindset first. The basket is there, I'm here, I just need to toss the disc in. I don't have any thought one way or the other about the end result of the putt when I'm addressing it. It's a foregone conclusion in my mind that the putt will be successful because I trust my body to execute the shot. Make/miss doesn't even enter into it. Be confident and put the disc in its home.

I only spin putt and I use a fan grip, but it's a bit modified. My pointer finger is separated from the other fingers a little bit, and the pinch is actually between my thumb and middle finger. I lose power and control though if my pointer finger is curled around the rim on the outside, so it is underneath the flight plate.
The back of my hand faces the pole before the release so I'd guess 11 or 12 o'clock. I just make sure when my wrist opens that it finishes directly lined up with the pole and that I've kept the disc on the line the whole time. Keeping that disc on the line eliminates most of your left/right miss variables.
Except for the bold part this is how I putt. My pointer finger stays on the rim.
Important part of this is keeping the back of the hand pointed at your target before release.

Also, I might get slammed for this, but I think everyone tends to overstate how difficult putting is. It's really not as hard as we've collectively decided that it is. We're all caught up in the little details - this or that putter, this or that style, etc. - when ultimately you're tossing the disc in the basket. If you've decided that it's difficult then you're already setting yourself back before you've even started and added another mental hurdle. Change your mindset first. The basket is there, I'm here, I just need to toss the disc in. I don't have any thought one way or the other about the end result of the putt when I'm addressing it. It's a foregone conclusion in my mind that the putt will be successful because I trust my body to execute the shot. Make/miss doesn't even enter into it. Be confident and put the disc in its home.

I totally agree with this. My thought is, too many people focus on the disc down instead from the stance up. I tried all the bizarre straddles, the Feldberg gibberish and the endless other body contortions frustrations and one day I just stood comfortably facing the basket, dropped my back leg to get a stable balance and practiced with every disc in my bag.

I found a certain depth that felt comfortable, a fan grip that worked and a stability of disc I liked, then I went and found a putter that matched what I liked instead of matching my style to a putter. I've been spin putting with Yeti's ever since and no longer question my decision when I step up to a basket.

Putting is a very personal thing, make it from your own person, not someone elses.

the "snake strike" metaphor, if it works for you, whatever. but i find it lacking and that's my .02. your wrist needs to be fast, just like during a drive.

I think the takeaway from the snake strike videos is that its that flick of the wrist towards the pole the basis of spin putting. Dunipace comes off headstrong in saying that's all you need, when in fact you can see him doing some healthy leg kick and body extension on his long puts.

in his video the most important part is the 0:55sec-1:05mark. but he then kind of muddies his point by saying "you don't need to follow through" when the specific way he does it (by snapping backwards after the wrist flick like a snake strike) is actually a form of follow through.

its like those blake-T drills and brodie smith forehand drills in reverse.

guys like uliberri, yeti, and lisotte all have smooth-looking motions but there's a flick/snap of the wrist towards the pole incorporating snake strike concepts but like a smooth forehand flick drive/backhand drive its all concealed in the motion.

Also, I might get slammed for this, but I think everyone tends to overstate how difficult putting is.

A few months back, I was practicing from 40-50' out in my back yard. When I let my buddy, who had never played in his life, take some long putts, he nailed his first 2 putts, back to back, from 40ft out. I was like "I just spent 15 min out here, and I've only hit 2 total from this far out." It showed me I was making it a bigger deal in my head and that spin putts are how a person with zero experience nails putts.

And as far as Feldberg's putting advice, he fills your head with concepts, and if you can sift through all his proud knowledge and discoveries about the science of putting, he does offer a few good points. I like his salad bowl visual and his reminder to focus on keeping the putter slightly nose up. Just be careful you don't get too lost in his "dominate eye" concept or his insistence on eliminating hinges. It sounds good on paper, but it made me crazy trying to apply it. In the end, incorporating spin gave me more control and consistency.

A few months back, I was practicing from 40-50' out in my back yard. When I let my buddy, who had never played in his life, take some long putts, he nailed his first 2 putts, back to back, from 40ft out. I was like "I just spent 15 min out here, and I've only hit 2 total from this far out." It showed me I was making it a bigger deal in my head and that spin putts are how a person with zero experience nails putts.

I was a pitcher when I played baseball, and I had a couple of coaches that would tell me the same thing on the occasion I ever had trouble locating my pitches: "Just play catch."
It meant quit thinking. You know how to do it so just let your body do it. Sometimes, you just need to get out of your head, turn your brain off, stand in front of the basket and just throw it in. Strip it down to basics and build around that.

I use a popular method to zone in on my target. I focus on a specific chain link I want to hit. It sounds silly, but it gets me to quit worrying about stance angles and release and just nail that one chain. The more I hit the link I'm aiming at, the more I trust my form, and I quit trying to control the mechanics of it so much. It's also helped me zone out distractions while I putt.

You know how to do it so just let your body do it. Sometimes, you just need to get out of your head, turn your brain off, stand in front of the basket and just throw it in.

To this point, when you throw a wad of paper in the trash, you don't consider what your wrist is doing, or what part of your body should propel it. You aim and adjust naturally.

Also, if you try too hard, your strain to attempt to focus ends up hindering you. If you're trying to remember a name, the harder you try to remember, the harder it becomes. It's usually after you relax and let it come to you when it pops in your head. You let the mind do its thing instead of trying to force it.

To this point, when you throw a wad of paper in the trash, you don't consider what your wrist is doing, or what part of your body should propel it. You aim and adjust naturally.

Also, if you try too hard, your strain to attempt to focus ends up hindering you. If you're trying to remember a name, the harder you try to remember, the harder it becomes. It's usually after you relax and let it come to you when it pops in your head. You let the mind do its thing instead of trying to force it.

I always say if you are telling yourself to concentrate, you're not concentrating. :clap:

Pretty much samesies.

it's hard to torque my wrist and get a good shot but i feel this is an accurate-ish representation of how i grip my putter. i use the top of my thumbpad and middle finger to push and fling the disc away as you can see by how my thumb is on the flight plate. you can also tell that there is a decent amount of palm ejection by how it sits in my hand. i do cock my wrist a bit as well.

IMAG0205_zpsw8x4xlsh.jpg

IMAG0208_zpsybiluoal.jpg

Latest posts