• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putting 101

This thread has completely effed me up.

That's because you might be trying to learn something from reading instead of doing.

There's no secret formula to learn how to putt. You have to practice and practice a lot. If you won't or can't do that then learn to come to terms with the fact you will stay a lousy putter.

Putting 101: Practice. :)

Yeah, I went out and tried all the snake oil. Short-arm, snake strike... it just felt wrong. It appears that Feldberg's still in my head. I'm even putting with a Dagger. :)

I am curious about guys like McCabe (apparently) and Dunipace who putt with more of a power grip. I don't really get how that could work.

The keys for me are the finger spring and the shoulder extension at the end. I really need those working to get the disc spinning enough to do its thing and they're the first things to go when I'm tired or not paying attention. Another trick I realized this morning is when putting uphill to come from the waist (left hip bone) and use some elbow, which is definitely getting into spush territory but that felt awfully good.

The Dagger's appeal is more about the Zero Medium plastic and the feel in my hand. Much like the Shield, I'm able to get a good enough grip to work the finger spring even if it's a little wet.

Here's the grip I came up with a few years back when I was finding that my pinky kept hooking the disc. This is what I use for spin putts.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 108
So this thread demonstrates a truth about putting, people do it a million different ways and are successful. My original post about making your current putt better was not to advocate for push putting vs spin putting, but one thing you don't see is good players adopting a drastically different form from 25' than from 20'.

If you like your current putt from 20' and in and find it accurate, work on taking small steps back from the range at which you're comfortable and start extending your range little by little through repetitions. I agree that there will be certain situations that having a different putt will be beneficial due to some obstacle, and it's always good to learn new shots. But one of the keys to putting well is having a motion that you trust and is consistent.

I rarely think about this technique or that technique. Sure like most of you I watch the videos and go out to the backyard and try it, practice it, tweak it to fit me....but thats not what I work on. When I miss a putt though..... I take a moment and think about what I did wrong. Where did "I" break down. Then I work on eliminating that error.

I rarely think about this technique or that technique. Sure like most of you I watch the videos and go out to the backyard and try it, practice it, tweak it to fit me....but thats not what I work on. When I miss a putt though..... I take a moment and think about what I did wrong. Where did "I" break down. Then I work on eliminating that error.

Exactly. You need to be the best putter you can be, not the best imitator of Professional Disc Golfer X. It's probably okay to borrow concepts, but I've never seen two people that putt exactly the same. Once you find YOUR putt, then it's pretty easy to start repeating it, and consequently, diagnosing issues.

There's no secret formula to learn how to putt. You have to practice and practice a lot. If you won't or can't do that then learn to come to terms with the fact you will stay a lousy putter.

Putting 101: Practice. :)
:hfive::clap:
I say just pick the putting style that works best for you & stick with it. You won't get better if you change it up all the time. Look at Barry Schultz. He has a unique putting style but he's a good putter because he's stuck with it so long.

This thread has completely effed me up.

Yeah, I went out today and threw my best 2 rounds so far, a +5 and later a +4, haven't been playing long, and I decided right now spin putting just isn't really for me. I have so many other things to focus on right now, I feel 110% more confident and comfortable push putting, so that's what I'll focus on until I get the rest of my game at least on par where it should be. This thread was however very informative.

Two things:
This is an old survey that shows the style spread, and different explanations of preferences.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93848&highlight=putting&page=6

This is a putting clinic from Philo. His strategy to block the right side of the basket with his shoulder (around 3:00 mark) has helped me with accuracy. If it goes right, I know I rolled my wrist. He backs out around 10:30, and shows how his style works from further out.

^ I feel like that may end up being the most helpful thing I've watched for quite some time.

On my work PC so can't see YT vids but will check them on my phone and watch. Being a push putter, new player who struggles with getting distance while push putting, I really wanted to switch to more of a spin putt approach outside of my little 20 foot circle. I can push putt pretty confidently within that area and don't have many issues. Thanks everyone who's given information or advice here.

One thing I noticed today while practicing my putting after a round is I always over emphasized the hand shake motion. My hand always ended up pointing to the basket, with my palm facing left. Today by accident I turned my palm up after putting and was amazed at the difference. I was spin putting with more of a straight path, more spin, less wobble and hitting the basket from much further out than before. Maybe it's been said before, maybe it's in the videos above, but by turning my palm up more it's a completely different feel, all for the better.

^ I'm no expert, but I would assume from what you're saying that you're likely getting a cleaner release and possibly putting a little more nose up. Combined, that should decrease wobble and add distance.

^ I'm no expert, but I would assume from what you're saying that you're likely getting a cleaner release and possibly putting a little more nose up. Combined, that should decrease wobble and add distance.

Yeah, it was really just one of those "ah ha!" moments when putting. Short push putts I'm golden with, and I'm really trying to reduce my 2 putts when I should only be getting 1 in or around my circle so this development for me is pretty awesome.

Yeah, it was really just one of those "ah ha!" moments when putting. Short push putts I'm golden with, and I'm really trying to reduce my 2 putts when I should only be getting 1 in or around my circle so this development for me is pretty awesome.

Congats. :hfive:

Just keep at it. It's often better to just continue experimenting on your own to see what helps or doesn't than to read the advice of others and get lost in technical jargon.

I have always been a terrible putter but I have developed new problem lately. I feel like I can't find a good position for my thumb. And when I lower my hand and start moving it toward the basket I unconsiously move my thumb somehow. Don't really know how as I don't do it if I really focus on it.

I try spin/spush putt, but don't get much spin on the disc and often end up nose down and short. I recently changed to Nova but I have tested maybe dozen putters in recent years.

I found myself puzzled by a lot in the videos. Stuff they said just doesn't match my experience.

When Feldenberg said that the window for a spin putt was tiny and the window for a push putt was large, I laughted out loud, for example. The windows--and margins for error--are the same for either. Push putting removes some joint movement to reduce the likelihood of alignment error, sure, though that doesn't change the size of the shot window at all.

And claims such as one should always putt with the nose up had me scratching my head. It has it's uses, sure, though it's certainly not something I'd recommend for all putts. Indeed, I usually want the nose down and the disc on a downward trajectory to the basket. I learned that from a pro ages back in Iowa and found that it reduced both the number of washouts and the distance for return putts, in general.

Good video, I liked the aiming portion when spin putting.
Helped me out in practicing today!

Any wrist drills to help with power & a clean release like the Blake T wrist videos ?

Thanks!

I found myself puzzled by a lot in the videos. Stuff they said just doesn't match my experience.

When Feldberg said that the window for a spin putt was tiny and the window for a push putt was large, I laughed out loud, for example. The windows--and margins for error--are the same for either. Push putting removes some joint movement to reduce the likelihood of alignment error, sure, though that doesn't change the size of the shot window at all.

And claims such as one should always putt with the nose up had me scratching my head. It has it's uses, sure, though it's certainly not something I'd recommend for all putts. Indeed, I usually want the nose down and the disc on a downward trajectory to the basket. I learned that from a pro ages back in Iowa and found that it reduced both the number of washouts and the distance for return putts, in general.

I almost totally agree with your criticism of Feldberg's push putt persuasive argument.

But, as far as putting nose up, it has helped me a lot. I'm not sure if I actually release the putter nose up, but I don't bury putts into the cage as much, and I don't over spin it to get it there, reducing accuracy. I do notice the wind will play with nose up putts more. Headwinds picks up the nose and tailwinds knock them down, so I imagine the windy conditions in Iowa require a little nose angle tweeking.

Latest posts