• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putting 101

I feel like I can get much better spin when I pinch the disc between thumb and index finger instead of middle finger, but sometimes disc pivots too much and ends up way to the right. With middle finger and thumb I get slip-outs and generally much less spin. Have to keep experimenting.

Try putting with your index finger on the rim. I tried it a few months back because I had similar frustrations. It took a little getting used to, but I found it helped me with accuracy and prevented me from pushing it over to the right.

It took me some adjusting for the lack of wrist spin, and it wasn't until just recently that I learned to get my legs more involved. Before, I felt the same lack of spin, and I was compensating with my elbow too much.

It's still a work in progress as I learn to use my body extension and leg kick to aim and adjust for wind from outside the circle, but I'm finally starting to feel comfortable, both with consistency and control. When I miss, I know what I did wrong, and its usually that I didn't push off enough with my back leg.

There's one thing that I keep having to remind myself:

-Throw it at the basket.

Yeah, that's important. My son forgets on occasion and will throw at random trees, houses, or people in the vicinity. We call him the Assassin.

I just accidentally put some spin in my push putt and, while the results are far from conclusive, I am feeling WAY better about my putting than I ever have. Killing it in the basement all of a sudden.

I'm still dropping down with a straight arm but on the upswing cock the wrist about 30 degrees or so. That little bit of wrist is enough get a nice spin on it. Looking at video it actually looks a little "snake-strikey" which was a surprise to me because I wasn't trying to do that. Now the Dagger is gliding the way it wants to. :thmbup:

I just accidentally put some spin in my push putt and, while the results are far from conclusive, I am feeling WAY better about my putting than I ever have. Killing it in the basement all of a sudden.

I'm still dropping down with a straight arm but on the upswing cock the wrist about 30 degrees or so. That little bit of wrist is enough get a nice spin on it. Looking at video it actually looks a little "snake-strikey" which was a surprise to me because I wasn't trying to do that. Now the Dagger is gliding the way it wants to. :thmbup:

What I noticed is when you do that tiny wrist snap towards the pole you get that smooth projectile feeling where you know it's going to hit the chains/pole fat.

It similar to what it feels like when you release a great jump shot and you see the ideal spin and know its going to swish.

It probably can effective be in combo putts like when you add that tiny snap to a push or straddle putt. There is a lot of timing involved though.

I was staring hard at Steve Brinster putting during a recent ice bowl I played at and he's interesting because it looks like a combo of all three straddle push and when outside the circle a spin putt. I swear I saw that little wrist snap on putts outside 25ft and definitely in the big spin on his grid stamped aviars.

How hard do u guys squeeze the disc in your hand comparing to driving? Pretty much the same or way less?

How hard do u guys squeeze the disc in your hand comparing to driving? Pretty much the same or way less?

Way less grip pressure than driving.

On a drive the disc is ripping out of my hand, which is the main source of spin. On my putts there's an actual disc release; the spin comes from a quick, assertive wrist snap that is timed with the release of the disc.

As you bring the disc back toward your gut for putts, do you keep your wrist straight and firm or should you curl it? Curling I dont do because it makes me miss left or right as I release it. When my wrist is straight and I actually follow through I know instantly if it's a good shot or not.