• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spit-outs. Flaw, or part of the game?

Are spit-outs a flaw in basket design, or just part of the game?

• Flaw in basket design

Votes: 80 39.8%
  • Part of the game that should be accepted

Votes: 121 60.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
vacuumbasket.jpg

I hope this doesn't suck my 'parked' or 'lsdiscs' hat off my head!!!

I think this thread, and specifically Chuck's post regarding lower skill players not minding larger amounts of luck in a game, is a perfect example of why everyone should have their player rating posted next to their years played on each post. This way I can just skip over GulfCoastGolfer, Dave242 and MNCyclone's posts rather than wasting my time reading them.

(Okay, maybe I am trolling a little :p)

Don't forget to skip over my posts too.

<----894

everyone should have their player rating posted next to their years played on each post.

ratings made on courses that have baskets that allow spit-outs are not true ratings, they are an attempt to rate people by skill when in fact we are playing on goals that are completely arbitrary in what frisbees they decide to catch or not. I am pro showing ratings once we get standardized baskets (or magical sucking objects) that are FAIR and played on by TRUE ATHLETES!!!!

spit-outs = the reason this sport didn't go lamestream ... i mean mainstream five years ago

If they go to a ball golf hole with 12 uniform scallops around it then I would agree our current target might be good enough. But there's no chain pattern that will ever provide a consistent and radially symmetrical target area as Discspeed points out. The chain pattern repeats every 30 degrees as you move around it and every degree moved is a different pattern. No one can see the changes from 30 feet away even if they were able to adjust their shot based on their knowledge of how the chains might respond at 42 degrees versus 54 degrees to their putt.

The poll results aren't surprising because park and rec surveys have indicated the lower the skill level the more luck or flukiness a person prefers or at least finds acceptable in a game. That's because if no luck was involved, the better player would always win. With fluky baskets and pinball alley fairways, the lower skilled player has a better chance.

What a jackass backhanded comment that was. Look, baseball players can see the stitching on a ball and determine between slider and fastball. Thats a ball coming 90 mph from 60 feet away. Hockey and basketball players just know where their teammates are for no look passes. Tennis players can determine exactly where that baseline is from five feet behind their own. Just because you can't see 30' doesn't mean it isn't possible, it means you need better glasses.

You know what keeps this sport from being mainstream? The belief that all of these third rate athletes actually represent the pinnacle of skill that one can have in this sport. Klimo represents a paltry amount of skill compared to what a professional baseball player could do in this sport. So if our crappy athletes can't do it the basket is fluky? Maybe you all just suck. :thmbdown:

You can hit the rim with a basketball but that doesn't mean its going in. You can hit the cup with a golf ball and it doesn't always stay in. I don't think all baskets should be the same either. Is the wall in center, left, or right field the same distance at every baseball stadium? A home run happens when a ball is perfectly hit. A 3 point shot, nothin but net, doesn't happen by accident. If spit outs bother you, then practice more. I think Climo has missed at least once or twice.

You know what keeps this sport from being mainstream? The belief that all of these third rate athletes actually represent the pinnacle of skill that one can have in this sport. Klimo represents a paltry amount of skill compared to what a professional baseball player could do in this sport. So if our crappy athletes can't do it the basket is fluky? Maybe you all just suck. :thmbdown:

explain to me how this holds back the sport and also leave your player rating behind as well. I hope it is halfway decent considering your 23 years of experience. but your paltry skill is holding everyone else back.

pure athleticism means you can read a chain pattern from 30+ feet. I bet a basketball player could do that! i mean he plays basketball so he must have great visual acuity

The chains ARE the design flaw. They change the game from flying a disc so it lands in a designated spot to throwing a ballistic projectile at a target.

Remove them, and the pole above the bottom of the basket.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Yes, any professional baseball player can walk onto a dg course and dominate. Congratulations, you win 1000000 internetz.

Yes, any professional baseball player can walk onto a dg course and dominate. Congratulations, you win 1000000 internetz.

yeah dude! climo isnt an athlete so he sucks and is holding the sport back, whereas basketball talent is what will make this sport go mainstream! you dont hear basketball players complain about the chain configs

spit-outs = the reason this sport didn't go lamestream ... i mean mainstream five years ago

I call BS. Are you telling me that a hockey puck that hits the underside of the cross bar and deflects out of the goal is any different than a spit out from a disc golf basket. Or how about a soccer kick that deflected off the side post? Or when a golf ball rolls into the cup but then bounces out (yeah, it happens)? What about when the object that is supposed to go into the target deflects off the frame of the target and still goes in? All sports that require putting something into a target have some luck involved with scoring. Disc golf is no different, and I'm sick of people complaining about the targets. I'm an 875 rated player who's been playing for a little over a year, so for those of you who want to completely ignore what I have to say because your pompous selves think that I have no idea what I'm talking about, that's fine, but the fact of the matter is that every sport has some amount of luck involved. Does it suck when you have a spit out? Yeah. But as someone else said, nobody adds a stroke when their sh**** putts still stay in the basket, but all of a sudden the baskets are flawed when a couple supposedly perfect putts didn't stick. If you want your putts to be perfect, hit the pole dead center one centimeter over the top of the basket. I bet it doesn't spit out then.

explain to me how this holds back the sport and also leave your player rating behind as well. I hope it is halfway decent considering your 23 years of experience. but your paltry skill is holding everyone else back.

pure athleticism means you can read a chain pattern from 30+ feet. I bet a basketball player could do that! i mean he plays basketball so he must have great visual acuity

Ugh, so if a baseball player can read stitching off of a baseball from 60' going 90 mph you don't think they could see stationary chains 30' away? Really?

As far as my player rating is concerned, what does that even matter? I have never said that I have ever made a perfect putt. I have never said I have achieved anywhere near perfection in this sport. I'm not holding anyone back because I am not considered a top player in this sport. When the top players in this sport can't see 1/2" chains from 30', it is embarrassing. With that being said my round average is 940 (not official, I haven't submitted a PDGA # for anything). Guess what hurts me, my terrible putting, not spit outs.

yeah dude! climo isnt an athlete so he sucks and is holding the sport back, whereas basketball talent is what will make this sport go mainstream! you dont hear basketball players complain about the chain configs

You do on my streetz homey. My boy T-dogg, he went up for a JR Rider slam and caught his pinky ring in the chain net. Ripped his fingah clean off, fo real. Had to call the amber lamps.

Ugh, so if a baseball player can read stitching off of a baseball from 60' going 90 mph you don't think they could see stationary chains 30' away? Really?

As far as my player rating is concerned, what does that even matter? I have never said that I have ever made a perfect putt. I have never said I have achieved anywhere near perfection in this sport. I'm not holding anyone back because I am not considered a top player in this sport. When the top players in this sport can't see 1/2" chains from 30', it is embarrassing. With that being said my round average is 940 (not official, I haven't submitted a PDGA # for anything). Guess what hurts me, my terrible putting, not spit outs.

we are never going mainstream if your natural athletic talent is preventing you from putting well! a basketball player could do that and he is a basketball player. that is embarrassing to the sport when the top basketball players cant read the stitching of a 90mph basket 30' away. I swear its like people dont want the sport mainstream, by playing with their paltry athleticism.

You do on my streetz homey. My boy T-dogg, he went up for a JR Rider slam and caught his pinky ring in the chain net. Ripped his fingah clean off, fo real. Had to call the amber lamps.

tell T-dogg he is not a real athlete. real athletes can read the chain configuration from 30' and dont complain about spit outs. his paltry athleticism is holding the sport back

we are never going mainstream if your natural athletic talent is preventing you from putting well! a basketball player could do that and he is a basketball player. that is embarrassing to the sport when the top basketball players cant read the stitching of a 90mph basket 30' away. I swear its like people dont want the sport mainstream, by playing with their paltry athleticism.

Yikes, apparently take what I wrote any way you chose. But really think (I know its scary, but trust me), if disc golf was the top sport in America, what would truly talented individuals do with it? Top athletes playing disc golf instead of any of the other sports. Do you think Klimo would win any of his championships? Do you think you or I could even win a mini? If Jim Thorpe played disc golf, would he be sitting around bitching about chain configurations?

Hit dead center of a:

soccer goal - 100% success.
hockey goal - 100% success.
basketball goal - 100% success.
dartboard - 100% success.
lacrosse goal - 100% success.
field goal uprights - 100% success.
ball golf hole - 100% success.
archery/gun target - 100% success.
dg basket - NOT 100% success.

Nope, no problem here. Our sport is completely legit and perfect in every way. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.