• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Stable drivers to throw on a hyzer flip

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
Just got back from a field session trying to work some OAT out of my throw, and I noticed that I tend to have more repeatable, successful results throwing everything with a bit of hyzer.

Obviously, this is easier to accomplish with putters, mids, and understable drivers. But I got to thinking: What about a stable-to-overstable driver? If I throw one of those with hyzer, they are less likely to flip to flat and more apt to hold the hyzer, right?

So I am curious - what do those who throw on a hyzer do for stable to overstable drivers? Do you throw something with some natural turn out of the box - an Eagle, for example - and use that to flip up? Or do you start with something like a Teebird and wear it in? Or are you such a disc golf stud that you have enough snap to flip anything to flat?

Curious to see how the discussion goes for this. I am usually throwing understable stuff, since I'm a lefty with not much power, but it will be interesting to see what most hyzer throwers favor.

I can't flip a proton volt to flat. Way too beefy for me.

I'm not looking for anything per se. Just curious about what others do.

I've been noticing the exact same thing. I get better more consistent good throws with a little hyzer. My servo like to hold the hyzer so I need to remember to keep it flat but I can flip up my lucid escape and watch it soar. Those are my only two stable drivers right now so that may not be much help.

Personally for this shot I love the Orc. I have a pearly pre flight champ that i can rip on a slight hyzer, it will stand up and go straight before a solid fade at the end. I dont have a big arm either. 350 with the Valkyrie and Orc. I just switch between the two depending on what the shot calls for.

Leopards. There is a reason a world champion's name is associated with it.

Edit: Didn't read OP. Um Valks. Also a world champion disc.

saint has the perfect amount of slight turn for me to release on a slight hyzer. watch that sucker turn into a flat line and ride it out to barely any fade at the end. sweet disc.

I use the Stag for hyzers; works well for my (low) power level...

My AIR Stag(s) will flip up with a little bit (<10 degrees) of hyzer and fly really straight. A little more hyzer (>10 degrees) and it will hold that line. I also have some super-flat 163g VIP Stags that are even more responsive to changes in release angle; I'll typically use these guys for big "hyzer bombs" and flex lines.

I can flip my beat S-PD to flat when thrown with a bit of hyzer. I suspect it's because of OAT, though :/.

I prefer a stable to ovoedstablw mold thats worn in for hyzerflips as far as driver go. For me they still finish left, where as molds that are out of the box hyzer flippers tend to wear in a way that they develop a late turn. Which is fine if thats what you want obv, but if youre looking to flip flat, go straight and have a gentle fade, a disc like a roadrunner may not suit that.

I like sidewinders, F5, P Pd, m sure there are others that fit the bill

Well obviously you would be better off just focusing entirely on mastering your form to perfection but that isn't the point of this thread. I throw all of my discs with varying angles, speeds, and other factors. My favorite for pretty straight, long, low-ish line drives thrown with plenty of power and roughly 5-10 degrees of hyzer would be my slightly worn 175 pinnacle rival. It flips to flat quickly and slowly turns not far to the right and late in the flight finally fades and lands usually left of the line I threw it on. My newest 175 icon patriot flies a pretty similar distance but is a tick more understable so if I want to throw a higher line (rarely) it works well. Or I can throw it on a low-ish line like the rival with a little more hyzer and it will fly even straighter than the rival but I find this shot a little tougher so I don't like it as much and I don't throw that shot as often at least on my home courses. I can also throw it on a low line with 5 degrees of hyzer and back off the power but I usually but not always prefer a buzzz thrown with a little more power for that shot.

On a side note I personally have found Innova's teebird and eagle ratings incorrect. I've found the average teebird x turns more than an average eagle x. Considering both "HSS" and "LSS" I find the eagle x to have more of both than the teebird x. I think the ratings eagle x: 0,3 teebird x: 0,2 or eagle x: -1,3 teebird x: -1,2 to be much more accurate in my experience. Obviously there are a lot of exceptions considering each disc leaving the mold and the factory is subtly unique in shape and structure. Is it strange that I also find that the eagle x beats directly into the same speed and stability as a newer teebird x when worn so if an average teebird x is 7,0,2 than I think an average eagle x is a 7,0,3 and eventually wears into a 7,0,2 until it continues to wear. Interesting how different players experiences vary.

Distance drivers I try to throw my Renegade with some good hyzer all the time. Gives me just the right amount of turn before hooking up. I also give the lucid trespass and opto havoc some hyzer but usually less unless it's a headwind then I give them quite a bit and power down a little. Let the headwind flip them a little for me. In slower drivers I always throw an escape with a little hyzer. I don't really throw much of anything flat or with anny unless I need to. Usually a putter or OS mid in that case. I try to throw somewhat US drivers and use a hyzer plane because it's consistent for me.

How about a Beast? Not on any extreme end of the spectrum, and if you can find a flat star Beast it'd be a flipping machine. Pre-flight numbers Beast might be even better, but perhaps others can confirm or deny that.

I'm not super powerful but I love putting the Lat 64 Bolt on a hyzer line... And it will flip. I think players with a little less power can really gain some D with this disc. I prefer the recycled one. The gold line is too under stable and the opto is a little too over stable. For me. Just my .02

PPD, sucka.

i've been working on my form, though, and don't have many instances of hyzer-throwing anymore unless i intend to, except on downhill tunnel shots. those still give me problems.

How does your Amp flip for you?

And what do you use for an OS driver?

Depends on the disc.. but Teebirds work well for this once they break in a little. Same goes for my PD and D1's. The Saint Pro seems nice for this as well. It really depends on the shot you need and how well you know the disc.. but i guess this applies to basically everything.

One of my fresh 175 star teebirds is pretty beefy and its still pretty much brand new.. If i put too much hyzer it just holds the hyzer line. The one its replacing.. which got wedged up in a palm tree would flip up pretty nice for me.