• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Stag vs Culverin vs Convict

Maybe the covict would be a good temporary replacement for my OS Stags until they come to their senses and put them out in Elasto..?

FTR, everyone needs to get out and try the Convict in support of one of the greatest women to play the game -Paige Peirce.

in fact, tomorrow is International Women's Day, which would be a perfect day to pick up her signature disc!!!

A few weeks ago I picked up a VIP Stag x-out just to try, since I have been curious about this disc for years.

I'm finding that it's a great pairing with my lucid convicts. A stable to understable fairway driver that isn't quite as flippy (read: not as touchy or uncontrollable) as a river for me. Lots of glide too. The river has moved to the roller/utility disc slot in my bag and all other fairway duties are covered by the stag/convict combo. I waited and waited for the river pro but I don't think it sounds anything like what I wanted - which was a slightly more stable river, not something like a champ teebird.

The stag definitely fits the role I was looking for alongside the convict. I think there would be a little too much overlap with the culverin - I found culverins to be slightly less overstable than convicts (which is why I went that direction instead)

It seems like many here feel that the Stag flies more understable than its numbers...is this the case?

I was looking at getting a Tournament one around 167g in hopes that it would give me a flight like my TeeBird but with a bit more length. Was also considering the Opto Spark and the Lucid Convict.

Thanks for any clarification!

TripleB

To me they are about 8/5/-1/2, there isn't and never has been a fade of three IMO. But they fly great. I have some that are more OS, some that are flippy, but all glide for days.

Culverin is just an awesome disc: very dependable, just OS enough to throw in wind, but nice glide too.

My initial Stags were slightly understable. I bought a new one that flies like the numbers would indicate. Not that different.

Don't know the Convict.

To me they are about 8/5/-1/2, there isn't and never has been a fade of three IMO. But they fly great. I have some that are more OS, some that are flippy, but all glide for days.

Thanks for the information! For my slower arm speed it may make it to the 3 fade :)

Culverin is just an awesome disc: very dependable, just OS enough to throw in wind, but nice glide too.

My initial Stags were slightly understable. I bought a new one that flies like the numbers would indicate. Not that different.

Appreciate the information!

In looking at your signature, it looks like I'm considering a lot of the discs you have: GL River to replace my Leopard3; VIP Tursas as my understable mid (I don't throw forehands so this would replace my Stratus as my right turner); an Opto Saint in the future hoping to use it as my straight distance disc; and now the Culverin in place of my Thunderbird.

TripleB

It seems like many here feel that the Stag flies more understable than its numbers...is this the case?

I was looking at getting a Tournament one around 167g in hopes that it would give me a flight like my TeeBird but with a bit more length. Was also considering the Opto Spark and the Lucid Convict.

Thanks for any clarification!

TripleB

If you max out distance around 315ish...a 172 Stag would give you Teebird like flight. Now if you throw over 340 then a Stag will fly straighter with a touch of turn and less fade than a Teebird. I would not go 167 TP Stag unless you throw under 300 max distance.

Hope that helps

If you max out distance around 315ish...a 172 Stag would give you Teebird like flight. Now if you throw over 340 then a Stag will fly straighter with a touch of turn and less fade than a Teebird. I would not go 167 TP Stag unless you throw under 300 max distance.

Hope that helps

That helps a great deal!!!

I tend to probably go lighter than I should on many disc (50 yo so I usually figure I'll get weaker as I age so I might should go light LOL ), and then wonder why they fly less stable than the numbers.

Really looking for a Trilogy Teebird/Thunderbird cross (like a true 8/5/0/2 flight) and it seems like my three best options are the Stag, Convict, or Thief.

Again, I appreciate your input!

TripleB

I like the max weight TP/R or VIP best, for me the VIP goes about 370-390 straight to fade, and the TP is like an Eagle L with more glide. I can hyzerflip it almost 400 or turn it over and let it do an S curve of flat, and if I give it just a bit of Anny and it will go right for days.

I usually carry one VIP and two TP or R.

That helps a great deal!!!

I tend to probably go lighter than I should on many disc (50 yo so I usually figure I'll get weaker as I age so I might should go light LOL ), and then wonder why they fly less stable than the numbers.

Really looking for a Trilogy Teebird/Thunderbird cross (like a true 8/5/0/2 flight) and it seems like my three best options are the Stag, Convict, or Thief.

Again, I appreciate your input!

TripleB

Triple B I think at your distance PP Lucid Convict would be a good choice for that. I have no experience with the other two but think you'd like.

Check out this video for that and other options
https://youtu.be/Vn6Z6UHWhpA

TripleB

Wysocki's new about to be released signature disc, the Explorer, sounds by all accounts to be this very thing.

Interested in to too because my current Thief has too much turn.

Interesting...I've been trying to read a lot on the Thief and many say it's close to a straight or even a turnover disc. I was looking at both it and the Stag because of the 8 speed (or the Convict...9 speed but only a 4 glide) and a lot of what I've been reading say both are more understable than their numbers so I fear they won't give me a Teebird type flight.

TripleB

Interesting...I've been trying to read a lot on the Thief and many say it's close to a straight or even a turnover disc. I was looking at both it and the Stag because of the 8 speed (or the Convict...9 speed but only a 4 glide) and a lot of what I've been reading say both are more understable than their numbers so I fear they won't give me a Teebird type flight.

TripleB

They aren't going to be Teebirds but I really doubt you will find a Lucid Convict or a Stag to be understable or have too much turn at about 300ft unless you are doing something odd. There might have been some Convict runs that were more understable but I'm betting if you get a Paige Pierce Lucid Convict you'll be fine. You originally said you wanted a cross between a teebird and a Thunderbird and I think that fits the bill fairly well, fwiw. My distance fluctuates right now as I continue to learn and change my form, but when I'm throwing 320ish with a Convict it's straight to fade and not difficult to throw.

Triple B I think at your distance PP Lucid Convict would be a good choice for that.

There might have been some Convict runs that were more understable but I'm betting if you get a Paige Pierce Lucid Convict you'll be fine. You originally said you wanted a cross between a teebird and a Thunderbird and I think that fits the bill fairly well, fwiw.

Thanks for the input...ended up ordering a 166g PP Lucid Convict (in pink) to round out my streamlined bag!

TripleB