• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Started putting with S-line...

Quinntastic

Birdie Member
So a buddy of mine had a trunk full of plastic. Sold them pretty cheap so I got a few experiments, as any disc addict would do. Got a couple of S-line P2s and must say I'm stoked. However I have never putted with premium plastics as an actual putter.

The last 3 rounds I played my putting felt on, I never noticed the s-line catching much different then baseline plastics. It felt to me if I hit my putt solid it went in, even caught a couple heartstoppers on the far right. Granted I am in a hot humid environment, so could that have softened the plastic enough to be reliable for now?

Anyways I thought about just trying them out since they were cheap and getting a couple d-line for actually putting, but after playing I'm questioning the need. Has anyone used premium for an extended period of time and noticed drastic difference in the catching, pole outs or anything else weird? How weather may play a factor like temp and humidity (its definitely slippery when wet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Luster P2 as a putter for a little while but had to switch back to my JK Aviars. I actually noticed that the putts seemed to be coming out of my hand cleaner and I was more accurate with them. That was mostly during fall/winter though.

I putt with with P-Line P2s. I have some D-Lines I'll be using in the winter for putting. I also have some S-Lines & a C-Line. I only use S-Line/C-Line for driving. I wouldn't recommend putting with S-Lines. They definitely will be harder to grip than D-Lines in rain/snow. Plus D-Lines are really cheap. I've found premium plastic putters to be more prone to spit outs & cut throughs than baseline plastic. I'd recommend driving with the S-Line though.

Old and beaten up star gets super grippy and catches very well. It retains overall rigidity to bang the putt but gets that tacky feeling too.

Nothing wrong with using it imo. But you may suffer in adverse conditions.

I wouldn't expect slips through to happen any more often, as long as you're putting relatively flat.

Old and beaten up star gets super grippy and catches very well. It retains overall rigidity to bang the putt but gets that tacky feeling too.

Beating up putters to get them to that 'tacky' feel takes A LOT of putting, A LOT. Premium plastics, star/s-line, champ/c-line etc., is a higher quality polymer, more expensive (obviously), and they change. Manufacturers run out of certain plastics (think CE), and they're gone. On to the next batch. Some golfers are so particular about a certain run of plastic that they'll pay exorbitant amounts of money to acquire certain discs.

No doubt, once you get that feel just right, the disc becomes irreplaceable. Don't throw it over water...

Beating up putters to get them to that 'tacky' feel takes A LOT of putting, A LOT. Premium plastics, star/s-line, champ/c-line etc., is a higher quality polymer, more expensive (obviously), and they change. Manufacturers run out of certain plastics (think CE), and they're gone. On to the next batch. Some golfers are so particular about a certain run of plastic that they'll pay exorbitant amounts of money to acquire certain discs.

No doubt, once you get that feel just right, the disc becomes irreplaceable. Don't throw it over water...

I am quite familiar with disc plastics and run variations, having spent more time than practical on this site and just going to stores to feel plastic...so i understand what you mean and where you're coming from.

I have a couple buddies who drive, approach, and putt with their star putters. They also leave them out in the weather. It gets them to that point pretty quickly and they take the abuse much better than baseline while putting just as well.

I personally have a very old star big bead aviar that is in a similar state. It is still somewhat overstable, grippy and bangs chains. I like to use it when I'm throwing a pared down bag.

You now have a putter that will last a long time and just feel better with each use. Beat up star is just $ regardless of the mold.

Latest posts