• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stolen CONE basket

mudslinger

Birdie Member
Hi DCGR,

I received notice this morning that the basket for hole 5 at Moir Park in Bloomington, MN was stolen. This is a older CONE style basket.

Please be on the lookout at auction/sale sites for any cone baskets being sold recently. If you hear of anything, please post here and I will route information to those investigating the loss.

Thanks DG community!

cfb70e45.jpg

These baskets are older than many users on this forum I believe. As much as I hate stolen baskets at least they took one of these... wtf people!

What a strange contraption. Cute girl.

Last edited:
Are those the original baskets for the course[1979]? It looks like something you'd find in the back of Hustler, or in a Harbor Freight flyer.
Too bad about the theft, though.

We also have them here at: Hansen Park

The sweet spot is about 1/2 as big a chains but you will never get a spit out if you hit it right its for sure going down in there... Just hard to make putts and look funny when not used to it.. Kinda like playing basketball on a street court with no basket strings just a hoop and no spring/give.

Most Def a different game on the cones. Guys that are good putters on chains often are not great putters on cones. Bring Ricky Wysocki, Avery Jenkins, Nate Doss and Dave Feldberg out and lets see how they do with 35 ft putts on cones :p

Anyways there really are maybe 50-75 people In our area who dig cones and I am shocked that someone stole one. Those are the original cones from 1979 and first stolen to my knowledge. They have the Bloomington open there, don't think there is a necessary requirement for baskets for pdga events being chains.

We have them also at Lake Murray Lodge. Thay are great for Lid style discs.

Seems like a cone basket for sale would really stand out. I'll keep my eyes open. People can be so disappointing.

Boooooo at this comment. Cones are nearly impossible to replace.

well I understand that part, I wouldn't say that is a bad thing. These do nothing for the courses which they are located other than keep many people from playing them as frequently as ones with more updated baskets. Yes the concept is the same but we also do not throw at wood/metal poles either anymore.

Any theft is bad but it boggles my mind why someone would take a $1 worth of steel or actually WANTED one of these...

I'm of the opinion that most basket thefts are crimes of opportunity. If the basket to be stolen happens to be a crappy one, the perp is likely thinking "so be it".

That being said, cone baskets are kind of a piece of history. It sucks losing one of those for perhaps different reasons than losing a quality basket for playing.

That girl is putting way too much hyzer on the disc for such a short putt, and I'm pretty sure she missed the basket completely on this shot. But she's a girl. On a course. Who's attractive. So I'm not complaining.

I'm of the opinion that most basket thefts are crimes of opportunity. If the basket to be stolen happens to be a crappy one, the perp is likely thinking "so be it".

I would think they're thinking "I can get high for two, maybe three days if I can get this to the scrapyard".

well I understand that part, I wouldn't say that is a bad thing. These do nothing for the courses which they are located other than keep many people from playing them as frequently as ones with more updated baskets. Yes the concept is the same but we also do not throw at wood/metal poles either anymore.

Any theft is bad but it boggles my mind why someone would take a $1 worth of steel or actually WANTED one of these...

Well, obviously you do not. But there are plenty of post, tone and object courses around the country and some are simply spectacular. Some of us just love to be outside and don't feel entitled to only the best free equipment to play on. :thmbdown:

I think they add to the course at Moir Park. It's a pretty short course so using those baskets really emphasize just how accurate you need to be (or how good at putting you need to be) to have a good chance at a 2.

I think they add to the course at Moir Park. It's a pretty short course so using those baskets really emphasize just how accurate you need to be (or how good at putting you need to be) to have a good chance at a 2.

I felt the same way at Lake Murray, very short holes with some rollaway potential, made for a fun putting experience. (and my fiancee hit an ace on one :))

Go away.

Well, obviously you do not. But there are plenty of post, tone and object courses around the country and some are simply spectacular. Some of us just love to be outside and don't feel entitled to only the best free equipment to play on. :thmbdown:

just looking at it from a sport perspective not a recreational past time. How many different types of golf holes do you see or soccer goals or football FG poles or track event stuff--It is all regulated from the balls to whatever' IN ORDER TO KEEP THEM THE SAME-- like PDGA regulating discs there are some variables but nothing which is completely different from the standard.

I agree 100% these are like stealing a piece of HISTORY and garublador is right, even at Hansen its true for holes which would likely be gimme 2's.