• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets stolen, Black Mouse DGC in Felton, CA

nawanda37

Par Member
DGCR community,

2 of the 18 baskets at Black Mouse DGC in Felton, CA were stolen this weekend.

We have put a ton of work into this course to turn it from a notoriously difficult to navigate, poison oakey, tangled, hidden gem in the Santa Cruz mountains, into a beautiful, tournament ready, hidden gem in the Santa Cruz mountains. I recently moved to Felton, this has become my home course, and I feel like I've been personally kicked in the nuts.

I am writing to this community for a few reasons:
1) A local has offered to lend us a couple Mach3's for our upcoming Felton Freeze Tournament, but the idea of replacing these baskets with the money we've got is daunting, to say the least. I'm hoping that there is some excellent advice out there for fundraising that has worked well for others.
2) In addition to fund raisers, does anyone know of DG companies who might be willing to help out? I will talk to a friend who works at DGA, but I'd love any suggestions.
and last:
3) Please keep your eyes and ears out for either people selling a couple used Mach3's or bragging about installing them in their backyard. It kills me to know that they're likely to get away with this. This course is something special for DGers. It is the most technical course I've ever seen, either in person or on the net. If theft becomes a pattern at The Mouse, I don't know how it can survive.

Thank you guys and gals.

Have a 50/50 shot at every area tournament and league. People pay $2 into a CTP for a specific hole, half of it goes to the winner and half goes to the basket fund. I've seen that raise enough money for concrete tee pads at a course in just a year or so.

^ this works well for course improvements where there's an healthy league or lots of tourneys. Players really seem to like it and even people who don't get into Ace pools jump in on CTP's. Just make it a hole even noodle arms and women can reach - the more people who think they have realistic shot at it, the more $$ it'll generate.

To ensure it goes smoothly:
1) MAKE SURE EVERYONE WHO PAYS SIGNS THE CTP SHEET.
2) MAKE SURE EVERYONE WHO SIGNS THE CTP SHEET, PAYS.
3) tie a 10' length of string to the pole of the CTP hole to facilitate determining if a given lie is closer.

Last edited:
I noticed this posted in the facebook group and it just sickens me, especially right before the Felton Freeze. This happened at De La and a few times at Hellyer in San Jose. This is such selfishness and disrespect directed toward the disc golf community I really don't understand it. What also sucks is that I have never heard of anybody getting caught. Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal

Viking, that would be valuable information as well. Also, I love your avatar. I actually have a jersey from just after that one.

I hope the baskets get returned soon. Its sad to think people would even consider stealig a basket from a course let alone two..

I noticed this posted in the facebook group and it just sickens me, especially right before the Felton Freeze. This happened at De La and a few times at Hellyer in San Jose. This is such selfishness and disrespect directed toward the disc golf community I really don't understand it. What also sucks is that I have never heard of anybody getting caught. Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal

Engraving some identifying information inside the pole might at least help if you do think you've figured out who took a basket, and doesn't cost anything besides some time.

Maybe people could list some easy to accomplish, tried and true ideas to make baskets harder to steal
When you're installing the baskets, fill the pole with cement.
Once it hardens, it makes it reallytough to cut through the pole with a saw, pipe cutter, or even a torch.

Credit goes to John Minicuci.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this, I am actually thinking of playing in the Felton Freeze this year.

I still wonder what Dela did with the 27 Mach3s they replaced for 2011 Worlds, maybe the club has some tucked away that could be re-deployed to Black Mouse.

I got so sick of the baskets getting stolen from CSUMB/Oaks, that I put Loctite on all the baskets, so the sleeves with the locking tab can not be removed and the top chain assemblys can not be removed, either the whole basket with the concrete has to be removed or the lock has to be cut, which is not hard, but at least they can not walk away with it by simply undoing one nut.

DGA really needs to fix their design flaws and improve the security of the baskets, the Gateway baskets use a much more effective implementation.

If you guys are really in a tough spot for the Freeze, I will ask the Stinging Jellies to donate some money, and I bet Dela will chip in as well.

Thanks all!
tomsdiscs, thank you so much for the offer. I'll mention that to Bob and TJ, but I do know that we'll have the baskets we need for the event. Hope to see you at The Freeze.

I have grown to love this sport and It really gets my blood boiling to know that someone would STEAL Baskets from a course. I think that disc golf basket makers should put serial codes on the type of baskets they are making. if one gets stolen and if the person registers the basket the thief will get busted. just like the bicycles.

I've heard stories about things like this happening and the theves selling the baskets for scrap metal, so you might try checking with local places that take scrap metal. If it happend then there is little chance you will get them back, but if the person at the scrapyard knows what they are then you might convence him to call you the next time someone trys to bring one in.

That sucks, but usually baskets are stolen by random tweekers for scrap. So it's hard to really find any info on who may have stolen the baskets. I will post to Monterey stinging jellies, if Tom hasn't already, to see if the club can help. Can't wait to see the changes at black mouse...

Lake Wichita use to have the same issues with baskets disappearing. I think they finally filled it with concrete like what was suggested but then they lost the multiple pin settings. As for fundraising I am working on that for my old hometowns new course. I am raffling off my td pack from vibram for the birdie bash. Yea it cost me 80 bucks but if we have 30 players and each gives 10 for raffle I made 1 basket for the course. Maybe take some of your unused disc and put together a pack to raffle off. I know I went through a stage where I bought everything innova made, so I have several disc that has two or three rounds on it that I decided never to throw again. I may try to raffle them off at a later date

I would use portables now and have a large raffle and get people to donate

Again, thank you all.
Good news this morning. One of the baskets has been returned! Someone found out who took it, and let them know that there was an investigation underway.
1 down, 1 to go!

Thanks for the heads up about scrapyards. That was my buddy's first advice as well. I'll put them on the lookout for golf baskets in general.

Twotechnics- Thank you! We can't wait for you to see it either! My history w/The Mouse is a funny one in that I played it when it was an infant, didn't come back for years after that irritating/lost round, played it about two years ago, and didn't come back for about a year after that frustrating/lost round. When I moved to Felton, I popped in right away and was blown away by how much work had been done, carving clearer paths and clearing PO. Since then, I haven't been able to stay away and have been playing multiple rounds every week. My scores at every other course have been falling out of the sky after the control that BMouse has forced me to learn. Love it.