• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straddle putt and the rules

I think that right foot is closer. FOOT FAULT!!;):D
Doesn't matter as long as the left foot is 30 cm behind the mark. The right foot can be closer as long as it isn't any closer than the back of the mark.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter as long as the left foot is 30 cm behind the mark. The right foot can be closer as long as it isn't any closer that the back of the mark.
It's not closer though. Both feet are outside of the 1 foot circle.

***edit***

Why did I reply to myself?

Is it OK to agree with Ray if you eat meat? I agree with Ray. Great pics of the stated examples. :clap:

I don't get it.

On the one hand, getting as close as you POSSIBLY can to the pin, while maintaining a legal stance, will give you what? Half an inch? Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of fretting about whether or not your tootsies are legally planted on the ground.

When I play tourneys (and believe me, I've played approximately one of them) I mark my lie and just stay behind the marker. If I'm two inches further from the pin, I figure it won't make any diff - I'll dink the putt anyway.

it's not a matter of distance to the pin...it's more a matter of the angle of your body to the pin.

while i myself don't mind a couple inches difference in foot placement when straddle-putting i can see how it could make a difference to some people. a two inch difference in foot placement on one side can make a quantifiable difference in the angle you are putting from your body to the basket. (i'm to lazy to actually quantify it but it IS quantifiable) if you are used to releasing at 90 degrees and no other angle you are going to miss some putts if you have to change up. in general you want to be as square to the target as you can get.

Nice diagrams that explain it very well. Funny how rules get twisted around sometimes.

maybe i'm missing something...
there is a line from the back of your marker (just like a free throw in b-ball),you place one foot behind the marker the other foot then cannot go past said line,no matter how much you try to twist it.
the circle drawn on the picture doesn't apply....

there is a line from the back of your marker (just like a free throw in b-ball),you place one foot behind the marker the other foot then cannot go past said line,no matter how much you try to twist it.

I think it's not a line. It's a circle. Just that no part of your body can be touching any closer to the basket than the back of your marker. The circle would be the same distance to the basket all the way around. The farther you get from the basket, the circle seems more and more to look like a line.

Read the rules, they talk about "no closer to the pin" not anything about an imaginary line perpendicular to the line of play. If your other foot is outside that circle in those diagrams, it's within the rules because it's no closer to the hole than your lie. Not sure where you're getting that line from.

It would be nice and solve a lot of problems if there were diagrams/pictures accompanying their "fuzzy" rules.

(I don't have a hard copy of the rules, I just read it on the PDGA site, but I am guessing the hard copy doesn't have pictures, or questions like these would not come up.)

You ARE missing something, there's no line. Period. Your feet must be at least as far away from the pin as the back of your marker. therefore, the circle applies.

It would be nice and solve a lot of problems if there were diagrams/pictures accompanying their "fuzzy" rules.

(I don't have a hard copy of the rules, I just read it on the PDGA site, but I am guessing the hard copy doesn't have pictures, or questions like these would not come up.)

There are NO illustrations in the PDGA rulebook :wall::doh::mad::thmbdown:

You can ignore the line in the diagrams if you want. The circle is the rule. Just keep your off foot outside the circle and your good.

Latest posts