• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight to Fade Max Distance Driver?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
My C-DDX picked a bad time to get worked in and late turned its way into a reservoir so I'm auditioning some new molds since the other C-DDX I got was too flippy for my liking. I'm looking for something with classic Champ Teebird stability (0,2) but in the speed 11-12 range. I'm tired of getting drivers that lose their HSS as they wear in and run into a slight headwind (DDX, Trespass, Sword, Destiny, Ballista, etc). Just dead straight and fade dependably, strong HSS.

Does this disc exist or is my best bet to just cycle in my OS distance driver into this slot, like a beat in Giant?

I agree with the max weight star wraith suggestion above. Also suggest a Proton photon as well as an S-line DD.

I like a TP Giant for this. All the VIP Giants Ive had are noticeably more overstable. TPs can be ripped on even into a headwind and hold straight with fade. I'm right on the border of 400 feet flat max drives, for reference.

:thmbup: I agree a DD is the mold he wants. I'm not sure if it's an S-Line or a C-Line though. It depends on how far he throws, PLH, dome, run, weight etc.

Agree, though I don't like c-line drivers so I've never thrown one.
But a Wraith has a little more wiggle than the DD.

I find this slot is best for a beat in OS driver. I have a champ XCal that is a speed 12 Teebird now, or faster PD/Thunderbird even, but it certainly did not begin life that way. Discs that fly that way when new, as you mentioned Trespass, Sword, etc., tend to get more turn and definitely can't handle any additional wind.

Would a Bio Enforcer work for this? They seem to beat in relatively fast when I've seen people use them, and lots of pro's use them for their straight shots.

Good idea. What's the stablest kind of Wraith these days while having some decent glide still?

Picked up a new 173 F2 star wraith. Nice pop top, lots of glide but stable enough to know it's coming back. I pair it with a flat pfn star wraith and it's money. I was throwing destroyers earlier this year but now the wraith has taken its place. Btw 400' thrower fwiw

Best new disc for this slot I've used lately is the punisher. Discraft not always known for the best drivers, but this one is a legitamite winner.

Best new disc for this slot I've used lately is the punisher. Discraft not always known for the best drivers, but this one is a legitamite winner.

Haven't thrown a Punisher but I was going to say an ESP Surge. It starts off pretty darn straight but has a tick less fade than a Wraith when both new. It will wear in and develop more turn over time but nearly as fast as the Trilogy (new disc a month) stuff does. I think the Sword is maybe one of the most frustrating discs out there. It starts out soooo perfect and then one day, boom... It is all over. Just like that. The Surge has always been a happy medium for me of being not too beefy out of the box, but not super quick to get flippy either. Giants, Enforcers, Defenders etc will get there too but it could take a little work. Beating on an ESP Force until it starts to behave and lose some fade (someday), that's a good choice too.

I'm intersted in checking out an S-DD but I'm sort of afraid of opening a can of worms as far as chasing runs goes on that one.

This may be under thinking it, but newer run Star Destroyers seem pretty beefy. I have an embossed 170g day-glo that started out mega OS, but has beat into the perfect straight-to-fade distance driver. Super reliable into a headwind, on downhill bombs, or just for big hyzer and flex lines.

Notable mentions go to S-DD and bottom stamped Star Wraith.

I'm really digging my VIP Fortress for this shot - I will admit I do not know how it will beat in.

Narrower rim than what you were asking for, but 1.1cm rim depth and sharp edge give it a little extra speed.