• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] suggested disks?

I'm gonna go with the Starter Pack from Innova or Discraft, like several other posters. CHeap,e asy to find, great way to get in the game. If you must have a "Distance Driver" get a Valk. DX.

I agree with a lot of these guys if your goal is to really put a lot of effort into getting better quickly with not much emphasis on the fun of the game, and if you don't want to spend much money.

My philosphy is slightly different. I started playing this game because the first time I was invited to play someone gave me a dx destroyer and the first time I hukked the thing and watched it sail through the air a few hundred feet I was hooked. The reason I kept playing every day after that was because of the fun of the game and learning how to make a disc sail through the air as far as I possibly could, because watching the disc sail smooth and far was like pure bliss to me.

So the first few discs I bought were all drivers, one of which was an Orc. I decided I liked the orc the best and I spent the whole rest of the season only throwing the orc and learning all the different shots I could shoot with it and trying to max out my distance. I had incredible amounts of fun that first season with my orc and I don't regret it a single bit.

Honestly, I think if someone had given me a buzzz and a putter on my first outting I probably never would have came back the next day because I would have only been throwing it <200' and that distance just doesn't inspire any awe for me. I was throwing Orcs 250+ ft forehand right from my first throw, it made me feel like I was some sort of Wizard since I had no idea I could make a disc do that. My suggestion is - if you've got some cash to spend go buy a couple high speed drivers, a neutral midrange, and an overstable fairway driver and have fun. As you throw the discs more you will start to think of what different things you want your discs to do and then you can have a ton of fun researching new discs and trying them out!

Discraft Ti Plastic: More durable and visually pleasing and is more like LATITUDE 64's GOLD LINE

Fixed ;)

EDIT: Guess it was sorta said, but having not read all the responses, I stand by the statement. :doh:

Hi friend, I'm new to the site, but not so much to the game. So far, I've helped 13 people start playing and 13 of them are still playing. By far, the best advice I can give you has been given already. Get a Buzzz. Seriously. It's one of the most beginner friendly discs and you'll use for the rest of your life. It's very straight and very forgiving. You sort of get an "Ok, I can do this!" feeling every time you pull it out of the bag.

As for plastic, just use something that feels good in your hand. I started with a FLX but fell in love with the Z as soon as I threw the first one. You'll want to start in a lower weight, possibly 160-170, your girlfriend might want to go even lighter. The heavier a disc or the "faster" a disc, the more power it takes to make it do what it's supposed to do. If you have friends that play, see if they'll let you toss a few of theirs around. If you don't, make friends at your local course! This sport is best played as a social sport among friends and everyone is looking for others to play with.

I'd recommend a Challenger as a putter, almost everyone has one in their bag because it's incredibly reliable and consistent. I just recently stopped using mine, but I always use it when teaching new players to putt. It's just a confidence booster to be able to fall back on when you get close.

As for a driver, I'd advise you to go one of two routes: play without one for a month or two or get something slow, a 7 speed or less. The first option will guarantee you develop good form relatively quickly, so when you move up to drivers, you're set from the get go. This also forces you to develop your short game, this is the area where tournaments are won. A good clean form will do wonders for your score. A strong short game will be a strong foundation to stand on. The second route will let you get more distance off the tee more quickly, but will hurt your game in the long run. Drivers are harder to control than mids or putters and sometimes newer players will dirty up their form just to throw a driver a little farther. I did this (started with a Boss and a Katana, very fast discs, I thought FAST meant FAR, which is not the case if you can't get it up to speed) and it took 6-9 months to fix the flaws. Do not do this. Slow driver if any driver at all.

I didn't mean for this to become so long, but I assure you, this advice has been good to my friends and I have no desire to see you fail. (avoid understable drivers for a while, either way)

Hope this is worth the internets it's printed on...

Lots of good advice in here. I agree with the Innova or Discraft stater sets. I'm partial to the higher end plastic but the low end are good too. And the light Diamond from Lat64 is also a good choice.

Is there a suggested set of discs you guys would reccomend to us?

The starter sets out there are OK. I'd recommend starting out with just a putter. I like the Inova Aero in 150 to 165g. It's an old disc and very Frisbee like. It's very controllable, easy to throw and has a good bit of glide.

I would also recommend staying away from the faster stuff till you can control the slower stuff.

XD_DX_Standard-1.jpg

^^^^^
This!
;)

Latest posts