• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swedish noob needs disc advice.

Nenja

Eagle Member
Hello everyone and thank you for a great forum.
This place have been the best guidance I've found in the search of disc information.

I'm completely new to the game and other than 4 rounds and some practice on the field I've only watched a couple of casting videos (haven't found many good) on YouTube.

The jungle of discs out there I've tried to handle by sticking to Innova discs since I learned their numbers and want as little confusion as possible at the moment (there is plenty already). :)

Right now I'm trying to find myself a set of discs I can handle. I have an half assed form and definitely can't handle the 170g katana my brother gave me.
The 2 discs I bought for first round was a champ (mf) Roc3 and a dx Aviar p&a.

Reading around afterwards gave me the idea that it's smarter to start with understable discs with lower speeds. To me this made sense since I find the fade of the disks hard to handle.

My local course is rocky and many holes full of trees. This made me instantly want to avoid the fragile dx-plastic that otherwise probably is what new players on a budget should stick to.
Regarding plastic choice I've now ordered 2 gstar discs even though few experienced players seem to like them, the champ feels too slippery especially now during winter. Largely I went for gstar since I got the idea this plastic was less stable making the stable discs slightly understable and better for me as a beginner? :D

My current plan is to go for straight flyers to make this start easier and since I have the Roc3 for the throws I want to turn left (rhbh).
On their way is now Tl3 (gstar 172g) and Vroc (gstar 176g).
Do you think I should have ordered more understable discs? At least I realized that DDs wasn't for me just yet haha...

Oh yeah! Also a mcbeth xt-nova 165g is in there since I dream of learning to land those birdies (30'+ putts) even though I bet I should just have gotten a Birdie for that purpose.

Original plan was to go for straight flying low weight gliders to get distance and precision, as a noodle arm newbie mostly playing short woody courses is this the way to go?

Sorry for the wall of text, too much thinking as you can see but the experienced player I've asked for advice like heavy (175g+ champ) overstable disks and I feel like this isn't newbie friendly.

Thank you!

Take a read through this thread, it might help.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Nothing wrong with DX plastic for a beginner, it's actually a plus. You get to learn how a disc break in and it's cheaper than buying premium only to find out you hate the mold. DX is a good winter plastic too. I have a ton of premium discs, but there are still discs I prefer in DX plastic.

Try not to over think it and have some fun, experimenting is part of the fun too!

Honestly I think that your disc selection is pretty solid but I think that the TL3 might be a bit much for you right now. If I had an idea of how far you are throwing your Roc3 I might think otherwise. If the TL3 is too much disc I woud suggest a 165-169 gram Pro Leopard or GStar Leo3.

Thank you Keller! Great reading, I'm kind of a gadget mentality guy that wishes to get an minimalistic bag setup. ;)
So an S-throw where I thought I needed a understable disc, might as well be made by overpowering a overstable (more easily done with a lighter?) disc with lower cruise speed? Cool ��

The avoiding of dx is actually to make it easier for me, just the thought of beat in discs behaving differently scares me and my recklessness on the rocky holes eats chunks of the poor discs making it barely more economical?

ILUVSMGS: that warms my heart since none of my discs where recommended in the guide linked above... That's hilarious, I changed to the Tl3 from a gstar leopard3 167g 10mins before ordering after a tip. I should trust the wisdom of Internet. ;)

So if I got this right, it's trickier with neutral discs because they won't compensate failure to cast the disc flat? But hence also becomes more versatile for hyzer and anhyzer throws and more educating technique wise? Seems my idea to go for neutral discs to start with will suit me!

Back to reading before looking for advanced casting videos.

Last edited:
I have had both the Leo3 and TL3 and the Leo3 is still in my bag (in Star though as GStar doesn't work as well for a driver plastic as it does for mids and putters). The only other thing that I can think of is to learn how to throw FH especially starting with your mids and putters. It may end up allowing you to see lines that you didn't see before. As I play mostly with people who throw either BH or FH almost exclusively havimg the other option is not only nice but can also shave several strokes especially if learned early in your DG career.

I started about 11 months ago. My husband started the same time I did, and we went through a LOT of discs, most of which we got used from 'Play It Again Sports'. I wasted a LOT of money, trying to figure out what worked for me. If I had to do it all again, this is what I'd do...

During the initial first month or so, if you still have occasional really bad shanks, and any water hazards, just stick to DX plastic. If you're just going to heave them in a lake, there's no sense in wasting money. Same if there are roughs that are so rough that losing a disc is likely.

Okay, once you're past the bad shank stage...

As strange as this sounds... save yourself a lot of headache, and get really brightly colored discs. I personally find the best colors are (about in this order) Pink, Yellow (including Chartreuse), Orange, Pale Blue, White. Things fall off from there, but red, lavender, pale green are alright. Don't get dark blue, dark purple, tie dye, brown, black, etc. And note, this is most important for discs that fly farther, and mostly not important for putters. I have an earth-tone putter than has never been a problem. I bag mostly yellow discs, personally, and have been really shocked how hard it is to spot the two red discs I own. Discs will crawl into holes, bury themselves under leaves, and stick in weird places in bushes. Finding them can be a huge pain and waste of time, so every little bit helps in finding them.

As for discs, get a Champion Mako3. It goes STRAIGHT if thrown straight. Anhyzer if thrown anhyzer, and hyzer if thrown hyzer. It will show you what you're doing wrong. It is a cruel but fair teacher. It pairs exceptionally well with a Roc3.

Get (at least) TWO of whatever putter you like. I personally throw a Wizard. You might consider having one in a harder plastic, and one in a very soft plastic. The soft plastic one will skid and skip less, and in theory, grab the chains better. Soft putters are particularly good for baskets on a slope, as they tend to sit better.

If you are in a place where there are water hazards, have a couple discs that are either beat-up used discs that are the cheapest things you can get, or baseline plastic. Throw them as needed to save losing more expensive discs. I carry a spare putter (Wizard), midrange (Element), and fairway driver (Stalker), each of which cost me about $5 used, for the sole purpose of throwing on shots where odds of loss to water hazard are high.

Bookmark infinitediscs.com website. You can look up the flight numbers on any disc there, to compare them to Innova's numbers. Also, maybe consider giving them some business since you'll be using them as a resource.

Similarly, bookmark this...
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431
The Inbounds Disc Golf site allows you to select up to 4 discs, and set a picture of their flight path side by side for comparison.

With those two websites, you can start purchase of discs with some measure of confidence.

That's about the sum of my accumulated wisdom from my vast experience... of one year. :D Take it for what it's worth.

Welcome and good luck as you work out choosing your discs. A lot of the disc selection process is trial and error. I throw some discs really well and others not so much. Anyhow welcome and have fun.

To help you learn to throw, well, when you find a good player ask for a few tips. Be prepared for some hard times as you work through form issues. At some point you will lift bits and pieces concerning form from better players until you find your own form. During this same time you will narrow your bag to some core disc. Anyhow have fun as you work all this out and let us know how things are going.

Good Luck

I have had both the Leo3 and TL3 and the Leo3 is still in my bag (in Star though as GStar doesn't work as well for a driver plastic as it does for mids and putters). The only other thing that I can think of is to learn how to throw FH especially starting with your mids and putters. It may end up allowing you to see lines that you didn't see before. As I play mostly with people who throw either BH or FH almost exclusively havimg the other option is not only nice but can also shave several strokes especially if learned early in your DG career.

Great idea! With both throws I can practically throw all curves with my Roc3? S-throws will be my next challenge when I learn the basics. :)
Leo3, would you still recommend gstar for someone who can't throw or is it smarter to get a star right away?
Thank you!

I started about 11 months ago. My husband started the same time I did, and we went through a LOT of discs, most of which we got used from 'Play It Again Sports'. I wasted a LOT of money, trying to figure out what worked for me. If I had to do it all again, this is what I'd do...

During the initial first month or so, if you still have occasional really bad shanks, and any water hazards, just stick to DX plastic. If you're just going to heave them in a lake, there's no sense in wasting money. Same if there are roughs that are so rough that losing a disc is likely.

Okay, once you're past the bad shank stage...

As strange as this sounds... save yourself a lot of headache, and get really brightly colored discs. I personally find the best colors are (about in this order) Pink, Yellow (including Chartreuse), Orange, Pale Blue, White. Things fall off from there, but red, lavender, pale green are alright. Don't get dark blue, dark purple, tie dye, brown, black, etc. And note, this is most important for discs that fly farther, and mostly not important for putters. I have an earth-tone putter than has never been a problem.

As for discs, get a Champion Mako3. It goes STRAIGHT if thrown straight. Anhyzer if thrown anhyzer, and hyzer if thrown hyzer. It will show you what you're doing wrong. It is a cruel but fair teacher. It pairs exceptionally well with a Roc3.

That's about the sum of my accumulated wisdom from my vast experience... of one year. :D Take it for what it's worth.

It's worth a lot! Thank you very much. No real risk of losing discs actually, just hitting sharp rocks eating pieces of DX rather than wearing it it. Also the color advice is awesome, already realized how hard they can be to find, practiced some in the snow... Mako3 might be my next disk if I feel the Vroc doesn't fill that role!

Welcome and good luck as you work out choosing your discs. A lot of the disc selection process is trial and error. I throw some discs really well and others not so much. Anyhow welcome and have fun.

To help you learn to throw, well, when you find a good player ask for a few tips. Be prepared for some hard times as you work through form issues. At some point you will lift bits and pieces concerning form from better players until you find your own form. During this same time you will narrow your bag to some core disc. Anyhow have fun as you work all this out and let us know how things are going.

Good Luck

And thank you!
I will try to simply find versatile discs and focus on throwing them. Feels like you can manage with 3 molds if you just get those distances and curves working. Maybe the 155g Stingray I got for my girlfriend will change my mind but a forth mold I can afford.

Avery Jenkins will visit my local course this early summer so maybe I should join in haha!

Today I'll celebrate my birthday playing a round in the snow. Might be tough to beat the dry fly fishing in southern Germany last year but at least there's sauna planned for the evening. :)

I would say that if you like GStar use GStar, if you want to try Star then try Star. Plastic choice is all up to personal preference. I throw almost Champ and Star exclusively except for my GStar Rhyno and some Pro putters.

I would say that if you like GStar use GStar, if you want to try Star then try Star. Plastic choice is all up to personal preference. I throw almost Champ and Star exclusively except for my GStar Rhyno and some Pro putters.

Gstar will be interesting!
The new disks should come any day now. Also really looking forward trying thar xt-nova.

Yesterday I almost left the driver in the bag, couple downsloping drives. Even did more drives (short woody holes mostly) with my Aviar p&a. Also getting better control with the Roc3 but mostly for left turning fairways or wide-open drives... :D

I would say get a Comet, my favorite disc. However, keeping it all Innova, I would second/third the recommendations of Leo and Mako. Both are great discs, though I use my Mako less and less these days in favor of Comet, as I feel I can do more varied things with it. Every Innova disc I have is in Champion, except for one DX Skeeter that never even comes close to getting in my bag. I always go for durability because I carry a small bag and don't really want to cycle molds. That TL you have is a great FH disc, so if you throw FH at all, give it a shot. Probably not the best disc to improve your FH form as its overstability helps you but I still use it for FH quite a bit even as my form has improved (relatively; still kinda terrible). Throw as many different discs as you can and don't be afraid to branch out to other brands. The flight charts will give you an idea of what each disc will do compared to their Innova counterparts. If you want to PM me an address, I have a couple discs I can donate to your bag. I keep buying them thinking that I will give them to new players but I'm old and curmudgeonly and don't make new friends, so no one to give them to:)

I would say get a Comet, my favorite disc. However, keeping it all Innova, I would second/third the recommendations of Leo and Mako. Both are great discs, though I use my Mako less and less these days in favor of Comet, as I feel I can do more varied things with it. Every Innova disc I have is in Champion, except for one DX Skeeter that never even comes close to getting in my bag. I always go for durability because I carry a small bag and don't really want to cycle molds. That TL you have is a great FH disc, so if you throw FH at all, give it a shot. Probably not the best disc to improve your FH form as its overstability helps you but I still use it for FH quite a bit even as my form has improved (relatively; still kinda terrible). Throw as many different discs as you can and don't be afraid to branch out to other brands. The flight charts will give you an idea of what each disc will do compared to their Innova counterparts. If you want to PM me an address, I have a couple discs I can donate to your bag. I keep buying them thinking that I will give them to new players but I'm old and curmudgeonly and don't make new friends, so no one to give them to:)

Yeah both would for sure be interesting disks!
So the tl3 might be my forehand driver? Gotta start practicing FH ASAP!
I promise to open up now as soon as I have a start set of Innova discs I at least understand, handling and aim hopefully will come.

Today I practiced by throwing 16 holes with two discs. Out of aggression after failing drive with both Aviar and Roc3 I threw the katana full speed. Missed the cage by 1m! Short 200' hole with the start on a small height. Long right turn fading back left behind and beyond... With a slower understable disk that will be a frequent birdie hole when I learn to aim on hard drives. ;)
Aviar only birdie on a hole with as many trees as there was pockets between them, also newbie moment of the day.

Extremely generous! Now you have a friend on the Swedish Westcoast who would love to show you our local course one day. :)

Yeah both would for sure be interesting disks!
So the tl3 might be my forehand driver? Gotta start practicing FH ASAP!
I promise to open up now as soon as I have a start set of Innova discs I at least understand, handling and aim hopefully will come.

Today I practiced by throwing 16 holes with two discs. Out of aggression after failing drive with both Aviar and Roc3 I threw the katana full speed. Missed the cage by 1m! Short 200' hole with the start on a small height. Long right turn fading back left behind and beyond... With a slower understable disk that will be a frequent birdie hole when I learn to aim on hard drives. ;)
Aviar only birdie on a hole with as many trees as there was pockets between them, also newbie moment of the day.

Extremely generous! Now you have a friend on the Swedish Westcoast who would love to show you our local course one day. :)

Birdies were rare for me when I first started, still are on some days! I hope to make it to Sweden some day. I lived in Italy for a few years and traveled a lot but never made it to any of the Nordic countries. I will definitely hit you up for a round of disc golf if I get there.

Got your PM. Send me an address. I have a Polaris LS, Z Buzzz, and a Champ Wombat I can send you. All are pretty good for someone just starting out, especially the Buzzz.

Birdies were rare for me when I first started, still are on some days! I hope to make it to Sweden some day. I lived in Italy for a few years and traveled a lot but never made it to any of the Nordic countries. I will definitely hit you up for a round of disc golf if I get there.

Got your PM. Send me an address. I have a Polaris LS, Z Buzzz, and a Champ Wombat I can send you. All are pretty good for someone just starting out, especially the Buzzz.

During the summer it's well worth visiting. Disc Golf during the day and some searun trout catching during sunset. ;)

Wow that sound amazing! So the LS will replace the Leo, buzz the mako and the wombat was what got replaced in the shopping cart by the Vroc I ordered. Sounds like a disc I might end up love with all that glide.

Can't wait to test all these discs as I'm finally getting a feel for throwing, even though I still have to choose between power and aim...

Feel like I might be able to get a great 4 disc bag together, understable FD, stable mid, stable putter and my Roc3 as the overstable option for easy turns (both directions if I get a decent forehand! Any advices regarding what should be disc #5? A DD isn't really necessary since most holes I play are <300'.

Almost time to start a technique thread instead!

During the summer it's well worth visiting. Disc Golf during the day and some searun trout catching during sunset. ;)

Wow that sound amazing! So the LS will replace the Leo, buzz the mako and the wombat was what got replaced in the shopping cart by the Vroc I ordered. Sounds like a disc I might end up love with all that glide.

Can't wait to test all these discs as I'm finally getting a feel for throwing, even though I still have to choose between power and aim...

Feel like I might be able to get a great 4 disc bag together, understable FD, stable mid, stable putter and my Roc3 as the overstable option for easy turns (both directions if I get a decent forehand! Any advices regarding what should be disc #5? A DD isn't really necessary since most holes I play are <300'.

Almost time to start a technique thread instead!

LS is a longer Leo-very similar flight paths, Buzzz is a bit more OS than the Mako, and the Wombat is very US. You don't have to replace your discs with these, bag them all. I would look into getting a driving putter. If it's usually windy, something OS might be the thing. I use my Harp as much or more than any disc I have-super OS putter.

I printed out your address, should be able to get your discs in the mail tomorrow (Friday).

LS is a longer Leo-very similar flight paths, Buzzz is a bit more OS than the Mako, and the Wombat is very US. You don't have to replace your discs with these, bag them all. I would look into getting a driving putter. If it's usually windy, something OS might be the thing. I use my Harp as much or more than any disc I have-super OS putter.

I printed out your address, should be able to get your discs in the mail tomorrow (Friday).

I ment more as in replace in matter of need. :D

The wombat is US? Even in Champ? How come they rate it as 0 turn? Interesting!

A driving putter, it sounds so contradictory! I noticed the Aviar have a driver version. What differs them from the normal putters? Is it more of an approach disc?

Thank you so much!

Ah, gotcha. Cool. Glad you can use them all.

Wombat is US. It's rated as a 5,6,-1,0 and from experience, I think it is more than that. It's good if you are just starting out and trying throw annies and stuff but I use my Comet for that now.

Driving putter is good for short holes, so you can throw a disc full power instead of trying to power down a higher speed disc, most discs don't power down very well. For shots of 200 feet or a little more or upshots of that range, I will throw the Harp, as long as I have room to hyzer it in. The Aviar you have would probably be good for that role-Innova wouldn't have sold a gajillion of them if they weren't good, right? I'm just not a fan of Aviars in general, the rim is a little too deep for me. There is no really no category for driving puttter versus putting putter, it's just that some are good at one thing and some at the other. Some, like the Judge or the Pure, are good for both.

Ah, gotcha. Cool. Glad you can use them all.

Wombat is US. It's rated as a 5,6,-1,0 and from experience, I think it is more than that. It's good if you are just starting out and trying throw annies and stuff but I use my Comet for that now..

I will for sure!

Oh right, good thing I didn't buy a gstar wombat then?

Oh I see, thank you! I bet the Aviar is, even I can get it flying quite straight. :)
You think there is any chance xt-nova will be great for that? 2300 sounds like a hit to me. :)

ILUVSMGS: that warms my heart since none of my discs where recommended in the guide linked above...
Keep in mind that was written nearly 6 years ago and most of the discs you mentioned hadn't been released yet. ;)

I tried to be as generic as I could with my mold recommendations both to help future-proof the information and say that the specific mold isn't the most important part. As long as what you're throwing is similar to those discs and isn't terrible it will probably work.

Really the point is to pick a couple of solid, versatile molds, build your skills, then once you're happy with how you can throw those couple molds expand from there.

Keep in mind that was written nearly 6 years ago and most of the discs you mentioned hadn't been released yet. ;)

I tried to be as generic as I could with my mold recommendations both to help future-proof the information and say that the specific mold isn't the most important part. As long as what you're throwing is similar to those discs and isn't terrible it will probably work.

Really the point is to pick a couple of solid, versatile molds, build your skills, then once you're happy with how you can throw those couple molds expand from there.

That's my current plan! Now I'll have 8 molds to try and experiment with. As I get better technique and form I'll probably know which ones suits me and I can get a few more of the same mold and build a bag of 4-5 molds I'm comfortable with.

I just wish I could be out and play every day, really excited to try the new discs and gstar plastic. :)

Latest posts