• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Switching from Innova to Swedish plastic!!

depster

Birdie Member
I need to know which molds are the closest to the ones I currently throw. I like the feel of latitudes plastic a lot better than anything innova has ever put out except maybe XG but that's neither here nor there since its hard to come by in all the molds that I throw. The molds I need compared are:
Boss
Xcal
Destroyer
Wraith
FireBird
TeeBird
Leopard
Roc
Drone (I know it's discraft but I'd still like a comparison)
Meteor( same as above)

And before you all tell me to go to inboundsdiscgolf.com, I already have, I would just prefer first hand experience over reading some numbers on a screen. And also I don't carry all the high speed stuff in my bag at once I switch out the boss, wraith, and destroyer based on course and wind conditons being that I live in Kentucky I usually have the destroyer, so I'd say the destroyer is my got to high speed driver but my best distance is with my beat to $#_+ echo star wraith. Westside, latitude 64, and dynamic discs are all acceptable.

Last edited:
You are going to miss your Destroyer, XCal, and Teebird. Some of Latitude's stuff doesn't feel too good either...

Have fun buying new stuff. Variety is the spice of life?

Destroyer - Try Trespass
Boss - Halo or Havoc
Xcal - ??? (not familiar with xcal)
Wraith - No replacement...I tried :p The wraith is just a great disc heh. Maybe a sword or flow would take the spot.
Firebird - XXX
Teebird - A stag maybe?
Leopard - Rivers for the win!
Roc - Mace maybe? or possibly a pain
Drone - ??? I don't they the sweds/finns have a mid that os, aside from the trident, but that's more driver like.
Meteor - Tursas or Fuse.

Im sure it could be better, but I hope this helped just a bit.

Boss - Havoc
Xcal - Villain
Destroyer - Halo
Wraith - Flow
FireBird - XXX
TeeBird - Striker
Leopard - River
Roc - Pain
Drone (I know it's discraft but I'd still like a comparison) - Trident
Meteor( same as above) - Fuse

Certainly none of those are going to be exactly the same, but should get you pretty close.

Boss = Giant
Xcal = Villain
Seasoned Destroyer = Trespass
Wraith = not sure
Firebird = XXX
TeeBird = Escape
Leopard = River
Roc = Mace
Drone = Trident
Meteor = Tursas

This is my experience from switching. You won't regret the switch. Swedish plastic is the bomb.

Damn Sid the Kid, drink your prune juice. You seem constipated.

Boss-Maybe a Villain or beat in gold line giant
Xcal-get a beefy VIP Giant, longer but will hold up to any wind like the xcal
Destroyer-depends on wear stage but Trespass is the way to go. From OS in Biofuzion to lucid that turns more. Amazing mold.
Wraith- DD lucid Renegade. Easily pairs with the trespass and is close to a wraith. Maybe more turn but also more fade and more glide.
FireBird-Get a gold line XXX or Trident. XXX will be slightly longer.
TeeBird-you can search for a striker that holds up like a bird but I'd try the DD Escape. It's a little faster and easier to turn but you can find bio ones that are pretty beefy and will wear nicely. Lucid is more like a Valk but the two plastics pair nice. If that doesn't work try a Westside Stag.
Leopard-Easy. Tournament plastic Underworld from Westside. A leopard on steroids that will glide and hold an anny line to the ground. Love these
Roc-if you like flat and beefy rocs try a Mace or Suspect. If you like domier and less stable maybe a Fugitive from DD.
Drone (I know it's discraft but I'd still like a comparison) Nothing really the same but tons that will cover the shots. Suspect is OS but very straight. You might find it covers most of your drone shots but if not you will already have a XXX or trident. The baseline plastic Mace might be good here too.
Meteor( same as above) Another easy westside replacement. Tournament plastic Tursas. I loved the meteor but the tursas is the better meteor. Dead straight with hyzer, holds the turn when thrown flat. Glides for miles.

To replace the Drone, i would just get a Zone in the bag. The XXX and Mace can handle longer OS duties and a Zone is just gods gift to disc golf bags.

Boss-Probably a Halo but it depends on what Boss you have or what shots you use your boss for.

Xcal-Villain/Giant, very similar flight paths the Giant will just go further

Destroyer-hand a destroyer thrower a Trespass and wait the smile after they throw it, its pretty amusing

Wraith-the new DD disc the Renegade is getting compared to a beat wraith

FireBird-xxx depending on your firebird the xxx may be a little too OS

TeeBird-there are options but none really dead on (saint, stag, striker) there is a new Lat disc that is coming out, the name has not been released yet (not the Fury) that is rumored to finally be the TB killer everyone wants from Lat

Leopard-River, my favorite disc

Roc-Mace, if you want the feel of a Roc. Personally I like the Warship, it similar to a roc but feels much better in my hand. My mid line up is 2 Warships and 2 Tursas, these 2 mids are almost like ball golf hybrids to me. They feel almost like a mix of a mid and a fairway driver in the hand, easy to throw far, easy to power down and they just come out really clean. I also like longer mids because I enjoy driving with putters so there is less overlap.

Drone-I'm not sure the Pain is quite as OS as a drone but that was a good thing for me. The drone was almost a utility disc for me, I just don't every really need that much OS in a mid very often. You could also try the trident, it doesn't feel like a mid in the hand but it will not travel very far at all.

Meteor-Tursas or Fuse they fly pretty similar just feel them both.

I have a stack of Lat stuff that I no longer throw if you want to try anything on the cheap let me know.

Boss-Probably a Halo but it depends on what Boss you have or what shots you use your boss for.

Xcal-Villain/Giant, very similar flight paths the Giant will just go further

Destroyer-hand a destroyer thrower a Trespass and wait the smile after they throw it, its pretty amusing

Wraith-the new DD disc the Renegade is getting compared to a beat wraith

FireBird-xxx depending on your firebird the xxx may be a little too OS

TeeBird-there are options but none really dead on (saint, stag, striker) there is a new Lat disc that is coming out, the name has not been released yet (not the Fury) that is rumored to finally be the TB killer everyone wants from Lat

Leopard-River, my favorite disc

Roc-Mace, if you want the feel of a Roc. Personally I like the Warship, it similar to a roc but feels much better in my hand. My mid line up is 2 Warships and 2 Tursas, these 2 mids are almost like ball golf hybrids to me. They feel almost like a mix of a mid and a fairway driver in the hand, easy to throw far, easy to power down and they just come out really clean. I also like longer mids because I enjoy driving with putters so there is less overlap.

Drone-I'm not sure the Pain is quite as OS as a drone but that was a good thing for me. The drone was almost a utility disc for me, I just don't every really need that much OS in a mid very often. You could also try the trident, it doesn't feel like a mid in the hand but it will not travel very far at all.

Meteor-Tursas or Fuse they fly pretty similar just feel them both.

I have a stack of Lat stuff that I no longer throw if you want to try anything on the cheap let me know.

took the words right out of my mouth

I need to know which molds are the closest to the ones I currently throw. I like the feel of latitudes plastic a lot better than anything innova has ever put out except maybe XG but that's neither here nor there since its hard to come by in all the molds that I throw. The molds I need compared are:
Boss
Xcal
Destroyer
Wraith
FireBird
TeeBird
Leopard
Roc
Meteor( same as above)

Havoc/Halo
Giant
GL halo/trespass
Flow/lightweight trespass
XXX
Stag
River
Mace/Pain
Trident/xxx/suspect (closest things but all o them are totally different)
Fuse/maybe new WS mid, taursus?(sp)

Assuming you're allowing Westside in there as well, an Underworld in either plastic is going to be closer to a Leopard than the River IMO. If anything, Underworld is closer to a DX Leo (especially when beaten in), while a River is closer to a Champ Leo. VIP Underworld also handles wind better than the (GL and TM) Rivers I've thrown.

Pain is slightly more stable than a DX Roc, and feels slightly beefier in the hand to me. Not much difference between GL and Opto versions from what I've seen.

I've heard that the Teebird lies in between the Stag and the Saint (Saint<Teebird<Stag), but I can't attest to that as I haven't thrown a Teebird (gasp!). Saint is definitely less stable than the Stag, though. Be sure to get a Stag in VIP plastic at a heavier weight (170+); I've heard they have more turn and don't fight the wind as well in the lighter weights. Heavier VIP isn't a wind killer (you'll need the XXX for that), but it'll fair well in decent winds, or at least it does for me.

Fuse is going to be straighter in Opto, so if you're looking for sure fire understability a la the Meteor, grab one in GL.

Boss
Xcal
Destroyer
Wraith
FireBird
TeeBird
Leopard
Roc
Meteor( same as above)

And before you all tell me to go to inboundsdiscgolf.com, I already have, I would just prefer first hand experience over reading some numbers on a screen. And also I don't carry all the high speed stuff in my bag at once I switch out the boss, wraith, and destroyer based on course and wind conditons being that I live in Kentucky I usually have the destroyer, so I'd say the destroyer is my got to high speed driver but my best distance is with my beat to $#_+ echo star wraith. Westside, latitude 64, and dynamic discs are all acceptable.

Boss - GL Havoc
Xcal - GL Blitz although it has a weird rim
Destroyer - Fuzion Tresspass
Wraith - GL Flow? ... Maybe
FireBird - xXx
TeeBird - VIP Stag or Fuzion Escape, nothing too comparable
Leopard - river
Roc - warship?
Drone - trident
Meteor - ??

Don't try to replace a boss with a havoc like everyone is saying to. The havoc is not an overstable disc at all. If you want something that flies like a boss a domey opto sparkle halo might do it (only halo I've throw that doesn't turn much) or a westide giant.

I just made the switch this year myself. Here are my recommendations:

Boss - Halo
Xcal - haven't thrown
Destroyer - Trespass
Wraith - Flow
FireBird - XXX
TeeBird - Striker or Opto Saint
Leopard - River
Roc - Pain
Drone (I know it's discraft but I'd still like a comparison) - not much experience with the Drone, but maybe a Trident or the Suspect is a longer Zone (stays straight longer before a dependable fade)
Meteor( same as above) - haven't thrown, but if you are looking for understable try the Fuse for a mid or the Underworld as a fairway.

Some other recommendations:
Escape - great driver...it's a speed 9, but goes very far
Bolt - like a Katana
King - can be flippy, great distance

Enjoy!

Boss - GL Havoc
Xcal - GL Blitz although it has a weird rim

Wraith - GL Flow? ... Maybe

Prodiscus Slaidi is somewhat between a wraith and Xcal, and can work in lieu of either. Premium for Xcal, basic for Wraith. I'd try a Renegade to fill in the wraith spot though; flows vary too much to recommend.
Technically, it's Finnish and not Swedish, but the premium plastic feels great.