• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taking DG TOO seriously???

I've been at this since the mid-90s and don't know if there's that much change in the culture....just a lot more of everything.

When I started we snickered at those carrying bags of discs and asking for silence when putting....now I'm one of them. I see sixsomes of casual players throwing from, oh, within ten feet of their lie....and remember when I was one. Long ago I knew people who were humorous and lighthearted on the course, and people who trashtalked, people who played every available tournament and people who tried one and went back to casual. I still do.

Seems that there is a great divide between those whom I believe "get" what disc golfing is about and those that take it too seriously and miss the spirit of this great sport. You can see it on courses, in the way that certain people act, and even here in board postings and responses. A negativity has seeped into the mixed which I feel takes away from the brotherly spirit and free nature of the game.
QUOTE]

You are going to get this in every sport, no matter what. some idiots just don't see the line between being competitive and being a total idiot-jerkface.

Don't let them get you down, don't play with them, and don't give them attention.

These are the guys that don't work hard, and want the easy way out. They make cheap fouls in basketball, unnessary flagrant fouls in football, and they cuss and whine like a little baby in DG. Just keep playing your game and have fun ;)

sorry for the double post, but in the short time i've been playing everyone i've met has been helpful.
showing me where the next basket lies
helping me with technique
giving me advice (helpful, not like they're better than me)

haven't met any idiot-jerks yet

This sport has matured enormously over the last couple of decades. Was everybody cool when I started playing...hell yeah and I had the Peter Frampton hair to prove it :eek: Seriously there were jerks back then too and people who took it too seriously. I don't think that crowd has grown out of proportion to the rest but there are days I wonder. I have a much different approach to the game than I used too. My main thing is to go out there and have fun but there is fun in being competitive and there is fun in striving for improvement. Sometimes I let those things detract from the fun and that isn't right.

Most of the people I meet up and play with are really fun, they have a good sense of humor, they genuinely enjoy hitting a great shot, they enjoy seeing others hit great shots and they are respectful to others on the course. Those are the folks I'll encourage to keep playing because they elevate the sport. As for the others, might I suggest base jumping as an alternative?

Above all, DG is fun.
No matter what disc you throw, bag you carry, your practice routine, or what dog is with you. The game is fun.
I'll admit that I have a better time when I'm scoring well, but even when I have crappy throwing/scoring days, I can still have fun. We all have days when we throw poorly, live with it. Get over it. Use it to get better.
But if you and those around you aren't having fun, go do something else. Don't make me miserable by kicking your bag, or cursing, or telling me that you broke the course record last week. I don't care. Shut up and throw.
Laugh, enjoy your company, tell a joke, talk about the weather, tell me about your latest favoritest disc. Just enjoy the time and experience and take the good with the bad.
Have fun. If your enjoyment is determined by your score, take up needlepoint, just don't rub off on me.

This is my "Birdie" post. My day just got a little better. And when I go out and throw this afternoon with my buddies in our league, I'm prediciting that I'm going to have a lot of fun. I may even keep score.

Last edited:
Yeah, DG is kind of an "all things to all people" sport. You play with the people you like to play with and let the jerkwads play with each other over there. On some course that's got a zero-disc rating, preferably. :D

Last edited:
I think there are a lot of people playing without experienced players, which cause them to think they know the rules/customs of Disclandia, which causes problems of how they act and what-not. Tell them, NICELY, what they might be doing wrong, or let them play with you, so they can learn what they are doing wrong. Lead by example and they might pay it forward as well.

There really has been an influx of new players who were never taken to the course by someone who knew the rules and etiquette, and who just don't care. A lot of them are receptive to friendly tips about how to get along with everybody else on the course, some aren't, but none are worth ruining your day worrying about.

if you want to be all nice and frenchy than go to Canada. This heres AMERICA if you don't like it GET OUT! The land of the free doesn't watch nascar (nations most popular "sport") for the race...they love the crashes.

Haha just kidding kind of. Yeah I play almost everyday alone or not. My course has boat loads of Recreational players some more aware of etiquette than others. I do run into and play with many advanced players. I have noticed these guys are very nice and when they get upset it's because of their own play. (rightfully so) I have yet to play with someone who looks down upon me or wishes the worst on me...that i know of. My friend and I get a little competitive when we keep track some days but it's all in good fun. Although sometimes he will say something cocky and I step onto the tee with the intent to shut his mouth with a killer drive.

sticker_trynottohateppl.jpg

This thread reminded me of this sticker I saw at Marshallstreetdiscgolf.com. Pretty much sums it up.

There really has been an influx of new players who were never taken to the course by someone who knew the rules and etiquette, and who just don't care. A lot of them are receptive to friendly tips about how to get along with everybody else on the course, some aren't, but none are worth ruining your day worrying about.

unless of course they are like the dog that humps your leg and wont piss off after you have asked them to.

Latest posts