• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talk about sandbagging...

If you don't wanna deal with baggers don't play in tournaments. There always going to be there and keep on taking plastic. IMO your wasting your time by bagging in am3 why not move up and try to win more money or discs.

If you don't wanna deal with baggers don't play in tournaments. There always going to be there and keep on taking plastic. IMO your wasting your time by bagging in am3 why not move up and try to win more money or discs.
Ego, stupidity, laziness - take your pick. That's what makes baggers so pathetic, they don't want to better themselves and compete, they just want to be on top regardless of whether people are even close to them skill-wise.

There will always be baggers unless you're referring to MPO. Plain and simple.

Ego, stupidity, machismo - take your pick. That's what makes people who complain about baggers so pathetic, they don't want to better themselves and compete, they just want to complain about whomever wins whether or not they're playing in a division for which they're perfectly eligible.

FTFY :|

Agreed for the most part. I've never complained about baggers in anything I've played competitively, mostly because they are usually pretty awful and easily passed by if you are bettering yourself (thus the reason they bag). I still think people who legit bag are beyond pathetic, but it's a rarity. Like I said earlier in the thread though, most of the time it's just someone whining because they or someone they know lost to someone and they want an excuse other than their own poor play.

I see no problem with the way those tourney results ended up. The problem I see with the whole "your a bagger" is that people don't play where they should be playing. The PDGA has guidelines for what division you should be playing in based off your rating. If your above 935 you play advanced and below you play intermediate. I've been called a bagger jokingly at my last tourny I was in and even though I knew they were messing with me, it still bothered me. I'm a 926 rated player so technically I should be playing intermediate. I will continue to play intermediate as well until my rating goes above a 935 or I get my first win at intermediate, which I have yet to do. I think the criteria should be as follows for the ratings:

With 0 wins at intermediate:
935 and above - Advanced
934 and below - Intermediate

With 1 win at intermediate:
920 and above - Advanced
919 and below - Intermediate

With 3 or more wins at intermediate:
905 and above - Advanced
904 and below - Intermediate

Now I am just guestimating at what the actual numbers should be for this but where you should play in a tourny should look similar to this.

I generally don't have a problem with people playing their ratings. The problem I have is with unrated players who know they can play up but play down because they are almost guaranteed to win. And I don't care that much anyway because there's usually not more than one or two in a division at any given tourney. It's not like the whole division is full of them and I'll have no chance at placing because of it. At this particular event there really weren't any. The AM3 guy who shot so well the first round shot pretty average on the original, so even though "bagger" was being thrown around during lunch, by the end of the tourney we realized he just shot super hot on monster, which can happen since 8 out of the first ten holes are pretty easy birdie ops.

LOL. This can't be real.

It's real. I was right there when he told the TD he was going to play down because he ate some mushrooms earlier in the morning. (This was 9 in the morning).

I don't know what would be more embarrassing to admit to takings shrooms that early in the morning or lying about it to play down.

I had an experienced player once tell me while signing up once again for a division he was more than qualified for, "I have an ingrown hair in my armpit so I'll HAVE to play down today". :|

I didnt even play in this event, but i considered it...
Im pretty new to the tournament scene, but this is just stupid...

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/THRILLS_at_THE_MILLS_7_2013

Am2 all shot way better than Am1 and they were playing the same tees.. not mention some of the scores on Am3...

I could say that I would have done alright in Am1, but definitely not in Am2 and that makes no sense. :doh: Also I can say I would have needed a REALLY solid couple rounds to even get top 3 in Am3..

LMAO!! They deleted all the comments on the talk section because everyone was complaining about the bagging. One of the MA3's that shot a 1000, that's right a 1000 rated round, http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/100865 for proof. Said his buddy just had a "good day" WHATEVER! I'm 887 rated and I could never nor even pull out a 1007 rated round. I hope they are happy with themselves, what a great job very impressive!:clap:

:doh:
If they're bagging, sandbagger. If not, quit crying. No need to come up with a different term for people who whiners think are bagging when in reality they aren't, they just had a hot round or knew the course better.

Well Einstein, look up sandbag and you'll see that what you think it means is wrong.

I don't know where you got the impression that I was crying. I simply figured it would be better suited to use a vernacular that was representative of something that does actually occur.

LMAO!! They deleted all the comments on the talk section because everyone was complaining about the bagging. One of the MA3's that shot a 1000, that's right a 1000 rated round, http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/100865 for proof. Said his buddy just had a "good day" WHATEVER! I'm 887 rated and I could never nor even pull out a 1007 rated round. I hope they are happy with themselves, what a great job very impressive!:clap:

Have you played this course? If you can throw accurately about 320' there are about 15 birdie opportunities out there in 24 holes. All you have to do is have a day where everything clicks, hit most of those and not have a horrific tee shot that forces you to bogey. I'm rated around 850 and I know if I threw my best off the tee on every hole I could shoot 11 down like he did.

Have you played this course? If you can throw accurately about 320' there are about 15 birdie opportunities out there in 24 holes. All you have to do is have a day where everything clicks, hit most of those and not have a horrific tee shot that forces you to bogey. I'm rated around 850 and I know if I threw my best off the tee on every hole I could shoot 11 down like he did.

Yeah that's fine, but if you're playing ma3 and you shoot just under 1000 in one round and 1007 the next.. You're bagging. Plain and simple.

In the tournament linked above, i do understand people being upset about 4 guys who aren't pdga members dominating rec and posting 1000 rated rounds. I think this would be a perfect time to borrow one of the pdga's suggestions and give a pdga membership as prize rather than merchandise. That way the person's results and rating will be tracked in the future, precluding them from playing rec.

for those hung up on definitions, here is sandbagging defined:

Sandbagging in billiards and other games, deliberately playing below one's actual ability in order to fool opponents into accepting higher stakes bets, or to lower one's competitive rating in order to play in a future event with a higher handicap and consequently have a better chance to win; the term has spread to chess, go and other such games
Sandbagging (golfing), playing poorly until establishing a handicap and then raising bets, using the established handicap to gain advantage.
Sandbagging (racing), deliberately qualifying slower than what the car can actually perform
Sandbagging (grappling), competing in a skill-bracket or being ranked lower than one is deemed capable of
Sandbagging (law), suing for a breach of a contractual representation or warranty despite having known at the time of the contract that it was untrue
Slow play (poker), deceptive play in poker

a lot of people in this thread don't know what sandbagging means :doh:

The main gripe from the very small but vocal group of upset players was not actual "sandbagging" but probably more accurately described as "PDGA Bagging", where a person simply avoids being a PDGA member to avoid getting any kind of rating whatsoever that then allows them to enter any division they so choose.

From the few who vocally expressed their displeasure with the final results of the top 2 players in AM3 and probably the same vocal few who later took to DiscGolfScene.com to post their opinions on the tournament page before those were deleted by the TD. The common theme I got from listening and reading was a feeling that people who sign up for the PDGA and are members should be in rating protected divisions at PDGA sanctioned tourneys. That it is unfair to PDGA members when non-members can sign up for any division and shoot AM1/Open rated rounds in the AM3 division and take home all the winnings.

So GLong is right, there was no "sandbagging" just some upset PDGA members who were not happy with the non-members cleaning up in AM3. It is my understanding that this was only in regards to the AM3 division and no other division, at least nothing I heard or read. Hope that helps highlight the actual perceived issue at hand.

In the tournament linked above, i do understand people being upset about 4 guys who aren't pdga members dominating rec and posting 1000 rated rounds. I think this would be a perfect time to borrow one of the pdga's suggestions and give a pdga membership as prize rather than merchandise. That way the person's results and rating will be tracked in the future, precluding them from playing rec.

This is actually done quite a bit in Michigan, I believe any tournament that is run by somebody or club that is affiliated with the MDGO (Mich DG Org) it is clearly stated on each Tournament sign up page. Any non PDGA member who wins their division, a portion of their winnings will go towards purchasing them a PDGA membership, or something to that effect.

The problem here was this was a non-MDGO run tournament so that was not stated nor was it mandated. As those same vocal few also asked this question and brought up PDGA memberships for the winner.