• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taller = More Distance

Usher

Birdie Member
My friend and I play disc golf quite often and it seems that I always seem to out drive him. Even if we are using the same type of disc, same form, and we have about the same amount of muscle strength, I always out drive him. I am 6'0" and he is 5'6", does anyone think that your height (i.e. arm length) plays that big of a part in your distance.

I would love to hear your thoughts or even a reply with your height and average max distance.

Thanks!

Usher

Yes, height plays a major difference (more arm length but since it's usually in line with height).

It's simple physics- if you can reach back farther, you can accelerate the disc longer and over more space, releasing it faster.

It must mean something because I'm 6'4" and I was throwing over 400 ft consistently in less than 10 months of my first time ever playing. I just turned 17 last week so youth is on my side too. haha

It must mean something because I'm 6'4" and I was throwing over 400 ft consistently in less than 10 months of my first time ever playing. I just turned 17 last week so youth is on my side too. haha

First, I would like to verify that Brody Cannon does throw over 400 feet, with amazing accuracy. Actually, I thought he would be getting close to 500 feet by now. I played a round with him last spring..BIG ARM.

And absolutely height fasctors into distance. Same principle as throwing a baseball. There's a reason so many professional pitchers are 6'4" or taller.

Garrett Gurthrie is easily under 6' tall and has won the distance competition at the last 2 USDGCs with throws over 500'. That said, having long arms should be an advantage and I would hate to see what GG would do if he was 6'6''.

I think its the basic reason is that the same elbow rotational speed would cause the hand to move faster the longer the arm is...

Your height is a gift for disc golf, but youth, nope.

I have seen and know guys 40+ that understand technique and deploy it a lot better and will out throw any one 30 and younger. It looks effortless and smooth.

Plus they are a lot less cocky and more humble.

Ayyup, its a question of simple physics; having greater leverage. Or having a greater momentum "arm". Or as my brother answered the Trivial Pursuit question "In disc sports, what does MTA stand for?" Real answer Max. Time Aloft; his answer Massive Throwing Arm.... He got credit for it.

Your height is a gift for disc golf, but youth, nope.

I have seen and know guys 40+ that understand technique and deploy it a lot better and will out throw any one 30 and younger. It looks effortless and smooth.

Plus they are a lot less cocky and more humble.

Amen, to that. We have a local @ Oxbow DGC Vt. who is 70+ and usually beats me, +- 30 years younger.

yea it makes a huge difference. longer legs = more momentum behind the weight shift

Yes doesn't mean short people can't throw far, but it takes even more mastery of the technique just to get the distance a much taller player who has bad technique can achieve, and there's likely a 'wall' where a 5'6" player with PERFECT technique vs. a 6'6" player with PERFECT technique wouldn't be able to throw as far just based on physics.

I am 5'7" but can get 450', 400' without effort, and over 350' with my feet planted. Most are shocked at the speed and snap I get, yet I cannot break that wall.

doesn't help me, i'm 6'2'' and i'm not breaking 300.

granted, the "fastest" disc i had until today was a shark (rated 5 or 6), so i bought a beast today and i could tell i was driving farther, but i'm not sure by how much.

Last edited:
doesn't help me, i'm 6'2'' and i'm not breaking 300.

granted, the "fastest" disc i had until today was a shark (rated 5 or 6), so i bought a beast today and i could tell i was driving farther, but i'm not sure by how much.

Red- If you're not breaking 300', it doesn't have much to do with your height. I know guys 6'5 that can't throw 250, and guys 5'6 that can get close to 400. Height is a factor, certainly, but technique is how you will get to 300+. The 6'2" will help, but it won't get you there alone. Also, I have seen Sharks thrown 300+, so its not just about the disc, either. Hope this helps.;)

Red- If you're not breaking 300', it doesn't have much to do with your height. I know guys 6'5 that can't throw 250, and guys 5'6 that can get close to 400. Height is a factor, certainly, but technique is how you will get to 300+. The 6'2" will help, but it won't get you there alone. Also, I have seen Sharks thrown 300+, so its not just about the disc, either. Hope this helps.;)

Helped? Sure, you've completely broken my spirit and just re-confirmed that i really do suck. :( :(

seriously though, i know my technique can use vast improvements, but i haven't met anyone in this area who either: knows what i'm doing wrong and can show me corrections/is willing to help/or happens to be on the course with me the same day.

that being said, i DID throw the farthest i ever have today after buying a Beast. proper equipment IS a factor in my equation, but probably not (as you soul-crushingly pointed out) the biggest factor.

:/

Helped? Sure, you've completely broken my spirit and just re-confirmed that i really do suck. :( :(

seriously though, i know my technique can use vast improvements, but i haven't met anyone in this area who either: knows what i'm doing wrong and can show me corrections/is willing to help/or happens to be on the course with me the same day.

that being said, i DID throw the farthest i ever have today after buying a Beast. proper equipment IS a factor in my equation, but probably not (as you soul-crushingly pointed out) the biggest factor.

:/

LOL, but don't worry. I think its your technique needs to work on. I'm 6'2 also and throw easily at average 350-420ft and more when its good day. It took me awhile until I figure out the right ways and discs to throw.

Have you tried the X-step technique yet?

Practice, Practice, Practice...:cool:

I'll echo that it depends on how far your talking about throwing. If you have that "big snap" (aka, really good technique and timing) and are launching Champ Teebirds over 400' consistantly, then yeah, hight will probably make a big difference because you're acutally maximizing how you're using your body.

However, if you don't have that technique and timing down then you probably aren't getting the most out of your body and being taller will make less of a difference. In other words, you have to utalize those longer levers for them to be an advantage.

I'm 6'3, but I have a long torso and short limbs for my height. I'm 5 inches longer above my hips than below, and my armspan is less than my height. Point is, being tall doesn't necessarily mean you have long arms and long legs. Things like flexibility in the spine and joints would also play a role, so don't assume the tall guy standing next to you has a natural advantage. :rolleyes:

I'm 6'3, but I have a long torso and short limbs for my height. I'm 5 inches longer above my hips than below, and my armspan is less than my height. Point is, being tall doesn't necessarily mean you have long arms and long legs. Things like flexibility in the spine and joints would also play a role, so don't assume the tall guy standing next to you has a natural advantage. :rolleyes:

You're also more likely to walk into a tree limb.

6'3" here as well, and I don't believe it's an advantage. Played with shorter guys who can/have out-thrown me on drives consistently.

It's in the grip and getting spin/snap on the disc. Went from barely 200-225' to consistent 300'+ drives with the Power Grip™

I have also found recently that I have had better success in regards to distance and aim with keeping my arm straight (as opposed to the "lawnmower" technique).