• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Tangent getting more stable with use?

msfried53

Question for anybody that has had experience with the tangent. I have a neutron 178 tangent and out of the box it seemed to me to have "sneaky turn" for me. It would hold rather straight for about half of its flight and then ever so slowly start a gentle turn and hold that. After breaking it in for about a month, I have noticed this disc to lose that trait and get more stable. I don't remember where I read it, but someone else also described this characteristic. I was just wondering if it was just me maybe changing up how I throw a little bit or has anybody else experienced this?

My guess is that as you've gotten more accustomed to throwing the disc, you've either cleaned up your form or dialed back on it when you throw it, so that it's turning less. I've actually had a similar progression with Tournament Underworlds - I used to flip them left and right, now if I err it's usually on the side of not turning them enough, rather than too much, due to how smoothly and 'with touch' I throw them.

This sounds like OAT when you first got it, and now that you have learned to throw it better your form/grip/release are improved, resulting in a cleaner throw that makes the disc fly as intended.

If thrown properly you should get very little turn, and very little fade.. resulting in a net stability of maybe 5-10% depending on how high you throw it.

No disc will become more overstable with use.

No, he was right. The guy was saying that it used to turn and it stopped, which generally refers to stability. A disc has varying degrees of stable, more stable meaning less turn, less stable meaning more turn.

No, he was right. The guy was saying that it used to turn and it stopped, which generally refers to stability. A disc has varying degrees of stable, more stable meaning less turn, less stable meaning more turn.

My vector has no turn, but it is less stable than my Tensor that also has no turn ;)

If flattening or doming of the disc occurs in the bag or other storage (hot car maybe) and changes the PLH, a disc could technically become more OS.

If flattening or doming of the disc occurs in the bag or other storage (hot car maybe) and changes the PLH, a disc could technically become more OS.

yep, sometimes flattening the top makes them much less OS too. I had a Pain that flew like it should and then I flat topped it. After that it flew like a flippy turd.

Flat topping is risky.

Oh god... its everywhere. More stable is the same as more overstable. To be more stable is to go in the direction of overstability on the stability spectrum.

It's not the same.

More overstable implies fade. End of flight. Discs that are very neutral should have a term for that, such as a buzzz or a TL. They are very stable, but they are by no means overstable. They aren't the same.

It's not the same.

More overstable implies fade. End of flight. Discs that are very neutral should have a term for that, such as a buzzz or a TL. They are very stable, but they are by no means overstable. They aren't the same.

The buzzz and TL are of neutral stability.

You can further break it down into high and low speed stabilities, yes, but the same concept applies on those levels as well. More stable = moving towards overstable.

It's not the same.

Constant annoyance. Some people refer to "stable" as a synonym for "overstable" while others prefer it to mean something closer to "straight."

I've contemplated starting a thread on this a few times lately but I'm sure it exists somewhere already; I just can't find it.

Constant annoyance. Some people refer to "stable" as a synonym for "overstable" while others prefer it to mean something closer to "straight."

I've contemplated starting a thread on this a few times lately but I'm sure it exists somewhere already; I just can't find it.

I'm just saying to get more stable is to go in the direction of OS.

OS---------NS----------US
<<<<-more stable-<<<<
>>>>-less stable->>>>>

NS being neutral stability. It can be refered to as "stable" because it is between OS and US, but then people think that to get more stable is to get closer to the center of the spectrum.