• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Taurus

Wasnt it a pretty known thing like a decade ago that certain Discraft colors flew more OS and US?

Possibly. If so, I'd say it's because they made certain runs all one color, and they cooled differently than other runs; ergo, the discs got the reputation of being a certain stability in correlation with their color. But it's molding and PLH that is the real culprit.

At one point wasn't somebody trying to say reds were more overstable because of the iron used in the colorant?

That made me giggle a little bit.

I'm real fond of this disc, after only 3 rounds and some fieldwork.

It's a more overstable Champ Rancho Roc. That's it.

I've wanted one for a long time. I hope it holds up to first impressions.

It isn't as fast or inherently over stable as a Sanny Sentinel. It isn't a mini Firebird, like a Zone is. It is not a Super over stable Classic Rock, like a harp is. It isn't a small diameter sledgehammer like the Gator is. It is just a Rancho Roc that won't flip or glide. You can throw it like a Roc—a large diameter glider that has balanced flip and turn. But it will fight against the anny and stall as it slows.

Neat.

I should add that the rim feels less bulky and is less plussy that the RocX3. And it has a middlin dome, that I suspect will fall a bit in short order, but it ain't bad to start. And I'm picky.

Possibly. If so, I'd say it's because they made certain runs all one color, and they cooled differently than other runs; ergo, the discs got the reputation of being a certain stability in correlation with their color. But it's molding and PLH that is the real culprit.

Edit

Deleted. Not worth the effort

Yes. The theory was that purple flew way differently when compared to other colors of the same mold.
More like 20 years ago it was purple and green. The green was a very dark grass-colored green that was impossible to find, but I knew people who would only throw green Cyclones because they were the most OS. The purple was a dark purple that was also hard to find. Other than the people who thought they were more OS, no one else would buy them. So if you were selling discs you had to have some because some people wanted them, but if you got too many you were toast because they would sit in your inventory forever. You couldn't specify color in your orders, you got what you got.

It was fun times. :|

Still loving this disc. The 1.2 run is embossed and no longer marked RX. Interestingly, the wing profile is a bit different, but they fly about the same.

I like the new plastic as well, unusual colors and very swirly. Still really hoping to see these in DT or base plastic, it just makes too much sense..

It's just a good Champ Roc to me, but I still like it too. I swap one in sometimes on really risky or overgrown courses, for a Champ Rancho.

Stiff Pro Taurususus would be sweet.

Still loving this disc. The 1.2 run is embossed and no longer marked RX. Interestingly, the wing profile is a bit different, but they fly about the same.

I like the new plastic as well, unusual colors and very swirly. Still really hoping to see these in DT or base plastic, it just makes too much sense..

In what way are the profiles different? Can you attach an image comparing the two?

I received a 1.2 Taurus in the mail today, and I am super stoaked. I've been a Roc thrower since the beginning, and tried nearly every iteration except ones with a V in the name. For the record, mine has the Taurus symbol penned on the bottom, it has a "normal" KC Roc type dome, and it feels amazing in the hand.
Ill be going out to throw it this afternoon when this skiff of snow melts off.

In what way are the profiles different? Can you attach an image comparing the two?

I received a 1.2 Taurus in the mail today, and I am super stoaked. I've been a Roc thrower since the beginning, and tried nearly every iteration except ones with a V in the name. For the record, mine has the Taurus symbol penned on the bottom, it has a "normal" KC Roc type dome, and it feels amazing in the hand.

Is the R in your sig, for Roc? NVM, reread your post and it obviously is. L3= leopard 3? Do you ever not carry a bag playing with only 7 discs. I do...

Last edited:
I was trying to keep my expectations tempered after the disappointing RocX3 tryout, but this disc kills. It has a very smooth flight, feels like a Roc, and flies like a "RocX" should. There is no jerky transition between initial straight penetration and fade like with the RX3, it just glides and holds its bank the whole way. Perfect.

Is the R in your sig, for Roc? NVM, reread your post and it obviously is. L3= leopard 3? Do you ever not carry a bag playing with only 7 discs. I do...

Yeah, I'll go out with any combination of discs that seem exciting, but my tournament bag has been set for a few years now. Add in a Rhyno and a D3 for bomber flips and that's my money maker.

I was trying to keep my expectations tempered after the disappointing RocX3 tryout, but this disc kills. It has a very smooth flight, feels like a Roc, and flies like a "RocX" should. There is no jerky transition between initial straight penetration and fade like with the RX3, it just glides and holds its bank the whole way. Perfect.

Yeah, I'll go out with any combination of discs that seem exciting, but my tournament bag has been set for a few years now. Add in a Rhyno and a D3 for bomber flips and that's my money maker.

I go Pig for putter and Scythe for overstable duties. No Firebird. Turnover stuff, Katana and Sidewinder (roadrunner).

I also have a Pale Purple 1.2 Q Taurus with a taurus symbol penned underneath with normal roc dome. Got it yesterday at a tournament. Havent thrown it yet, how did it fly for you? Nvm just saw the post where you describe it. I got it because there wasnt much I was liking at the payout bins and had to spend my funny money on something. Hoping it will pair well with my Ghosts

No Millennium plastic taurus yet?

sad-panda-meme-generator-that-makes-me-a-saaaaad-panda-6a8a0b.jpg

Lol...I got excited today for a second. I bought a few discs of a guy whose gf just had his baby so he needed to turn discs into cash. He's into Millennium and bought a bunch of lots of discs off facebook without really knowing what he was getting, so when I asked if he had any QMS he said he thought he did. When I went to pick the disc up he handed me the QMS; my brain immediately went "This is a Champ Roc SCORE!!!" About a second later I realized it didn't have a USDGC stamp so it had to be a Taurus.

Beefy nose on the sucker, otherwise it's a Roc eh? I threw a friends before, seemed a lot like a Champ Roc. I guess I'll get more throws on this one.

Lol...I got excited today for a second. I bought a few discs of a guy whose gf just had his baby so he needed to turn discs into cash. He's into Millennium and bought a bunch of lots of discs off facebook without really knowing what he was getting, so when I asked if he had any QMS he said he thought he did. When I went to pick the disc up he handed me the QMS; my brain immediately went "This is a Champ Roc SCORE!!!" About a second later I realized it didn't have a USDGC stamp so it had to be a Taurus.

Beefy nose on the sucker, otherwise it's a Roc eh? I threw a friends before, seemed a lot like a Champ Roc. I guess I'll get more throws on this one.

Yeah it seemed to me to have Roc HSS but a heartier LSS. Cool disc for flex lines.

Didn't make the bag but I do dig it.

Yea the taurus is a nice disc but its not different enough from a rancho champ roc to warrant bagging it. For it being the RocX I expected it to be more overstable and instead its just very similar to a champ rancho

Mids and putters are a hard deal; there are too many good ones and not enough space in my bag to carry them all.

Mids and putters are a hard deal; there are too many good ones and not enough space in my bag to carry them all.

This is true. Otherwise I would effectively squeeze out the midrange set up I am using for too many other molds that are not as universal in use by using putters and midrange disc that would with my bag set up and have only a specific use. Still would have the Putters I currently use for main putting. The main putters would not change but the rest of midrange and other putter stuff would change.

This is the problem right now the amount of good midrange and putters on the market that and finding a Destroyer one likes or similar flying discs from Innova or another company. Too much of that right now, not enough on control or fairway discs unless you count companies making a between Firebird/Thunderbird disc for the pro sponsored players to use. It is almost like Pro sponsored players even a few Pro female sponsored players are pushing some of those Fairway/Control molds to being obsolete from some companies that are not even looking at sales of how those types of molds are going.

Last edited: