• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tee shots over water

NPC has some water hazard holes now. Very minor chance of going in from the Am set up, but more risk/reward style water action from the pro set up. Something for everone!

Hole 15 Hidden Lake, St Augusta, MN. Scares the crap out of me, I enjoy it, but can you carry 350' of water? If not, there's not much option for a bail out, anything around the right side of the pond is thick crap that will add several strokes to your score. Poorly designed hole? A weaker arm in a tourney would probably say so. Casual rounds, if you can't hack it, play the shorts, or skip this course as it will eat you alive.

I'll bet that's even scarier with a 25-mph headwind.

This is another design consideration on long forced carries (over water, or anything else for that matter). A tough shot on a calm day might be an impossible shot on a windy day.

I think gonzo pretty much summed it up.

Como Park here in WNY has water coming into play on almost half of the holes. But the variety of shots with the creek and pond that the course plays through makes all of those holes challenging as well as different. There are only 2, three if you've got the arm, that you must drive directly over water. Then its either to the right or left or in the case of the 18th basket directly behind.

I think gonzo pretty much summed it up.

Como Park here in WNY has water coming into play on almost half of the holes. But the variety of shots with the creek and pond that the course plays through makes all of those holes challenging as well as different. There are only 2, three if you've got the arm, that you must drive directly over water. Then its either to the right or left or in the case of the 18th basket directly behind.

I made it all the way to 18 before losing my second teebird in as many days. Yellow x-out, its yours if you find it. I fished for half an hour

not a fan of long, forced carries over water for a number of reasons, the primary one being that it's all black and white. a shot that diagonals over water and affords players a continuum of grey in their choice of how aggressive a line to take is much more interesting.

I love those kinds of shots where it's totally up to the player to decide how much to bite off. You can play the safe straight across or go for the glory with a bigger risk. The big par 5 along the lake at Winthrop offers that, you have to decide when to go for the green (or whether to go the long way around and avoid the water altogether).

Finding a water crossing that allows disc retrieval on a blown shot is a God-send.

None of that sissy safe route stuff here, make the carry or lose the disc is what I am used to...

Hole 7, Jordan Park

ff61b97b.jpg

Finding a water crossing that allows disc retrieval on a blown shot is a God-send.

None of that sissy safe route stuff here, make the carry or lose the disc is what I am used to...

Hole 7, Jordan Park

ff61b97b.jpg

That's a prime example of what I don't like. While those shots are pretty,they are poor uses of hazards with great potential. For many players the water isn't really in play. For many players the water is either a guaranteed lost disc or a mandatory skipped hole. For a few players, whose max distance is the required carry + a few feet, the hole will separate a good shot from a bad shot for them.

Bottom line, for 90% of players the hazard is either overly punitive or doesn't come into play at all and doesn't present any grey area for true risk/reward strategizing.

There's a shorter tee (first drop zone?) on that hole and another drop zone on the other side. You could let the player who can't throw across from the shorter tee play from the really short DZ playing their 3rd shot.

Hard for me to judge D in a picture but I'd go straight across on Harold's and lay up on the near bank of Brad's.

Lol, If I had a nickle for every layup shot that I have seen go too far and end up in the hazard. It is likely that if you are not able to throw across a 220' water carry...you aren't accurate enough to layup 60 of the 70' you have before the hazard. Cedar Hills in Raleigh is like this. I have seen plenty of people layup into the pond on hole 7 (I think)?

vista del camino (shelly sharpe) in scotsdale, az. LOTS of tee shots over water. most of them do offer a safe route over dry land but the risk/reward is worth it to just go for it.

I'll have to check back, don't have time to read this thread, but it looks interesting. On my home course (Buckhorn @Harris lake), there are 6 holes with water in play.
Two (8, 15) involve water behind the tee, to quash/scare 'go for the ace run' delusions.
One (17) involves a 300' foot hole with a 100' wide pond. With the basket on the far bank, so you try to go for it (low ceiling, no hyzer/anny lines) or lay up. But its a pond, so you CAN play around on the bank...
One (10) has a long tee that is 270' over an inlet of the lake, you HAVE to throw over water. But the short tee allows for no over-water play (which, incidently, I've lost more discs on...).
Two (9, 11) involve playing along the bank. They can both be done without going over water, but to birdie, you need to. They are fun holes, and even though I've played them many many times, I still struggle with what to do, and to do it right often...

I'm thinking pond hole at Buckhorn is longer than you think. Either that or I am a noodle-armed pansy-ass.

Oh yeah, I am a noodle arm...

How many is too many again? I rather enjoy lots of water.

My personal course sports seven of nine holes with water in play, most being over it and varying in length from 200' to 320'.

A few examples for fun:

Attachments

• #7 270'.jpg
    #7 270'.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 41
  • #8 320'.jpg
    #8 320'.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 41
  • #4 210'.jpg
    #4 210'.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 39
w0w, the second one looks scary!

To be sure ... don't carry 300' downhill and you're wet. Fade too soon and the backside of the damn is rough. Turn too much and trees knock you down; wet. Too long and there's an OB fence 15' beyond the pin to the right. Yeah, it's scary ... but fun!

Here's a rag tag overview of the course (I intend on doing a "walk through" thread):

Attachments

• Mersch Pond Layout (1024x598).jpg
    Mersch Pond Layout (1024x598).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 22