• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Teebird lite review

wakefield724

Being a bigger buy and a power thrower I tend to avoid lighter discs. I am a big supporter of shopping at small business, and the small business I was at did not have a regular teebird so I decided to pick up and try a teebird lite. My mind is blown!
If you put any bit of power into this it's going to become a roller. After putting less power into my throw I gave it a nice toss and I literally said "holy s&@t!" With no power or effort at all this thing flew on a laser straight line and had a stupid amazing glide on it. The glide is what amazed me, it just kept going. I tried it more times and every throw was going 270ft-310ft on a straight line and with wicked awesome glide. This has become my new tunnel shot disc, or disc I use for windless short accurate drives.

Lite discs, unlike lite beers, are actually pretty cool. :)

*glares menacingly at lite beers* :mad: :|

how light are we talking? I remember some years back throwing 150 class Star TBs and they were just as nails straight as the "regular" ones.

I had a 150g 11x champ teebird that was my longest disc from about a year into playing and for the next 3-4 months after. I think it was a bit more stable than the starlite because I couldn't get any turm without a headwind but overpowering it a bit went straight for a good 260' before fading.

I walked away from it at dusk after throwing 7 drives because I was in a rush to get out of the way for the next group of players that I thought were done. I remember it was parked and went back as they were picking up their bags to leave and they denied seeing it.

I miss that disc.

I had a 150 Teebird just like that - flippy. I flipped it into a lake. But when I hit it just right, it did fly pretty nice.

expected you to say "they suck"

and im sure my review would be the same, they suck

my arm is like jenkins, and me and him agree, anything that isnt max weight is worthless

Don't let the max weight weenies discourage you. Light TeeBirds (and many other discs) fly great.

I've got a 150 DX TB that I like a lot. I have a starlite 150 TB that I like a little less. Kind of wish I'd tried a ~135-40 starlite.

But I'm no power thrower...

I have a 132g Katana Blizzard that I can throw about 10' high and 315' with a small turn and a small fade. If I throw it a bit higher it goes straight out and then fades hard, comes in handy on some holes for sure. I couldn't come close to throwing one (Katana) heavier than that though.

I had a similar mind blowing experience with a Starlite Valkyrie just yesterday. My wife and I were doing a little field practice while the kids attacked a playground, and right before we left I thought I'd give her new 148g SL Valk (she didn't really want it, picked up at a recent tourney) a whirl just for fun. I had been hitting around 300 ft with my 167g Inertia and some hyzer flipped DX Leopards and only had time for one more throw. Nose angle is always my limiting factor, just always having trouble combining power with a level-nosed throw. So of course I accidentally get the nose up a bit. And of course it goes way too high and I wait for the inevitable noob stall, which does happen, eventually, but waaay later than anyone watching would have expected. It faded like 50 ft to the left but was still cruising forward the whole time and ends up 10-15 ft further down the field than any other of my throws that day. There was no wind at all.

I immediately told her that it was no longer her disc and will be taking it back to the field as soon as possible to unlock its secrets.

Explain your reasoning behind this theory

I can't answer for elm but I'm reading it as sarcasm.

Also, lighter weight discs are good form checkers. If I start turning stuff over because of bad form, I drop down to lighter weights, powered down, to get my timing back.

I take it the OP is talking about StarLite and not regular Star. I don't know enough about StarLite plastic to make a valid statement. I will stand by my statement that 150 class regular Star TBs fly like heavier Star TBs.

If StarLite is air infused like Blizzard then yes it is a complete crapshoot on stability.

I take it the OP is talking about StarLite and not regular Star. I don't know enough about StarLite plastic to make a valid statement. I will stand by my statement that 150 class regular Star TBs fly like heavier Star TBs.

If StarLite is air infused like Blizzard then yes it is a complete crapshoot on stability.

Really? How depressing. I've never tried or even looked into Blizzard or StarLite before and if that Valk throw I described above proves to not have been a complete fluke I was planning on buying a few more at the same weight. But now maybe not...

Well you can get Valk in 150g in regular Champion, Star. GStar and DX. To get below 150 you have to use StarLite.

on the Innova site: "The StarLite line incorporates Blizzard technology into our popular Star plastic."
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/disc-golf-faq/plastic-types-overview.html

This means that they are inject air bubbles into the mold along with the plastic. this can and does screw up the weight distribution in the wing/rim. Blizzard/Starlite is the result of the desire to make wide rim fast drivers under 170g. When added to narrower rim discs it can screw up the weight distribution even further.

What you noticed Wreckreation (nice name btw) was a powered through stall shot due to a lighter weight disc. You will probably see the same or better results with a normal plastic 150 class valk.

Really? How depressing. I've never tried or even looked into Blizzard or StarLite before and if that Valk throw I described above proves to not have been a complete fluke I was planning on buying a few more at the same weight. But now maybe not...

It's actually about color with innova star plastics. If you like the stability of the starlite valk, get more discs in that color. I wouldn't say it's a crap shoot in any way.

^Probably only true if from the same production run, I believe.

I wish I had an idea how to pick a starlite valk that wasn't as overstable. I'd be stoked about that. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the DX 150.