• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Tell me about the Squall

The Squall is a great disc, but it's fast for a midrange. It's a tweener disc, good for medium length drives or long approach shots. Slower midrange and putters would be better suited for typical approach shots, IMO. Also, I would only own the Squall in SP plastic for added glide and slightly slower speed.

SP and Proline squalls are totally different animals, also SP has less glide than Proline.

I don't agree that SP has less glide than ProLine in the case of the Squall. I have a tie-dye ProLine that is fast and low on glide.

IMO, the meteor and squall have the same flight path. However you need to throw the meteor on a higher line.

I haven't thrown the "zombee" but it felt very similar to a squall just a little bit domier.

I bought the Squall thinking it would be under-stable. Mine isn't, so I bought a Meteor which is as advertised. Both 167-168g and newish.

The Meteor is much more understable than a Squall, comparing them in similar conditions. I would call the Squall a "stable" midrange when new.

A Squall is a seasoned Roc, whereas a Meteor would be a Coyote if we're doing the "X brand to Innova" game.

The Squall is my "oh sh!t" disc. Whenever I am thinking how do I get outta this mess, I throw the Squall and good things seem to happen.
I may go two or three weeks without throwing it, but there is no way that it will ever not in my bag.
I am of the belief that the Squall is THE most under rated disc on the market.
Don't pass up the opportunity to throw one.

How similar is the Squall to the Zombee as far as rim and shape?

The squall is awesome. Agree with others here saying it is easy distance, glides, holds any line, and more of a fairway driver than mid.
My friend has the sparkle, but we both like my pro line more.

On a side note, yesterday I was looking for my squall for like 15minutes in my park, when I see 2 ladies chucking it at their dog! ....I'm like excuse me I think that's mine. And they saw me throwing 6 other discs too...

Dog left teeth marks in the underneath rim...but I blame the humans.

How similar is the Squall to the Zombee as far as rim and shape?

Really similar, I'd say 75-80%. IIRC doesn't the Zombee have a half-bead? If so that's the biggest difference, the Squall is beadless.

Here's the (simplified) nerd specs dug up for ya:

-------|Max|--|Diameter|-|Height|-|Rim Depth|-|Diameter Inside Rim|-|Rim Thickness|

Squall: 178.5 -- 21.5 ----- 1.8 ------ 1.3 ---------- 18.6 ------------ 1.3

Zombee: 179.3 -- 21.6 ----- 2.1 ------ 1.2 ---------- 18.4 ------------ 1.6

Yea, ever since the Volt was supposedly measured wrong I've been skeptical of the PDGA's specs. I was thinking about picking up a Squall, but if it's that similar to my Zombees, I'll hold off.

My buddy pulls off some amazing forehand approaches with a Squall. So much so that I'm considering putting one in my bag.

That being said would it just overlap my Gummy Star Stingray?

I have a very nice proline squall that I think I'm ready to get rid of, if interested pm me.
I could take trades or $12
I throw dx rocs, kc pro rocs, anything in my sig/wants.

Love my Squall. The Red SP I found a over a year ago is a super long, glidey, Mid range. I didn't realize what a gem I had found until later. A couple months ago it was the Squall that I could throw as far as a Blizzard Katana that convinced me to give up high speed discs. I've tried to kick it out of my bag with low stability and/or high glide Mids, like the MVP Tangent or Buzzz SS, but I keep coming back to it and making nice shots with it. So it is staying now. It has worn into a nice understable disc that I can throw flat with power and expect it to turn smoothly. I can take lines straight at baskets, or slight anhyzer lines, in the 250 range, to avoid obstacles on the right that my more stable Mids would have trouble with. Got a nice birdy on 19 at Dela with it today doing just that. I can also throw it higher with some hyzer flip and get nice S shaped lines.

hey; question.

anybody thrown an axis and a squall? i want to know their similarities and differences in flight, etc.

Squall is longer than an Axis. The Squall is kind of a tweener between fairways and midranges, where the Axis is more of a true midrange. I prefer the Squall personally because it is more versatile IMO. :clap:
The Squall also has more of an S-turny type of flight path, where the Axis is just straight if that makes sense. Squalls are really good for shorter hyzer flip shots as well.

hmm. okay; thanks for the info! to be honest, i love the way the axis just bombs so i don't know if i'll be going for the squall or not, but i'll put it on the list of discs to try for sure.

Squall is longer than an Axis. The Squall is kind of a tweener between fairways and midranges, where the Axis is more of a true midrange. I prefer the Squall personally because it is more versatile IMO. :clap:
The Squall also has more of an S-turny type of flight path, where the Axis is just straight if that makes sense. Squalls are really good for shorter hyzer flip shots as well.

^^ This is what I've found too. Axis is short, lacks glide relative to a Squall, and has a buzzzlike flight path. A squall is more like a tweener speed, seasoned Roc. It works more S-curve flights.

^^ This is what I've found too. Axis is short, lacks glide relative to a Squall, and has a buzzzlike flight path. A squall is more like a tweener speed, seasoned Roc. It works more S-curve flights.

Sounds like a Warship.