• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

Would this compliment my c-fd (the first run) nicely as being more stable but not as stable as fb. So would this fill the role between firebird and c-fd or should i be looking for something different

Yes! I throw Stags in between Banshees and Underworlds - Underworlds are more US than C-FDs, but it's the same principle. VIP will have less turn, more fade, and fight the wind better than the Tournament. Right now I'm rocking 170+ VIPs and 165ish Tourneys, and they compliment each other very well - VIP for windier conditions and that earlier, greater fade, and Tourneys for a bit of turn and flying straighter longer before the fade kicks in. I've never thrown FDs, so perhaps a really beefy C-FD will overlap a bit with a light weight Tourney Stag, but a VIP Stag shouldn't overlap at all.

Way more distance potential than a Firebird.

Got a 169 VIP Stag last month and thats one of the best discs ive tried.Was thinking about getting a tourney to have laser beam flight with a bit of fade. Vip seem to have a bit too much fade and my c-fd is a bit too understable for that. Would a high 160ish-low 170ish toruney stag fill this slot?

Got a 169 VIP Stag last month and thats one of the best discs ive tried.Was thinking about getting a tourney to have laser beam flight with a bit of fade. Vip seem to have a bit too much fade and my c-fd is a bit too understable for that. Would a high 160ish-low 170ish toruney stag fill this slot?
I have a 168 that is exactly what you seek. Love that one!!

I was disappointed in the short on-course testing of the Stag I did. It flipped over a few times on me, and was not as straight a line like my Volt or Teebird. Was in heavy wind though. I need to try it again without wind.

I have a 168 that is exactly what you seek. Love that one!!

My experience is pretty similar to Mr. Glass. I will say that the Tourney's fade is not too much less than the VIP's, but it does fly straighter longer, with the potential for a touch of turn, making it much better for the shots that you describe. It's my go-to for such shots.

I was disappointed in the short on-course testing of the Stag I did. It flipped over a few times on me, and was not as straight a line like my Volt or Teebird. Was in heavy wind though. I need to try it again without wind.

Try a max weight VIP. Their wind resistance varies a lot depending on weight and plastic.

I just got a 170 VIP stag and man was that disc gummy. It feels grippier, but less stiff than a Opto but feels good in the hand. I call it my new "Christmas Disc" as it is Red with a green stamp hehe...

I just got a 170 VIP stag and man was that disc gummy. It feels grippier, but less stiff than a Opto but feels good in the hand. I call it my new "Christmas Disc" as it is Red with a green stamp hehe...

you stole my disc? :D Mines just like that just 1g lighter

stags are becoming my new favorite driver. light tp and heavy vip. was looking through my stash of backups. i have one stag tp that has significantly lower plh and higher dome. This one is my least stable and most squirlley. If you are looking at stags make sure to check the plh if you have a chance. unfortunately this is one of the better looking swirly yellows i have.

Huh, I'll have to check mine out and compare - I also have a light weight yellow Tourney that is pretty looking, although I wouldn't consider it squirrelly. I'll have to compare it to my VIPs, which are much more resistant to turning.

I'm definitely reaching for my TP more and more as time passes and I grow familiar with it. At 165, finding backups isn't easy though, so for now I'm just being careful with it. *knocks on wood*

I had a huge tailwind drive with a 169 TP Stag at league last night
I couldn't believe how far it went

I threw it as a test...I would normally have thrown the asking in that situation

A bit more testing but I might remove my 169/170 Saints for TP Stags of that weight for tailwind and turnovers and keep my 175 VIP Stag for hyzer a and heavier winds

The vip of mine is the best driver in my bag. Its the most reliable disc in my bag and i know what it does everytime. Its not too overstable for me to throw and always when i need a drive and there is room to right i throw this disc cos it will fade where i want it to. If i had to play round with one driver it would be this. Going to get some more of these maybe a heavy vip and light tourney to complement my 169 vip.

Got to throw mine for the first time today and I believe it has a permanent spot in the bag now. It feels really good in my hand and flies great.

In no wind or a tailwind, very similar to a teebird. With a headwind, more like a TL and the stronger the headwind, the more it will turn.

Remember many Swedish discs prefer smoothness over 100% power so if you throw it like a torque monkey, it will flip

Remember many Swedish discs prefer smoothness over 100% power so if you throw it like a torque monkey, it will flip
Very true. The stag is a great driver if you remember to slow down. Unfortunately it's looking to replace my saints and they have been my main driver since they came out. But the stag is more trustworthy. Lighter tp heavy VIP is cash money!

I'm also rocking the light Tourney/heavy VIP combo. I only wish Tourneys around 165 were easier to find. Still need to try an Air Stag.

One of my Tourneys is really starting to show wear at this point, which is interesting to see. It's got way more turn now, and will hold strong annys all the way to the ground. Still roughly the same amount of fade. I just picked up another 165 Tourney, so I'm going to see how having a fresh one compliments one more worn in.

Picked up a 173 gr TP Stag last week and its in the bag. Love the Glide on this disc. My compadres kept asking " what did you throw?". Flexed a shot around 320ft with an easy throw. Also threw a few 300 ft plus hyzers that straightened out and faded back at the end. Is VIP plastic more stable than the TP? I would like one of these with a harder fade.

Last edited:
Wow that was a lot of reading, I just got a VIP 170 stag hoping to replace my ch sparkle 168 teebird as my wind disc
May or may not be the case, I will see
I don't have the greatest form, and my fuse and river don't agree with me so they stay home
I hope that's nor the case with this stag also