• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

no TBs my friend

but my recollection from some time ago is that my VIP has about the same dome

do you want a profile pic of the stag?

I can't do it just at the moment (babysitting 3 kids)

my VIP tester Stag has about the same dome as my GL Saints

My VIP Stag has the same as my GL saint aswell.. but my saint was booted out of my 2013 line up because it became too flippy... thats why I got the stags. I have 2 Stags... im gonna experiment with the dome on the lighter one to see what will become of it to help the community out in future purchases. :)

Let the dyes begin

519731-house_baratheon_game_of_thrones_21729434_1600_1200_large.jpg

Just got my VIP 171g beautiful pink with purple stamp Stag!!!! Can not wait to throw this thing! Its gonna pair amazingly with my Rivers and Saints!!!

So I've thrown my TP Stag about 50 more times, and I've come upon two conclusions:

1) the glide on this thing is unreal
2) it's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none

The closest thing it does to excel is on low hyzer-flip lazer beams...but again, its nothing that 6 or 7 other discs can do; probably more if you count some of the longer mid-ranges. The downside to that is when thrown that low, the glide isn't that noticeable. Give it height, even in a tailwind, and it becomes a little more unpredictable. You can get more distance that way, but it starts to defeat the whole "control driver" thing. Another interesting note is that, after a few good rock hits, the outer veneer is starting to peel. A little dirt got under the peeling, so I'm sure that will just make things way worse as time goes on. Never had this problem with my TP Kings or my TP Boatman. So kinda weird.

I threw a huge variety of shots, in various wind conditions and tempertures, in wide open fields and tight wooded areas. Still, I'm confounded by this disc. It feels great in the hand, and the TP blend (aside from the weird peeling) is fabulous. Yet, I just can't see a spot in my bag for this. My Teebirds go farther and fight wind better, same for my Volnt (even in a lighter weight than my 169g Stag)...I can get similar shot lines with my Shocks albiet with less glide but more distance and the same hard fade, and my Patriot is much more understable though possesses the same realm of shot-shaping. So, the Stag could probably be a decent (not great) utility driver for another player, just not for me at this time.

As a member of the InfiniteDiscs reviewer team, I've got an Underworld and Tursas on the way...I'm hoping they outperform the Stag. Again, not displeased at all with the Stag, just not a knockout fairway driver from Westside.

Another aspect worth mentioning is the very delicate sweet spot this disc has. Too low speed (thrown like a mid-range disc) and it will just "hyzer out" on you...thrown too hard and it will turn and burn fast. While this is of course true with all drivers, I've never really seen one this sensitive.

Another interesting note is that, after a few good rock hits, the outer veneer is starting to peel. A little dirt got under the peeling, so I'm sure that will just make things way worse as time goes on. Never had this problem with my TP Kings or my TP Boatman. So kinda weird.

I had a Westside King with peeling veneer. Marshall St. replaced it and put me in touch with Lat. 64. Apparently these are defective and were meant to be pulled. My king also flew extremely flippy and nothing like its replacement by the way. So, I would contact the vendor and get a replacement. I doubt your Stag is flying as it was designed to.

I have a white VIP giant that has a nick along the outer edge and the top laying of veneer started peeling away, makes it look a lot worse than what it really is.

Regarding the dome on the Stag is affecting the turn alot... I did some tweak on one of my stags, since it had less hight than my teebird (teebird = 16mm).. The stag is suposed to have 18mm but both of my stags were shorter when I aligned them with teebird to compare. Now after some tweaking and i reckon my stag has a (more) correct dome now. it is exactly what i wanted (a love child of the trident and teebird). So if you want a stable stag, ask or look for one that is domey i would say.

my 170g VIP Stag threw like a glidier Eagle, which is what I bought it to be, super happy, fealt like I got the same throw and flight without having to put as much into it.

my 170g VIP Stag threw like a glidier Eagle, which is what I bought it to be, super happy, fealt like I got the same throw and flight without having to put as much into it.

This. Got my first throws today on course with my 171g pink VIP Stag and it rocks. I never really clicked with the Banshee, it seriously lacks glide in my opinion. Parked a 250' dogleg right hole with it today with my FH :clap: I've previously had troubles flicking a Saint on the same hole, because of the turn and lack of fade (and my poor FH form of course).

More field work is required but the first impressions are good.

This. Got my first throws today on course with my 171g pink VIP Stag and it rocks. I never really clicked with the Banshee, it seriously lacks glide in my opinion. Parked a 250' dogleg right hole with it today with my FH :clap: I've previously had troubles flicking a Saint on the same hole, because of the turn and lack of fade (and my poor FH form of course).

More field work is required but the first impressions are good.

Nice to hear. Ditto on the Banshee's lack of glide: I pulled my increasingly-beat X Cyclone out of the bag a few months ago and have just thrown Rivers and Banshees. Their feel in the hand pairs well together, but they couldn't be more different through the air, and the disjunction of effort each requires has encouraged me to find a glidier compliment to the River. Stag sounds like it'll be perfect. I imagine I'll still need the Banshee for seriously windy days - you get a lot of those down here given the flat terrain, and the Banshee handles those like a champ - but it'll be nice to have a more complimentary, likely farther-flying alternative to the Banshee when it's not too windy.

As an aside, it seems like the VIPs are getting better grades overall than those in TP, or at least, that's been my impression. Anybody who has thrown both plastics?

The stag is a pretty sweet disc. New out of the box they fly very similar to my Eagle Xs in 11x champ plastic but like everyone has said, better glide. Very predictable, great glide, loving the stability and they feel good in the hand too.

This whole Swedish invasion is taking over some slots up in my bag...

I'm tellin y'all , if they put out an over stable mid and os putter, my whole bag will be taken over by Westside, and I'm totally fine with that

Went out and played what may of been the best round of my life shooting a plus 3 on 21 holes at bicentinnal park in Crowley Texas. I was trying out my new westside disc. Mostly northman, and stag for drives. I probably drive with the stage 14 or 15 of 21 holes. It had amazing glide when thrown with good form. I think I had one bad throw with it so it corrected itself well. Most of the shots were on a straight line as well. I did ace run a couple holes with it. It is now in the bag. I used the tourney one (redish orange) not the pink VIP I had. Let a friend play with that one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 60