• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terrible tournament

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
So I debated on posting this here for the past couple days. Alas, my curiosity won the better of me.

I had been battling strep for a week as of this past Saturday. I wasn't sleeping well and I hadn't gotten any practice in all of last week. My wife had signed me up for the granbury open for Father's Day with the promise of spectating. I couldn't turn it down.

So Saturday rolls around and I hadn't slept more than 3-4 hours. We get to the course an hour away and I just feel like death. My first round started with 9 holes of even and then I crumbled. I seriously could not hit a putt outside of ten feet.

I ended the round with my worst rating ever. 845. The second round was shorter pins but I still didn't hit a putt outside of 10 ft. I ended with a little better score of 890. My putting confidence is at a 0 right now.

So my question is, have y'all ever had a tournament round were you just couldn't get something to work? Putting, driving, mid range? And how did y'all get over it?

A couple of weekends ago for sure. My putting AND my upshots were dreadful. Teeshots were pretty good for the most part. I was pretty disgusted lol I've recovered nicely though, played one of my best rounds ever this past weekend. Just gotta stick with it.

My final round at the Maple Hill Open on Sunday was awful. I just was off all day. Couldn't get off the tee, couldn't putt, couldn't find my range on upshots.

It happens, we all have bad days. I'm taking a couple days off to just clear the bad play from my head and will be ready to bounce back at my next tournament in a couple weeks.

I had this exact feeling this past Saturday. I played a one day tournament in West Virginia and I had never played either course. I shot 817 and 842 rated rounds respectively and just felt really bad about how I played. Every shot during the first round just felt like I couldn't loosen up physically or mentally. I got out to a local league event on Sunday and played some better competition and my game picked back up. I played at league doubles well tonight too so I'm hoping it was just a blip on the proverbial radar. It was so frustrating knowing that I have played and can play so much better and that just eats at you. Just get back out there and hit the local course and hopefully you get right back on track.

My second round driving was pretty spot on. I had 6 consecutive birdie opportunities inside of 20 ft and I only made two of them because they were drop ins. My problem wasn't wide misses or anything, I just hit pan on every single putt.

And I didn't mean to belittle an 845 rated round. I've been there. I just should of had a 950 rated on both rounds.

Brad, at least you got to the final round! :) I'm envious.

I've had more than my share of awful rounds in tournaments. I can't count the number of times I've come home and thought "Why do I shoot 6 strokes worse in a tournament? I never have a problem with that course."

Last fall I was tied for 4th or 5th out of 26 people after the first round at Borderland, and I was really happy with my relatively mistake-free play. In the second round, it all went south. I couldn't hit my lines. I short armed my approaches and left myself with long putts that I had no confidence in. Every tree I hit gave me the worst bounce. It was so bad the round didn't even count in my rating (due to that quirk about rounds that are below one standard deviation or whatever). So there was that. I finished close to last and was just disgusted. I'm sure the guys on my card were thinking "How did this guy end up on the 2nd card anyway?"

I once shot a 767-rated round, followed by a 947. The 767 was at Trophy Lakes, where there's plenty of disc-eating water, but I was so bad I couldn't even hit it. 767, and no lost discs. Go figure.

My final round at the MN Majestic was pretty bad. To the point where I couldn't figure out how to grip my disc anymore and everything was coming out nose up and wildly off-line. I didn't throw a disc for six days afterwards. Tended to the yard, did some other projects around the house, and then went shot a semi-decent round the next Saturday.
Just clear your head a little and you'll come back fine.

Hey man, strep dosent play. Last time I had strep I had to get my wife to take me to the doctor. I had fever, aches, nausea, I almost could not swallow my own spit. I was more than happy to drop my shorts,get a penicillin and steroid shot. Then go home and pass out. I even missed work and that is something I never do.

My family doctor told me that the older you are and get strep the worse it feels/is on your body. The time I had it before that one he prescribed me a liquid co-done ( or something along those lines, I have to ask my wife what is was ) for pain.

I could hardly pick my self up let alone attempt to play DG.

At Throw Down the Mountain in January, I had a fever and was shivering uncontrollably for 3 hours. But, with my affection for the Gran Canyon property and the long wait to play there, there was no way I was quitting. Funny thing was, I shot one of my better rounds in recent years.

Afterwards, I considered trying to get the flu to see if I could win a tournament.

Yes, I've had those rounds. But I've been playing long enough and know my game well enough that I trust it to come back. So I will quickly shift into damage-control mode, try not to lose any more strokes than I have to, rely more heavily on whichever parts of my game I still have, and trust that my game will be back soon. It usually is by the next round, if not sooner.

One specific example is putting. I've had to finish rounds laying up every putt outside 20 feet. I also throw both backhand and forehand equally well, and I've had some rounds where one or the other just disappears. I've had backhands get so bad that I was throwing a forehand anhyzer shot on hole where there is no question that a backhand hyzer is better line.

My advice would be to not get strep throat, but should you already have strep throat then my advice would be not to play with strep throat.

I once shot a 767-rated round, followed by a 947. The 767 was at Trophy Lakes, where there's plenty of disc-eating water, but I was so bad I couldn't even hit it. 767, and no lost discs. Go figure.

My biggest one round jump was from 773 to a 993.

IDGC Am Champs this year was ... uh ... interesting to say the least

- Jim Warner: 939
- Steady Ed: 763
- WR Jackson: 935

... basically an incredible perfect storm of a round on Steady Ed. Early/late releases, roll aways, kicks OB into water, a couple spit throughs. Helluva round.

If I had actually tried to "throw" the round, I would've shot better. Should've just thrown FH rollers off the tee ... probably could've done at least 850 rated just doing that :\

The 763 doesn't count towards my rating, but it kinda became a waste of a weekend/money after that lol

Last edited:
My running joke/problem is that I never play a tourney in which BOTH my putting/driving are feeling good. Always one or the other. And that is why I am stuck at 898-905 rated....those days when both are on (in my eyes), I play closer to 930-945 rated.

First off, you have no reason to be playing sick like that. It's gonna be bad for your focus, bad for your physical body in the way of touch shots like P & A, and the poor performance is going to rattle you worse than anything else. I just don't see the upside - stay in bed.

On the final point, I have played really bad where my putts just would not connect, as it turns out that is usually just my muscles adjusting to something and when I finally get control over it I have improved my range and accuracy and shoot with improved confidence. In order to grow, you have to change, and by changing you are entering back into the realm of the unknown... of course you are going to do bad there at first. Just pay close attention during that time, even take some extra putts and figure out what is going on.

First off, you have no reason to be playing sick like that. It's gonna be bad for your focus, bad for your physical body in the way of touch shots like P & A, and the poor performance is going to rattle you worse than anything else. I just don't see the upside - stay in bed.
You forgot to mention bad for everyone around you. Strep is highly contagious and I would be seriously pissed if someone was selfish enough to show up and play with a contagious illness!

I thought this thread was going to be some rant about a TD putting on a poorly run tourney.
Yes we all have had a really bad round.

i just played my first tournament at mn majestic. i was just awful. i mean i was not on my game in any aspect. 2 of the courses i had only played twice before, but the last course i've played upwards of 200 times. i shot a 123 on a par 88 when normally i'm upper 90's/lower 100's. since then (not quite two weeks ago) i've been practicing nonstop to find/correct the flaws that i've apparently gained. the thing that kills me is that i scored worse on this tournament than even in my first year of playing.
i guess changing how you throw is a bad idea 2 weeks before you do a tournament. :wall: