• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE BASKETS ARE IN!!!

Re 8, 12 and 13, et al.

8, 8, 8, the hole people love to hate. Jason, we have permission and directive to clear that hillside as we see fit. I left those saplings when I worked that area probably because I was probably just tired when I got to that area. Thinking ahead, it would probably be best to take them down, along with all other saplings, as we get rid of the brier and bramble bushes. I do remember one little Cedar at the base of the hill maybe about halfway down that might be cool to leave, for the year round green color, if nothing else.
I just never imagined a problem with 12, with the fence and steep hill acting as barriers and the Mando light pole at the turn acting as directive.
I do remember wishing that the fence extended all the way down the fields when I first walked that land that is now #13, but really thought and still think that with the width of the fairway, the up slope and the distance between course OB and soccer pitch OB that it wouldn't be the danger that it is being perceived to be. My one real unconsidered shortsightedness there are the spectators. Warning signs for that area are planned and when necessary a "heads up!' shout out should alleviate much of the worry.
Though not designed with the distance and difficulty of The SPC, I have seen and played so many other courses with closer proximity to other activity areas, I did not foresee and still don't see it. As the course description declares, strict OB's and Mando's make placement and precision as important as pure power. Holes like 13 and 18 require long thought along with long throws. 13 can be eagled with a three, as I saw it happen the day we did our walk-through demonstration for the P&R people. I have to agree with Jason that 18 is definitely a 5, as is 13. As for the thought of combining 16 and 17...Primary and tertiary designers saw that area as another loooong par 5, but the sense that secondary designer made won out, with proximity to the street and the relative safety issue being the deciding factor. You see, we really did consider such things, even on the holes most in question. It's why I shortened #4 by 200', losing one of our original unquestionably par 4's.
BC, I REALLY appreciate that you appreciate the course, overall. I hope that you and others can appreciate that holes like 3 and 13 were purposely laid out to tempt difficult distance throwing, tempered with detailed decision making. That's why they're 5's and not 4's and why #8 is a 6, rather than the originally designated 5. And at the other end of the spectrum, for which I've read and heard similar labels of silliness, that is why 5 and 17 are 2's, rather than their original designations of 3.
Perhaps and probably too pompous and ego-maniacal, I really do hope that over the course of time and with the installation of planned cautionary and other signage and paint lines, The SPC will be seen as a real life instance of The Fountainhead, as reviewer paulymonnc sees it.

Last edited:
Dave's probably right

I do remember that in clearing that area of he hillside on 8, I left the saplings for the erosion reason, as well as the tiredness factor. If I ever get transportation to get back up there, I will definitely take a close look. If there's enough grass in that area to hold the soil, they could be easily taken out. But their presence does present a natural guide post, so to speak.

Having spent 4 hours on my knees for some of it, I can tell you that tall grass is holding the soil in place just fine. Better, in fact, than hole 12. I also agree some saplings should stay, but probably not these right off the tee. Once past the street, I think a tree here and there on the hill is a great idea.

Lost my son's red Dragon yesterday on hole 7 at Springwood. Went back today hoping to find it, unsuccessfully, but found a pair in the rough that had been there for a while. If you are John Spears or Chris Sparks (or the mysterious "Jacobs"), or know them, PM me with a description of what you lost. And next time, put yer phone number on the disc!

Thinking that I am going to be playing here on sunday Nov. 10th in the morning if anyone would like to show me around

I'd Like to

Thinking that I am going to be playing here on sunday Nov. 10th in the morning if anyone would like to show me around

Hey Pat...It would be a privilege to play a round with someone of your experience and achievements. And I suppose that there's no one better qualified to 'show you around' than I.

I got to experience the accident known as Springwood. I'll speak as kindly as possible...

:gross:

:wall:

:mad:

:sick:

:eek:

I got to experience the accident known as Springwood. I'll speak as kindly as possible...

Aww, that's a bit harsh. paulymonnc's drive by 4.5-star review says the course "defines the sport for the future." Any clue what exactly that means?

It was an experience. As a disc golfer and a parks and rec professional I could not believe the safety hazards that this course has. I will be amazed if it survives very long in its current layout. But even if the park was 100 percent empty of other activities this course is not top of the line championship material. I'll give a greater description once I get to a computer and can type more freely

It was an experience. As a disc golfer and a parks and rec professional I could not believe the safety hazards that this course has. I will be amazed if it survives very long in its current layout. But even if the park was 100 percent empty of other activities this course is not top of the line championship material. I'll give a greater description once I get to a computer and can type more freely

That stinks. The last thing you would want is for someone to get hurt and/or the course get pulled because of mistakes that could have been avoided/fixed in the planning process.

Aww, that's a bit harsh. paulymonnc's drive by 4.5-star review says the course "defines the sport for the future." Any clue what exactly that means?

Maybe there is no future for disc golf, and this course is kind of like the beginning of the end. Like a bad cold that morphs into a deadly virus.

I rarely read reviews of courses I haven't played and likely won't play.....

But I have to say that, after reading the reviews on this course, I'm dying to play it to see for myself if it's the jewel some people think, or the train wreck everyone else does.