• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] The Best/Worst of the PDGA Discs

mavsfan

Par Member
I know that a lot of folks will have a favorite disc that the PDGA sends forth as their signature disc in a particular year, and at the same time quite a few folks will think that the gratis gift from PDGA is worthless.

So look in the bag (or in the marketplace) and nominate what you feel is the best disc, and the worst disc that the PDGA sent you for being a member... or that you picked up out of the marketplace because you think black discs are cool.

I am only familiar with 3 so please indicate year if you remember the specifics:

ESP Stalker
Lat 64 Diamond
MVP Inertia

I found a stalker in puddle that was a really good disc for me until it got too flippy. I got my inertia for signing up this year and it's 150 class. I haven't thrown it, but my buddy threw his and said it turns and burns right out of the box, so it's just hanging on my wall

I've thrown all 3 so-

The Stalker is the best of the bunch. Nice stable/straight flight even for low power. Higher power they're a great hyzerflipper. Nice woods disc.

Diamond is next. Great for low power players distance and turnovers but too flippy to be good for most. Roller city for any power.

The Inertia I never liked at all, in fact I hated it. Hard to say that about many discs but it's true for this one. Slick and stiff, terrible feel. No glide, flippy, just bad. :sick:

I would've kept and thrown the diamond but it was all black. It was almost guaranteed to be lost here in these wooded North East courses.

Love my ESP Stalker. I've had 2, both money. I don't have the PDGA Inertia, but I have a regular N Inertia, and it's my longest disc.

I would've kept and thrown the diamond but it was all black. It was almost guaranteed to be lost here in these wooded North East courses.

Exactly. Love how it flies, but play almost always in the woods. That thing would be lost quick. I ended up getting bright neon yellow one.

I have a Inertia and a diamond but have never thrown either. The inertia is a much better looking wall hanger though, lol.

I've got the Diamond and I threw it before but its an awesome disc. Most people have the inability to power down and get it down the fairway but for me, I throw it about 70% and just worry about the snap and watch it fly. At the BG Ams, I used it a decent amount especially on the longer anhyzer throws. I like how easy it is to get it to get distance but how its an easily controlled disc.

Just snagged an Inertia so I'll be interested to see how that throws as well.

Diamond works well for me on tight tunnel shots. Hyzer flips(lots of hyzer) dead straight and glides forever without much power.

Mine was a diamond. The disc was workable and I didn't mind it - but - why oh why all black??? Worthless for anything but fieldwork.

PDGA wants a black disc and I think that's great. Encourages you to keep the disc as a memento/hanger rather than a thrower, and it follows the Hall of Fame theme of black plastic. I think mine in 06/07 was an ESP Storm. The used bin at DN always had several Stalkers and Diamonds in there, kinda sad IMO.

Inertia is my favorite MVP mold so gotta go with that one, even though I've never even seen a PDGA Inertia in person :D

The current inertias are one of the few PDGA discs that actually have a resale value... You couldn't give away previous years stalkers or diamonds in the MP lol.

But OP is probably asking about the actual flights?!

I've thrown all 3 so-

The Stalker is the best of the bunch. Nice stable/straight flight even for low power. Higher power they're a great hyzerflipper. Nice woods disc.

Diamond is next. Great for low power players distance and turnovers but too flippy to be good for most. Roller city for any power.

The Inertia I never liked at all, in fact I hated it. Hard to say that about many discs but it's true for this one. Slick and stiff, terrible feel. No glide, flippy, just bad. :sick:

Yeah, but you're a well known MVP hater, so there's that. Diamonds are junk. They're ok for low power throwers, but only ok. Lots of better options out there.

I'd rate them:
1. Stalker
2. Inertia (could be 1, but I've heard a couple people say they're 150 class)
4. Diamond

In reality, the PDGA would have been better off handing out Fuses, Buzzz SS's and Theories than the drivers they chose, but that's a debate for another day.

I think they don't choose-i think the disc companies submit discs that they want more exposure to, and the PDGA picks from those.

Checked out the PDGA Inertia Saturday. It is definitely a looker. As far as a "free" disc visual wow factor it's the standout.

I really was looking for flight characteristics - I was also hoping there to be some discussion of the older discs that predated my time in PDGA.

However I do find the visual factor of the disc as appealing as anything else to discuss as well. I like the looks of the Diamond and the Inertia especially much better than the Stalker but would probably throw the Stalker above them if somebody forced me to throw "black" here.

I traded a much heavier Pink Proton Inertia to my buddy in exchange for his PDGA 155 Inertia because his son was using it as a thrower. Thought I was doing him a favor as his "new" disc would be easier to find and a little more usable in the wind. I actually got the Diamond when I registered in October for 2015.

The current inertias are one of the few PDGA discs that actually have a resale value... You couldn't give away previous years stalkers or diamonds in the MP lol.

But OP is probably asking about the actual flights?!

You can give all of those Stalkers to me. I can never have enough Stalkers, I don't care what color they are.