• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Blowfly

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Anyone have any thoughts on this disc? Seems like it would make a great approach disc.

I have only putted with one once. Just felt way too floppy for me...kinda like trying to fling a whoopy cushion. I could have swore it made a fart sound when it hit the chains!

I don't like them to much. The floppiness of the disc kind of messes with me.

I do have a buddy that swears by them. Out of all the times we have played I can only remember seeing a handful of his putts bounce off the chains or get any kind of roll once it hit the ground. They also just go limp as soon as they hit a tree (that can be good or bad). He also uses "gum putts" as well, these seem a little stiffer and I was actually considering getting one of these.

One less know advantage to the disc I learned recently when playing this friend. It was the 18th hole and we where both tied at one over par. My second shot was right on the money (10' away) his however was a long 65-70' putt to save par. I though surely I have one this match. Not the case. He threw his blowfly so hard from that distance it actually became lodged in the cage of the basket at the bottom of the goal. The tie breaker hole went to him. Darn blowfly any other disc would have made a "dong" sound and bounced to the ground.

Yeah,I once held a Blowfly and I kind of giggled and flopped it around in my palm and just put it right back down. But if the price were right,and if I was a little buzzed,MAYBE I'd pick one up. Purely out of simple drunken curiosity. By all means try it and please let the rest of the class know what you think.:)

BlowFly

I am a big fan of the BlowFly as a putter. NOT an approach disc. Putts from 100 feet or less. An excellent choice when putting onto fast greens. If youput too much a$$ on the BlowFly it will become very understable. I tell those who ask me about the BlowFly is that it gives me more made putts than I deserve.
If ouo get one, look for a 174g. I haven't seen one any heavier.

I bought one cause it was supposed to help with bound outs, the flimsy disc would absorb the impact more and fall into the basket. For me this was not the cause, my shots were still bouncing out and to top it off, I was less accurate with the floppy disc. Now it sits in the practice basket in my backyard and hasn't seen a course for a year.

What is the real difference between the Blowfly and Blowfly II? Anybody actually own both of them?

DGA says Blowfly I wrap its way around the chains and Blowfly II bounces off hard objects and absorbs the shock of the chain.

What is the real difference between the Blowfly and Blowfly II?
If I remember correctly, the Blowfly is made from the mold for the Gumbputt. The Blowfly II was made from the mold for the Powerdrive. The Blowfly II has a bit larger diameter and the wing comes to more of a driver-like "V" shape, kinda like an Aero. The Blowfly wing just comes to a big flat blunt edge.

Anybody actually own both of them?

NO! :eek: I don't own either of them. I just know stuff. :cool:

As a funny aside...The Blowfly II is not PDGA approved, at least it wasn't the last time I looked. The Powerdrive is approved, but the the Blowfly II is not. Both the Gumbputt and Blowfly are on the approved disc list.

The Blowfly is one of those "I know a guy who is killer who throws [insert crappy disc here] and cans everything with it" discs. My theory is that the disc is sooooo floppy that you HAVE to put spin on it to get any sort of consistency from it. Old Frisbee guys who are used to throwing with spin can probably figure this disc out and use it for finesse shots, long putts, approaches, etc. So you will run into some one-disc guys out there killing pitch and putt courses with a Blowfly and think "It must be the disc." It's not the disc, it's the guy. Discs like the Blowfly and 86 Softie are great discs in the right hands. Unfortunately for most of us, those hands are not ours. If you are like me and mostly play disc golf without a Frisbee background, the Blowfly is a flippy-floppy-inconsistent POS.

I recently checked one out at a local store ... it was way to flippy and I really didnt like the plastic for it, it was way to soft and floppy. It was really bouncy and I would be scared to actually try it out on the course.
overall, not impressed at all

The Blowfly is one of those "I know a guy who is killer who throws [insert crappy disc here] and cans everything with it" discs. My theory is that the disc is sooooo floppy that you HAVE to put spin on it to get any sort of consistency from it. Old Frisbee guys who are used to throwing with spin can probably figure this disc out and use it for finesse shots, long putts, approaches, etc. So you will run into some one-disc guys out there killing pitch and putt courses with a Blowfly and think "It must be the disc." It's not the disc, it's the guy. Discs like the Blowfly and 86 Softie are great discs in the right hands. Unfortunately for most of us, those hands are not ours. If you are like me and mostly play disc golf without a Frisbee background, the Blowfly is a flippy-floppy-inconsistent POS.
Perfectly said.:cool:

I guess that I'm one of those old "frisbee guys". For, I am a blowfly master. A few things that I did learn about them....blowfly II is a lighter version of the blowfly, and the outside edge is different <I personally don't care for it>. The blowfly goes from a slighly light weight 160's, up to 172g. the gumputt, which is basically the same as the blowfly, is a heavier weight 172-176 I believe. I have 2 blowflies in my bag, one that is seasoned, and that is my primary putter. One that is "newer", and that is my primary approach disc. Good things about blowflies...they float, they rarely roll, they usually land where they hit, they don't "skip" when they hit objects. bad things...the color can be harder to find in the dark, it takes a little getting used to, and when they get wet they are hard to dry off.
If you throw heavy weight putters, or stable putters try the gumputt. If you throw a lot of understable discs like myself, then the blowfly is better. But I do suggest the heavier weight <172>.
For anyone else ...if you have a blowfly, and don't like it....I'd be willing to take it off your hands!!!!

I only somewhat agree with this statement. I don't have a frisbee background at all and love my gumbputt. I don't use it all the time but it is perfect for longish (50-100') anhyzer putts. It holds a line well, glides well, and catches chains well. It also makes for a good pancake shot. It is also relatively easy to throw 250' pretty straight.

Most people don't like this disc because it is soft and floppy. I like it because the edge fits my hand well. As with any disc it works for some and not for others. I would not call this disc inconsistent and definitely not a POS.

Also, Danny all gumbputts are 150g.

As a funny aside...The Blowfly II is not PDGA approved, at least it wasn't the last time I looked. The Powerdrive is approved, but the the Blowfly II is not. Both the Gumbputt and Blowfly are on the approved disc list.

I was looking at a BFII yesterday at my local shop and it is PDGA approved now. I've never seen anyone use one though, heh.

Latest posts