• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired partially by the flywood discs and partly by my hardwood floor I thought maybe a disc that looked like wood would maybe get some respect from the trees on the course.
GL Saint
WFGLSaint.jpg

That's insane!:eek:

Dtp, was that all done with idye colors? Do you put "paint" mixtures on a palate so you can blend on demand like other artistic painters? How many brushes do you own? Natural hair or synthetic?

Dtp, was that all done with idye colors? Do you put "paint" mixtures on a palate so you can blend on demand like other artistic painters? How many brushes do you own? Natural hair or synthetic?

This one was actually all RIT. Golden yellow, tangerine and cocoa brown. Lines were a stencil dip in the brown then the various wood tones were created by airbrushing yellow, then the tangerine with a little of the brown mixed in.
I use a pretty runny mix of acetone so a palate wouldn't work to well. I use several small stainless steel ramekins some with pure rit colors, a few for 'mixed' colors and always have one handy full of clean acetone.
I've been drawing/painting for many many moons so I have too many brushes to count, but for dyeing I really only use 3 brushes. They are synthetic, but are very similar to the expensive sable brushes IMO. In combination with the brushes I use bamboo skewers for most small details as the brush tends to carry too much dye at once.

awesome, thanks for all the good info. bamboo skewer huh, I will have to try that. an airbrush! I thought I was the only 1. this is what I am currently working on. when I finally finish it I'll take a picture with a good camera, not my scratched up phone lens
IMAG0657_zps13eedccc.jpg

^Nice!! How do you keep the solids in the dye from clogging up your airbrush? I had to take mine completely apart to clean it when it clogged with idye. I've found that after I mix my acetone/dye I let it sit for a minute so the solids settle out then I use a syringe to suck up the dye from the 'top' then load it into the airbrush cup.

My vulcan vulcan

172 white star vulcan + some old Royal Blue, Navy blue, and cherry red Rit :D

Attachments

• DSC00988.jpg
    DSC00988.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 40
Dang those are some sweet dyes. Does Discraft's Ti plastic hold dye predictably? I really want to dye something on a green Ti stalker, but I noticed that the 'finish' varies from disc to disc and was unsure if either would take dye; some look like they have a clear coat over a cloudy surface (like a bowling ball) and others look glossy.

@DTP, you nailed it on the head. I let it settle and use a pipette to draw from the top. To give more detail: I put 2 ml of clear dish soap in a shot glass. I then sprinkle 1/8 tsp idye poly gradually while mixing with a chop stick, kinda like how a baker sifts flower in a mix to keep it from clumping. Once I have a smooth mix, I add 3 1/2 ml of acetone and stir well. I actually let it sit for about 10 min but I cover the shot glass to prevent the acetone from evaporating.

I played in a tournement with DTP yesterday and got to see the "wooden" disc first hand. It is truly a work of art. The photo doesn't really do it justice. It shines and glows just like a newly finished floor!

awesome, thanks for all the good info. bamboo skewer huh, I will have to try that. an airbrush! I thought I was the only 1. this is what I am currently working on. when I finally finish it I'll take a picture with a good camera, not my scratched up phone lens
IMAG0657_zps13eedccc.jpg

:popcorn: That looks amazing bigman.

Testing out prodigy plastic this morning, talk about a clear coat!
prodigyDSC_3628_zpsef1fe163.jpg

^^looks a little resistant to sc like opto? But you spin looks like it did well so I may have some stain glass fodder.

Btw, does anyone think the prodigy stamp is a little star trekky with both font and symbol?

I know this isn't EXACTLY the best place for this, but I know all of my dyeing companions and most of the customers I've had from DGCR check this thread, so I gotta let it out --

I'm engaged!

Proposed last night -- our first night in our new house in our new city(CHARLOTTE :D).

Not pining for compliments, just wanted to let the site and the people I know on here know. If we've met/played together in a tourney, you've probably met Nikki and know how lucky I am.

SOOOO, now that I'm an official Charlotte resident, ya'll BEST hit me up when you want to come down/up, plenty of room for at LEAST a car full of discers.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.