• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likewise. I dyed a disc for someone that found one of mine and called me. Seems the least I could do to show my appreciation for returning an irreplacable disc.
Unfortunately, it's very, very rare that I get a call back :(

My Glow Champ Firebird. Hoping to not lose this one for a while....I have a knack for losing Firebirds....

12331028175_3ba40bfa5a.jpg

after much not doing anything (and losing a go-to disc) i decided to break out one of the SPD's i'd been working on seasoning all through the summer. i didn't want to do anything intricate since it's already beaten up, so i did something quick and painless to get me back into the swing of things.

glad i took a practice round; i overheated it and it bled!

ecf01483-81b2-4a23-bdec-0898a7598a8d_zps78ed9c9d.jpg

i heated it up pretty badly, it felt super loose in the flight plate afterward. i stuck it in the freezer real quick, the flight plate is not sunken so hopefully it will be fine.

i've got its twin, freshly wiped and brand new, waiting on deck. soon i'll have a cycle of dyed white SPD's. :) it starts with a dull yellow on the right, then gets kinda green, then just blue. the picture is a little dull.

A couple discs for Qikly. Both z buzzzes.

14dggnp.jpg

2wgceoi.jpg

Eky hit these dyes out of the park. They were gifts for my brother, a big James Brown fan, and he loved them. I can't wait to see them in person when we take our trip to Selah Ranch this April.

If I ever get a custom dye for myself, E. will be the first person I ask!

Here are the first three dyes I did with the spin rig I just set up (there are some pics of that in the Nebula dye thread).

The first is a no stamp white Nuetron Shock. Used all the worm dye for that, except the black was iDye poly.

The second is a white Nuetron Resistor. Used all worm dye for the circles/peace sign, and 7 colors of idye for the background nebula dye (turqoise,lilac,red,orange,yellow,green,pink).

The third is clear Prodigy F2. The top is all iDye (yellow,orange,red) mixed with only laundry detergent (no acetone). Then I put a layer of purple worm dye (made by mixing blue and pink) on the back of the rim.

I'm addicted to spinning - so many possibilities....

Also, I finally figured out how to edit my profile and stuff, so I made an album of every dye I've done so far.

Attachments

• 0208142032.jpg
    0208142032.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 0209141340a.jpg
    0209141340a.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 150
  • 0209141908a.jpg
    0209141908a.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 120
GREAT dyes, roggen! Very unique, and each very different.

Post pics of your spinner set-up!

Here are the first three dyes I did with the spin rig I just set up (there are some pics of that in the Nebula dye thread).

The first is a no stamp white Nuetron Shock. Used all the worm dye for that, except the black was iDye poly.

The second is a white Nuetron Resistor. Used all worm dye for the circles/peace sign, and 7 colors of idye for the background nebula dye (turqoise,lilac,red,orange,yellow,green,pink).

The third is clear Prodigy F2. The top is all iDye (yellow,orange,red) mixed with only laundry detergent (no acetone). Then I put a layer of purple worm dye (made by mixing blue and pink) on the back of the rim.

I'm addicted to spinning - so many possibilities....

Also, I finally figured out how to edit my profile and stuff, so I made an album of every dye I've done so far.

I second that Roggen, That peace sign is dope! I kinda wanna make a copy cat dye of that for myself ;-) I have been planning out a few more neb/spin combos to try out. Just bought a new protractor and compass today from staples (man they are a rip off!). Gonna see what I can come up with.

Keep up the good work!

There are some more pics of my spinner in the Nebula Dye Tutorial thread, but here's one, along with my ping-pong table workshop, and the Medium Trak I just finished.

I apparently wasn't waiting long enough to wipe it off bc all the idye colors on the top smeared a bit - the white space inisde is just tinged orange, red and purple.

How long do you normally leave an idye / acetone mix afterwards? I was putting this in a low heat toaster over for like 20 minutes, then the fridge for 10 before rinsing it.

Attachments

• 0205141809a.jpg
    0205141809a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 0211140026a.jpg
    0211140026a.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 0211140018b.jpg
    0211140018b.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 142
Man I need to start dying discs again. I just need to go get some supplies. Its been a while. But there is nothing like cutting out a sweet design and the feeling that overcomes you when you peel of the vinyl to see what you have created. I miss that.....

Man I need to start dying discs again. I just need to go get some supplies. Its been a while. But there is nothing like cutting out a sweet design and the feeling that overcomes you when you peel of the vinyl to see what you have created. I miss that.....

same here. i need to go get a bunch of stuff again.

OMG WE MISSED A DAY!

Here's one I saw today on Facebook, not mine but I thought it was a well-done design and dye:

1797347_534439009987927_362395467_n.jpg

In case anyone was wondering if Prodiscus Basic plastic takes dye, this is a Basic Respecti. It works well enough that I am going to dye the rest of my Basic discs, but not as well as Star-type plastic.

Attachments

• 0213140740a.jpg
    0213140740a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 57
This is a medium Lace I just did as well. Very sloppy. I really need more patience :doh:. I did it all in one night when I should have been doing one set of dye, then waiting a day and doing another, and so on. It all bled together pretty badly, but it is proof of concept for this type of design.

So easy to take it further and more complex, which is what I am going to do with the soft trak or soft unlace that I just bought.

I'm struggling to get my discs exactly lined up as well - even being off by 1 mm sucks, because if you take it off, and put it back on the spinner for another set of dye, and are off by 1 mm again, but in the other direction, your mistakes are compounded. This is fine for fly dyes, but precise circles start to overlap really bad.

Attachments

• 0214142344.jpg
    0214142344.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.