• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple quick ones I did for a friend today. Nothing spectacular, but they tuned out nicely.

IMG_20150726_143251.jpg

IMG_20150726_143501.jpg

Last edited:
Did some stuff well. Did some other stuff not-so-well.

If I start going into detail I will end up with a massively huge post, so I will just say that overall I am happy with it. I wish I had a second chance at a lot of stuff, but that's how it goes.

I have about 25 pictures throughout the process - if people are interested I can post a full write up in a different thread. Let me know.

The pics below are (1) as far as the first mask took me, and (2) as far as the second mask took me. It was done with only the 1 remask.

picture.php
Amazing work. Great composition and use of color! Great work, definitely one of the coolest I've ever seen here. I'd definitely be interested in your own "making of" thread. Once again, well done.

Last edited:
DTP, your eyeball dyes are really nice. It's a little disturbing how real they look at first glance. Additionally, I want to say that the level of dyes in this thread just keep going up and up. It's really amazing how refined some of you guys have become.

So I haven't been on here in a while and what an awesome couple of last posts I must say...Great work Roggen and DTP! What an insane level of detail on that Aztec/space/time dye...Wish I had the patience to pull something like that off! Killer eyeball as well DTP! Love the greens in that iris.

Here's one I just did for my bag...a shot out to James Burton and Rydyes for a little extra inspiration to try something new (new technique for me anyways). Also thanks for the various tips you both shared with me.

resized_newFreedom_zps7johludz.jpg

It's no roggen dye, :D but I finally finished a long overdue dye on a GL Jade.
image_2.jpg

The GREEEENNNSS!! I need to know how you got all of those beautiful GREEEENNNNSSS! Emerald, jade, grass, spring, sea, hunter, kelly, how the HELL did you do this!

^Green with envy? :D Don't be Jaded :\ I'll share :hfive:
There really is no exact science and I'm not sure how well it would translate to dipping colors but with my acetone painting technique the secret ingredient is the non scented chartreuse spike it worm dye.
I started with a gradient from pupil outward (spin dye) of acetone with a little green Idye powder and a few drops of the spike it dye to get the warm yellow green 'background' which gets a little darker towards the outside of the iris. Next was basically the same mix but added a little more green powder to darken it some. After that I followed up with straight green powder and acetone for a few million tiny brushstrokes to start to build up the color. For the darkest shades I added a pinch of Idye blue powder to my green mix.
I was working with just a very small amount of dye mix at a time and found that I had to constantly add a few drops at a time of clear acetone to the mix to keep a consistent color as the 'paint' quickly evaporated while I was working.
Basically it's watercolor painting.....always adding and mixing and plenty of testing of the colors on a clean paper towel before committing the brush to the plastic.

^Green with envy? :D Don't be Jaded :\ I'll share :hfive:
There really is no exact science and I'm not sure how well it would translate to dipping colors but with my acetone painting technique the secret ingredient is the non scented chartreuse spike it worm dye.
I started with a gradient from pupil outward (spin dye) of acetone with a little green Idye powder and a few drops of the spike it dye to get the warm yellow green 'background' which gets a little darker towards the outside of the iris. Next was basically the same mix but added a little more green powder to darken it some. After that I followed up with straight green powder and acetone for a few million tiny brushstrokes to start to build up the color. For the darkest shades I added a pinch of Idye blue powder to my green mix.
I was working with just a very small amount of dye mix at a time and found that I had to constantly add a few drops at a time of clear acetone to the mix to keep a consistent color as the 'paint' quickly evaporated while I was working.
Basically it's watercolor painting.....always adding and mixing and plenty of testing of the colors on a clean paper towel before committing the brush to the plastic.

So great, and from THE dye paint master. Good to know how well the iDye green works, even if it's painting and not dipping, it WORKS!

Here's a few I've done recently.

Attachments

• IMAG3668.jpg
    IMAG3668.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG3672.jpg
    IMAG3672.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG3671.jpg
    IMAG3671.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 102
Status