• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks bud! Just noticed your from Michigan. I'm visiting there in a few weeks and have 4 days to wander the state and camp with no itinerary. Will be starting in Flint and headed North. Any great course suggestions? Was hoping to play the Grayling mountain course because ski mountains are always fun for disc.

Hanson Hills a terrific choice, Sean. Mt McSauba is another great ski hill course. Burchfield in Lansing area is a nice double course. Holly Woods is right outside Flint and is a solid choice. Disc Golf Scene is a very active site in Michigan. The comments sections are great for finding out what is going on at any specific course. The events section can give you some heads up on tournaments or leagues....you might want to join or avoid. "Up North" Michigan golf is some of the best in the country. Have a good time. Sweet dyes.

Depends on how far west you get. In Mt. Pleasant, Deerfield Park has a very nice pair of courses.

The state capitol, Lansing (dead center of the Lower Pennisula) has several very nice courses - Grand Woods Park, Birchfield, Fitzgerald. Lansing has some great offerings, but, can be a bit crowded.

However, the second best rated course on DGCR and in my opinion, the best course in the country (besides maybe Maple Hill) is Flip City. It's in the north west of the Lower Pennisula and is absolutely incredible! Well worth the visit if you're anywhere close. There is not enough that can be said about how great Flip is. Just amazing DG.

Personally, I'm in Grand Rapids and there are a couple great courses over here, but, if you're going from Flint north, GR is a hike. (about two hours straight west)

Hope you find some fun courses in this great state. Let me know if you need any more info or suggestions for more specific areas.

Cheers.

I haven't played the Grayling courses, though I've heard great things. Usually when I'm driving through Grayling 3-4 times a year, I'm headed much further north and don't want to add 2 hours to an already 10-11 hour drive. Post a review if you hit that area up!

If you do, my favorite course in the state is only about an hour and a half north of there, just across the beautiful and breathtaking Mackinaw Bridge. Silver Mountain is a great ski hill course with awesome elevation change boasting a 800' hole (marked at 600 - look back 200' and find the "Super 9" dirt pad) with about a 200' drop. Epic hole! There's also three holes on the back nine on a gorgeous bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Some of the most stunning holes I've ever played for the views. Damn.

Wow great info Reniger! Thanks! Sounds like Flip City for the win. On-site camping and its on my way to the west coast. If I make it up to the upper peninsula I'll check out Silver Mountain which also sounds amazing. I'll definitely post a review of any place I go as well.

DGCR needs an "upvote" button already! ;)

Cheers, Sean. Have a great vacation! PM me if you're in the Lansing/Grand Rapids area at all. I'll hit you up for a round!

Great work everyone. Love the originality on all of those.

Here's my latest. My buddy loves having his dyes play off the name of the disc. Here's his latitude 64 vision that was an absolute nightmare to weed.

TOTALLY SICK! Definitely a contender for Dye of the Year! Please nominate it when the time comes!

My latest dye on an Icon Rival to show some love for the guys over at SmashBoxx TV :thmbup:!

This is my fourth dye and I learned some more things this time. This was to be a thrower for my bag from the start but there were a few things I am not happy with :(.

Stamp removal: This stamp ink ran like the wind when the acetone got near it. This removal was almost a disaster as you can see the dulling marks from the clean up. I guess I need to try to find blanks to dye from now on.

Blue I Dye: Man this stuff is blue and takes QUICK! The first dip was 3 minutes, wash off and 30 more seconds back in and out. The blue is darker in person ( too dark really ) than the photos, next time I want a medium blue it will be dipped at 30 second intervals.

Thanks to Bennett for the awesome vinyl cuts, that is the most "Pro" part of my dyes :D.

Time to, "Step inside the Smashboxx!"

Happy to help, I think it turned out great! Color is sharp, no bleeds, looks sick with that Icon shine! You've done well, young padawan
jedi_fight_by_keynant.gif

Probably getting time for Part III of this thread. Keep up the great work fellas!

Finally got my spin setup going... First attempt;
XdnLGjx.jpg

156g DD Breakout (with a bitchin' shatter stamp) for the girl. Won from the great guys at Noodle Arm Disc Golf!

Champ boss I did tonight, playing a new course tomorrow and I gotta dye it for good luck. Graphic is off of a metal mulisha shirt ive had for a long time.

Attachments

• IMAG1964_20150821233730467.jpg
    IMAG1964_20150821233730467.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 81
Nice job Reniger and Flesh. Did the mulisha dye bring you enough luck for that new course?

Here's a few more I finished. A fuse on a latitude fuse. An easy mario bomb on a hyzer bomb midrange. The last one isa bolt on a latitude bolt ...Probably the worst execution on a dye I've ever done. Used the silver-grey idye poly for the first time and made a huge mistake by not watching it closely. That color took to the disc extremely fast and once I pulled it it was way too late and ended up with this purple-blackish color. Live and learn I guess.

Attachments

• IMAG3711.jpg
    IMAG3711.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG3704.jpg
    IMAG3704.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG3712.jpg
    IMAG3712.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 78
Very clean dyes! Disc has been great, been a big boss fan since I got it. Hit the basket on hole 3 at the new course with it and got me a quick birdie. Been my go to since.

A couple I did over the weekend. Really loving the worm dye just wish they had pink in stock when I ordered. They look real cool under black light too :)

20225006403_4924f53cc2.jpg

20845990825_8955511ca8.jpg

20836422242_e1352f69ab.jpg

My latest. My second two color that I am VERY proud of!!!
2pnKhAD.jpg

Cheers for advice and critique of my first two color stencil dye.

Prodigy X-Out F2 with iDye Poly Black (painted w/ Acetone - 3 coats for 30 seconds and washed) and Kelly Green mixed with Gun Metal (2 coats mixed w/ Acetone for ~30 seconds)

Cheers.

Thank you.

My latest. My second two color that I am VERY proud of!!!
2pnKhAD.jpg

Cheers for advice and critique of my first two color stencil dye.

Prodigy X-Out F2 with iDye Poly Black (painted w/ Acetone - 3 coats for 30 seconds and washed) and Kelly Green mixed with Gun Metal (2 coats mixed w/ Acetone for ~30 seconds)

Cheers.

Thank you.

I like that reniger. Did you use a vinyl stencil? I've always been afraid to use acetone on a stencil thinking it would eat through the adhesive and cause bleeds.

DD, yes, I used Cricut vinyl to cut the stencil (can be fed straight through my printer, so I don't have to worry about setting up my lightbox) and painted acetone-diluted iDye Poly on for both stencils. Should have given the green a few more layers and made sure to paint it on more evenly, but, I was getting too excited and impatient. :D

The girlfriend and I have done a few stencils this way now and the only bleeds we've had was from some over-cuts on my gal's first stencil.

Status
Not open for further replies.