• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Hype Machine: Biggest Mold Release Flops

I like Salient but the Prometheus was an overhyped misstep, the Missilin, Dominator, Deadalus, and Foxbat come to mind too.

As overhyped as the Prometheus was, their next releases the Backdraft/Vein/Touch were not hyped much and are all greatly overlooked discs.

I also like the TL3 but I don't really like g* so I dong have one. We're it in normal star if probably have a couple. I also feel like the Procul got a lot of hype for a rough disc. Maybe when it's your first mold it's easy to do that.

Luckily your first mold is very good, so you won't get hammered for it.

As for the Atlas and Nova, they may fly nice, like a ton of other discs, but they look like crap and the materials/construction of the overmold are sad.

Looks are subjective so whatever, but how are the materials crap? A firm but tacky flightplate that everyone ive seen handle in person has said they really like it? Or the rubberized rim that hits and sticks or grabs chains better than anything that doesn't roll up like a camping frisbee? Or the way they're physically and chemically bonded together? I've got tons of accidental tree hits plus a few dozen intentional ones with my most "broken in" Nova(they really don't break in, that one still flies just like my other ones). Its not showing the slightest signs of seperating anywhere.

QK and QK2 (already mentioned) for those of us on the online disc world were kings of overhype. The discs weren't bad, but the plastic was.
The Spectra from discraft was pretty bad, and only available in supercolor.

RE: the T3 I think it was overshadowed by the release of the thunderbird since they are similar role discs even if they are a little different.

That could be another thread, good discs overshadowed by similar releases under the same brand...

Looks are subjective so whatever, but how are the materials crap? A firm but tacky flightplate that everyone ive seen handle in person has said they really like it? Or the rubberized rim that hits and sticks or grabs chains better than anything that doesn't roll up like a camping frisbee? Or the way they're physically and chemically bonded together? I've got tons of accidental tree hits plus a few dozen intentional ones with my most "broken in" Nova(they really don't break in, that one still flies just like my other ones). Its not showing the slightest signs of seperating anywhere.

Just let the fanboy be

If you like them, fine. Lots of people don't. First time I saw one on the shelf and handled it, I thought what the hell is this?

I'll be happy to take any leftover foxbats you guys have :D I loved that disc, but it wasn't well received at all. It did live up to the "longer Aero" hype, just the shape was a little off. Great disc though.

I heard the Daedalus is already deadalus.

/rant/
Would be a bummer if that one didn't stick around. I think there's a stupid stigma against high speed understable discs because they aren't "macho" enough. People would rather hunt and hunt for the perfect low plh domey destroyer or boss that "totally bombs, brah" rather than just buy a "girly" disc(katana, daedalus, vulcan, etc).

I could prove how stupid this is by posting blind side by side profile pics of lower plh boss or destroyer or xcal vs daedalus or katana or vulcan. I guarantee people wouldn't be able to consistently guess which is which.
/end rant/

Last edited:
I will guess them, 100% correctly every time. better get uploading. :|

I will guess them, 100% correctly every time. better get uploading. :|

I've got some plastic coming in tomorrow then I will. Have to make sure I have enough of each mold to keep it challenging. And I have to look at the shoulders a little closer to avoid any obvious pairings. You might be able to guess some of them but I bet you get at least one pair wrong.

the nova is just an aviar P&A with an overmold. really thats all it is. once you get over the weird look of it (because they put those weird notches in the overmold) and throw it like a totally neutral stiff aviar you'll get similar results.

the local 1000+ rated player here is actually throwing the atlas because he was sick of cycling rocs and before being sponsored threw a mixed bag with his mid ranges consisting mostly of buzzz's so he was always on a quest to find a buzzz replacement from innova, apparently the atlas is pretty much it.

I think that the V-Roc3 could be a flop because the majority of people who bought the damn disc probably aren't even throwing them . I know I didn't [before I sold it]. Its literally an all hype disc as of right now and its not cost effective to even throw the disc and regular production runs don't look like they're coming soon. its overlap city too with how it flies... like more stable mako... so its a beaten in roc3 or seasoned KC pro roc in champ plastic, or a super beat in Ranch Roc?

I've got some plastic coming in tomorrow then I will. Have to make sure I have enough of each mold to keep it challenging. And I have to look at the shoulders a little closer to avoid any obvious pairings. You might be able to guess some of them but I bet you get at least one pair wrong.

Now or never

sleeves.png

Latest posts