• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Hype Machine: Biggest Mold Release Flops

/rant/
Would be a bummer if that one didn't stick around. I think there's a stupid stigma against high speed understable discs because they aren't "macho" enough. People would rather hunt and hunt for the perfect low plh domey destroyer or boss that "totally bombs, brah" rather than just buy a "girly" disc(katana, daedalus, vulcan, etc).

I could prove how stupid this is by posting blind side by side profile pics of lower plh boss or destroyer or xcal vs daedalus or katana or vulcan. I guarantee people wouldn't be able to consistently guess which is which.
/end rant/

Whoa, PLH isn't the only thing. And the Vulcan would be a dead giveaway in your "blind side by side" test. Do u know why?

Looks are subjective so whatever, but how are the materials crap? A firm but tacky flightplate that everyone ive seen handle in person has said they really like it? Or the rubberized rim that hits and sticks or grabs chains better than anything that doesn't roll up like a camping frisbee? Or the way they're physically and chemically bonded together? I've got tons of accidental tree hits plus a few dozen intentional ones with my most "broken in" Nova(they really don't break in, that one still flies just like my other ones). Its not showing the slightest signs of seperating anywhere.

They beat in. My friend has a Nova he uses exclusively for turnover shots because that's all it wants to do now. I've tried it out...it's not his form.

They have a nice flight when they're new, lots of glide. I couldn't get the consistency I could from a regular Aviar though. Something about the overmold on the Nova made it always want to stick to my hand on release. No issues with the Atlas or any other overmolded disc though.

biggest flop? I'll say the striker. that disc put dgr on its head but but lat's early difficulties with molding consistency gave us need to study PLH. I have a fr glass clear opto that is money but it's glass clear. I haven't really found a suitable replacement.

Blue was their only non-camo color. I had one blue Striker that I loved, and that was it. It was a truly wonderful disc though. Mine lost a lot of HSS as it seasoned. Had the same issue looking for backups.

That problem didn't exist back then for PDs so I bagged them instead. I remember ordering from Marshall St because everyone was raving over the shield stamps, and getting upset because they kept sending me FRs. :doh:

.... go crazy?

Dont mind if I do:

slmb9j.jpg

Whoa, PLH isn't the only thing. And the Vulcan would be a dead giveaway in your "blind side by side" test. Do u know why?

If you're going to say the hard shoulder, than I've got an xcal, a "destrulcan", and a cfr boss i'd love to sell you. (Not really though, that boss is my money disc for hard dog legs and big flare skips)

They beat in. My friend has a Nova he uses exclusively for turnover shots because that's all it wants to do now. I've tried it out...it's not his form.

They have a nice flight when they're new, lots of glide. I couldn't get the consistency I could from a regular Aviar though. Something about the overmold on the Nova made it always want to stick to my hand on release. No issues with the Atlas or any other overmolded disc though.

That's good to know, I'll just have to keep working the one I want to flip. I had that same problem with release consistency inside the circle so I don't use it as a putting putter, but it hasn't been a problem as long as I'm giving it a little more oomph.

tbird I had a blue opto that was firebird stable. go figure.

As much as I defended this disc when I first got mine I concur with everything stated. I never could get a clean release from it. As a pure putter it is great. But anything else, it is not that great of a disc. Yeah McBeast is good with them, but I ain't him. There are to many better discs for my game than this.

/rant/
Would be a bummer if that one didn't stick around. I think there's a stupid stigma against high speed understable discs because they aren't "macho" enough. People would rather hunt and hunt for the perfect low plh domey destroyer or boss that "totally bombs, brah" rather than just buy a "girly" disc(katana, daedalus, vulcan, etc).

I could prove how stupid this is by posting blind side by side profile pics of lower plh boss or destroyer or xcal vs daedalus or katana or vulcan. I guarantee people wouldn't be able to consistently guess which is which.
/end rant/

Pardon the long reply, your response got me thinking on several tangents.

I think this is only the perception of sensitive players with enough experience to know the purpose of well advertised molds, but not experienced enough to know they could throw their mids as far as their Bosses with proper form.

Experienced players use what works regardless of how that may be perceived and would think nothing of someone properly matching a Mamba to their form vs someone putting 20 degrees of anny on a Nuke to hit 300'.

This leads back to Hype campaigns by Innova and DC consequently during their driver speed wars from the '90s up 'til speed 13. Every new driver was ridiculously hyped as the next longest disc. Even the classifications on discs much earlier would tout 'ultra long range driver' until they ran out of superlatives to preface as the speeds increased and finally settled 'distance driver'. The fact is, the potential to throw high speed discs for max distance is 100% dependent on form - which nobody is born with. Drivers take skill to use effectively, anyone would learn more about proper form by throwing a putter to start with. IMHO, super understable speed 13s only encourage people to lock in bad form for a few feet of extra distance. That said, I have a star Vulcan which has more HSS than a Pro Destroyer which helps no one figure out what works for them...

Disc fails

The past few years haven't been kind to Innova as far as releasing redundant and or turd molds.

Groove: As has been discussed, it's an epic turd. No glide and it just won't fly.

Daedalus: I'm not going to call this a total turd, but for me the Vulcan is a far, far better flier.

G Star plastic: It isn't very good. It's too floppy and doesn't glide as well as Champion or regular Star. I think the Daedalus could be good in Champion.

Dominator: Thoroughly redundant and useless. Worse than a Boss. Surprisingly glideless.

Star Katana: I've never thrown one of these I liked. They don't glide and they fade too much. The Vulcan is SUCH a better disc that does the same thing. I have thrown a Champion Katana I loved though. Better glide, less hard fade.

Blizzard plastic: Absolutely terrible. It has a rough texture, wears quickly and is all over the place in terms of stability. These discs feel like molded styrofoam or something. Anyone who throws these on the course is doing themselves a disservice.

I agree on the Quarter K too. One of the worst discs I've ever seen. IMO Discraft does a better job of releasing discs than Innova. They don't release as many and the ones they do are better molds overall. All Innova seems to be into these days are releasing kitschy, collector discs that really have no point other than that people will drop several times what the disc is worth.

If you're going to say the hard shoulder, than I've got an xcal, a "destrulcan", and a cfr boss i'd love to sell you. (Not really though, that boss is my money disc for hard dog legs and big flare skips)

Yup, that was it, the unique wing(shoulder).

While it's not a disc that I ever want to throw, I can't agree that the Groove is a flop. To me, a flop would be a disc that nobody wants and judging by the number of Grooves I've seen the noobs use, that disc continues to sell well.

^Yep. The Groove is like the anti-flop. It's the butt of jokes, yet outsells many other "popular" drivers.

biggest flop? I'll say the striker. that disc put dgr on its head but but lat's early difficulties with molding consistency gave us need to study PLH. I have a fr glass clear opto that is money but it's glass clear. I haven't really found a suitable replacement.

Man oh man did I love the Striker I pulled out of the used bin at PIAS. It was pretty much brand new and not terribly long after the release date too. It was in Opto plastic, and my buddy had one in Tournament. I would swear to this day they were different discs. It is a shame though, they felt great.

The thing I don't get about the groove is why it still exists. The whole point of the grooved bottom wing was to carve out volume so they could make a speed 13 as light as 155g. So when they came out with blizzard tech and they could make any mold all the way down to the 130s(granted, blizzard sucks below 150 with that weird texture and crap durability, but still), that makes the groove's entire raison d'etre obsolete. Then they come out with gstar, which has a low enough base density that they can get other speed 12/13 discs down into the 150s without using any air bubbles at all, making it doubly obsolete. Seems like at this point they should discontinue it on principle, as a kindness to all the current and future unsuspecting noobs.

Because every frat brah and Phish reject burnout hippie swears by the Groove as a "great sidearm disc" because it can handle their superhuman strength. :|:|:|

I picked up a groove in the store at sports authority once just to see what the joke was all about and I can't think of a worse forehand disc. The edge of the rim gouged the base knuckle of my index finger painfully if I gave it even a little squeeze.