• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Hype Machine: Biggest Mold Release Flops

For me the biggest hype fail was the cyclone 2

People don't realize this but the cyclone had probably the most dominant market share of any disc ever. When it came out it was the best driver period. Everyone had one in their bag.

Cyclone 2 came out riding the cyclone reputation but completely sucked. Then the xclone came out and it was what everyone was hoping for. I don't know anyone that threw a cyclone 2 after the xclone came out

People don't realize this but the cyclone had probably the most dominant market share of any disc ever. When it came out it was the best driver period. Everyone had one in their bag.

Any disc? Ever? Where's Three Putt to verify this.

(Not that I don't believe you, and I know the 'clone was THE disc back in the day. I just like it when Uncle Three Putt tells us stories. :D )

The thing I don't get about the groove is why it still exists. The whole point of the grooved bottom wing was to carve out volume so they could make a speed 13 as light as 155g. So when they came out with blizzard tech and they could make any mold all the way down to the 130s(granted, blizzard sucks below 150 with that weird texture and crap durability, but still), that makes the groove's entire raison d'etre obsolete. Then they come out with gstar, which has a low enough base density that they can get other speed 12/13 discs down into the 150s without using any air bubbles at all, making it doubly obsolete. Seems like at this point they should discontinue it on principle, as a kindness to all the current and future unsuspecting noobs.

My understanding of the concept of the Groove wasn't so much pertaining to weight, but rim width. As discs were reaching the limits of what would be PDGA legal, people were wondering what could possibly be next in terms of innovation in design. Innova came out with the Groove--I'm sure that on some theoretical aeronautics model, the groove would add to lift or something, but as we can see, it didn't play out. Probably the same sort of thinking behind the Epic, with similar results. That being said, I remember having pretty decent success with a Monarch for a while years ago, so the theory might not be completely off base.

(Not that I don't believe you, and I know the 'clone was THE disc back in the day. I just like it when Uncle Three Putt tells us stories. :D )

I did say probably :)

Actually it would be some whamo mold before discs were a thing.

IIRC, the Cyclone pretty much kept Discraft in the DG business. Considering it was a time when companies and molds were limited, I find it plausible that it was the best selling disc of that era.

I bagged a star skeeter for a few weeks when they were relatively new, what a piece of junk. There are lots of crap discs out there that I've had the pleasure of trying, but the Skeeter tops my list.

Honorable Mention List
The Antidote
Nuke SS
D5 air: this one was the most weird because it requires a lot of speed to stay aloft, which actually makes this understable distance driver less beginner/noodle arm friendly.

I've heard the same thing from the older folks around me. Cyclone was "the one".

I was young, but I was playing when the Cyclone was the man. And it's not too far off base to say it had the most dominate market share of any disc ever. That statement is referring to how little discs were actually out at the time. There were Cyclone's everywhere.

Not going to lie. If I see that Three Putt has posted in a thread I will read it just for the chance at a history lesson even if I have no interest in the disc or topic being discussed.

(Does that sound like internet stalking to anyone else? After reading what I typed it sounds a little stalkerish to me. Sorry Three Putt) :)

My understanding of the concept of the Groove wasn't so much pertaining to weight, but rim width. As discs were reaching the limits of what would be PDGA legal, people were wondering what could possibly be next in terms of innovation in design. Innova came out with the Groove--I'm sure that on some theoretical aeronautics model, the groove would add to lift or something, but as we can see, it didn't play out. Probably the same sort of thinking behind the Epic, with similar results. That being said, I remember having pretty decent success with a Monarch for a while years ago, so the theory might not be completely off base.

Direct from the innova website:
"The Groove features an innovative groove on the underside of the rim. This channel allows this speed 13 driver to be molded in lighter weights than our other wide rim high speed drivers."

Don't know chronology cuz I wasn't throwing my discs at stationary targets yet, but I'm assuming the groove came out before blizzard did.

What you're describing sounds like what the kastaplast guys are doing with the rask, although it's about reducing drag rather than creating more lift.
I have the warp speed meathook slot plenty covered, but I'm looking forward to trying a lower plh version whenever they come out with one.

Not going to lie. If I see that Three Putt has posted in a thread I will read it just for the chance at a history lesson even if I have no interest in the disc or topic being discussed.

(Does that sound like internet stalking to anyone else? After reading what I typed it sounds a little stalkerish to me. Sorry Three Putt) :)

I've told him straight up that I have a man-crush on him. I feel the same way you do about him.

(Ok, THAT was awkward)

Or as Streets says:

images

I've told him straight up that I have a man-crush on him. I feel the same way you do about him.

(Ok, THAT was awkward)

Or as Streets says:

images

That's awesome. I needed a good laugh as I am stuck at work doing audit paperwork. Nothing better than being the only one in on a Sunday.

Latest posts