• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Hype Machine: Biggest Mold Release Flops

Coming in third place for me would the the MVP Shock. It seems to me like it was quickly overshadowed by the Resistor and later by the Motion, and the re-tweaking of the Volt to make it more stable. It's the only MVP disc I've ever thrown that I cannot see putting back in my bag under any circumstances (although I did trade away my Switch and Servo after buying an Inspire).

This would be number 2 for me. Have they changed the game yet?

Bingo. Not only was the disc not anything close to what was promised, but the owner of the company showed his true colors and alienated a group of customers permanently.

Honest question, was the Groove hyped up? By the time I got back into disc golf the Groove was already a punchline.
Oh yeah, Groove is the epitome of this thread for me. I still remember the full page ad in that disc golf magazine that went under. It was going to revolutionize distance for noodle arms. Then it came out and no two were the same and none of them were particularly great.

A strange looking, speed 13 disc with a god awful premolded gash... sounds perfect for noodle arms :D

A strange looking, speed 13 disc with a god awful premolded gash... sounds perfect for noodle arms :D

And yet... the "longest disc in my bag" as a first year player was a Groove. They got me hook, line & sinker. That was until "my arm was too much" for my Groove and D Nuke so naturally I graduated to the NukeOS..

Oh yeah, Groove is the epitome of this thread for me. I still remember the full page ad in that disc golf magazine that went under. It was going to revolutionize distance for noodle arms. Then it came out and no two were the same and none of them were particularly great.

So you're saying I shouldn't review the Groove on my site? ;)

Not a disc, but Hucker Magazine. Big flop.

Prometheus tops the list for me. But the Dominator would be #2 for sure

LMAO, I'd LOVE to see that ad!

And yet... the "longest disc in my bag" as a first year player was a Groove. They got me hook, line & sinker. That was until "my arm was too much" for my Groove and D Nuke so naturally I graduated to the NukeOS..
The old you sounds like one of the guys I occasionally play a round with. Although in fairness, his Nuke legitimately is the longest disc in his "bag", if only because the others are an Ape and a XXX, so there is that...

Hahaha, nice.

Anyway, yeah I live in Grand Rapids... it certainly has its 'Ups and downs' but I am starting to gravitate toward something with more consistently warm weather, so I can get more discing in, on top of other stuff.

I'm thinking one of the Carolinas sounds good.

Hahaha, nice.

Anyway, yeah I live in Grand Rapids... it certainly has its 'Ups and downs' but I am starting to gravitate toward something with more consistently warm weather, so I can get more discing in, on top of other stuff.

I'm thinking one of the Carolinas sounds good.

Yeah, here in Charlotte we're in the grips of a "cold snap," but the high tomorrow is 54. :hfive:

Yep! I use mine quite a bit and whenever I'm ina group people always ask about it, but most people who throw it usually respond with "I like the Drone better." Its the same rim, I just prefer the Buzzz OS top. But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else bag one, and there's a fair amount of Discraft fans, especially the mids, around these parts.

I bagged one this winter but its just to replace my beat in Wasp by next summer.

I'd say the Buzzz OS...they probably sold a bunch, but when people realized they were Drone bricks, the market was flooded with them.

Maybe not mold, but Blizzard plastic kinda fizzled out much quicker than the initial hype would have suggested.

Blizzard was made for noobs like myself who were trying to get distance from the get go. However, as I played more rounds with different players, I soon realized that I should stick to Speed 6/7 Drivers, slightly understable to slightly overstable and improve my mechanics and pull thru.

I do occasionally break them out, but not often. I feel that blizzard discs become flippy way too soon and not because of their light weight.

The Groove was pretty big hype in my parts at the time. My whole playing group thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever. nope.

I'm noticing a trend that very FEW unconventional designs can break through nowadays.

Well... yeah. But I think that is because the unconventional designs don't usually DO anything different. Now if someone with a physics/engineering background could come up with something that actually changed the way discs behave in a significant way it might be a different story.

The T3 discussion is on point, ok its slightly different then a teebird, big deal. Its not different enough to really stand out against a disc a lot of people have been bagging forever.

Actually, I really think innova suffers from the above problem with a lot of their new releases. They've done basically everything at this point, so its hard to make much of splash in their lineup. That's a problem the newer companies don't have.

What are some other molds that were incredibly hyped up but seemed to just kind fall flat or not remain "In the Bag" of the masses?

I remember the Ape being super duper hyped; at least, it was the first time I was very much made aware of a new disc release.

I think I saw one once and that was pretty much it, although I certainly don't have my pulse to the current discs of choice.

Innova plus, 3, and hokey attempt at overmold with the toysrus rivets.

Idk, the roc3 seems pretty popular round these parts, tl3 too. And just because some people can't appreciate the look of the nova doesn't mean that it's not still a great disc with unique characteristics that the best player in the world throws multiple times per round. It may take time to overcome the anti-innovermold bias, but that disc and the atlas will be around for a long time and have plenty of fans before all is said and done

did I just read that an Ohioan would rather live in Michigan? the world has really gotten weird.

biggest flop? I'll say the striker. that disc put dgr on its head but but lat's early difficulties with molding consistency gave us need to study PLH. I have a fr glass clear opto that is money but it's glass clear. I haven't really found a suitable replacement.

Idk, the roc3 seems pretty popular round these parts, tl3 too. And just because some people can't appreciate the look of the nova doesn't mean that it's not still a great disc with unique characteristics that the best player in the world throws multiple times per round. It may take time to overcome the anti-innovermold bias, but that disc and the atlas will be around for a long time and have plenty of fans before all is said and done

Roc3 is an alright disc, but how many Teebird variants do you need??? What's it up to now? Teebird, Teebird+, Teebird3, TL, TL+, TL3, Thunderbird? As for the Atlas and Nova, they may fly nice, like a ton of other discs, but they look like crap and the materials/construction of the overmold are sad.

Latest posts