• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I'd love to sign one tonight if that's a possibility, but it has to be a win win for both sides.

I would love to see this. If adidas spends actual dollars on a disc golfer they will have no choice but to get involved more. I think it would be great. Paul shouldn't just have to get free gear with his deal.
I have been a huge adidas fan since I was a teen. The outdoor line of adidas shoes are by far the best looking DG shoes on the market.

Good luck with striking a win/win deal for you and the sport!

I never said anything about hanging out with them, nor did I say I was Pro-Cat.

Besides that I still think PP is a skilled player, it's just my opinion that she handled this whole deal with no class.

Some people have been pointing to Prodigy's choice to send Cat rather than PP as one of the catalysts for her leaving, and that it was justification of such.

My point is that it was Prodigy management's choice between two great players and they went with Cat, she's just as good or (maybe) even better.

Paige should have realized that and come to terms with it.

That goes back to my point, that if she wasn't happy with that choice and then decided to no longer be a good spokesperson for the team that went out of their way to recruit and support her, then it's my OPINION that she handled it all wrong.

I realize some of you don't care and think I'm dumb, but oh well.

Try pulling something similar at your job, when they send Bob to the conference instead of you and see if you still have a job.

Not that TAFL didn't cover the points, but... Nope, don't think you're dumb. I find your posts insiteful, even when I disagree. Again, meager info on PP and Prod. People do what PP does all the time. They walk out if they don't get what they feel they are owed. I've seen it dozens of times personally. I don't know the terms of the contract, but hardball negotiations, even with a contract, most typically come on the corporate side, not the employee side. One could appreciate the notion that PP stuck it to the man. :D

Soft Journalism

I'm not sure it's my job on SmashBoxxTV's weekly podcast to "ask tough questions" because frankly, we're not there to put the player's in those positions on a pretty light-hearted show and setting such as that. I'm not saying we never put anyone or any company on blast from time to time but it's certainly not a primary objective or goal.

I know most of the reasons as to why Paige is 'disappointed' as YOU put it. However, that's not something that needs to be public nor is it really any of our business. More so, even if it was our business and I did ask her about it, do you think she should share it? Should she come onto our show and rip into the company that contracted her for the past few years? She could and maybe she will someday but even then what might that accomplish?

Everyone always wants to know more and get the inside scoop and all of the details and I fully understand that. However, just because she had her reasons doesn't mean I need to ask about them or that she needs to share them. It's clearly been a very challenging subject for her for more than a year now and if I knew she wanted to talk about it in depth, I would have asked her just that.

If respecting our players for reasons not everyone understands is bad journalism or perhaps 'soft' then I guess I'm guilty.

- We all know it's tough to respond here without trying to sound defensive and I appreciate the feedback. I just don't believe our weekly podcast is the time or place for 'gotcha' or interrogating questions.

- And finally - no where do I claim to be a journalist. ;)

This is why I wish Terry had the journalistic integrity to ask tough questions like "Please explain why you were dissapointed with Prodigy" I mean she was literally trash talking Prodigy in the interview, although in a kind of veiled way, but it was obvious. Why Terry doesn't ask a simple question like that is very annoying.

Boohoo, imagine if she had to live in the real world.

If Prodigy didn't pay a bonus and it was in her contract, then she could have legally broken said contract.

I would be willing to bet they had a clause in their contracts (after having a full line up) saying she had to throw Prodigy during sanctioned play.

The more I hear about her situation, the more I think she acted like a spoiled child.

Good thing she had her buddy Emac to score her a spot with DD.

Hopefully they don't sign an up and coming female pro who eventually gets better than her.

Jeez. Show us on the doll where Paige hurt you.

I'm not sure it's my job on SmashBoxxTV's weekly podcast to "ask tough questions" because frankly, we're not there to put the player's in those positions on a pretty light-hearted show and setting such as that. I'm not saying we never put anyone or any company on blast from time to time but it's certainly not a primary objective or goal.

I know most of the reasons as to why Paige is 'disappointed' as YOU put it. However, that's not something that needs to be public nor is it really any of our business. More so, even if it was our business and I did ask her about it, do you think she should share it? Should she come onto our show and rip into the company that contracted her for the past few years? She could and maybe she will someday but even then what might that accomplish?

Everyone always wants to know more and get the inside scoop and all of the details and I fully understand that. However, just because she had her reasons doesn't mean I need to ask about them or that she needs to share them. It's clearly been a very challenging subject for her for more than a year now and if I knew she wanted to talk about it in depth, I would have asked her just that.

If respecting our players for reasons not everyone understands is bad journalism or perhaps 'soft' then I guess I'm guilty.

- We all know it's tough to respond here without trying to sound defensive and I appreciate the feedback. I just don't believe our weekly podcast is the time or place for 'gotcha' or interrogating questions.

At some point we need to take a harder think about what Terry does. While he is saying he doesn't do hard journalism, he's actually wrong. Good journalists used to balance the need to know, the issue at hand and the subjects involved. Now, they just go for sensationalism or what the big money wants. Gotcha journalism is lazy journalism.

Go relisten to Terry's interview with Steve Dodge from a couple of months ago. It was actually a tough interview with some hard questions. Terry and John did a great job, didn't offend Steve, and covered ground no one else had.

You don't always get, or need to get, all the story. In the interview with PP, I'm not done watching, you got that it messed with her game all last year. You got the interaction with Cam Todd (a great story) and you got a great deal of info about what she's doing. That's damned good and respectful journalism. Yeah, Terry and John didn't ask her, "so, how bad did you/Prodigy screw Prodigy/you." Welcome to the world of its none o your business. I really mean that, PP isn't a politician, she isn't a criminal and neither is Prodigy. Neither is speaking and probably for their own personal reasons. I can respect that.

Thanks for posting this, mmblink.

What a sweet interview. Awesome job to Ian and the gang, but really most of the credit goes to Jerm, who made it so worthwhile. :thmbup:

Last edited:

I agree with some of your points, however the point being, "If I asked her should she or would she even answer" is irrelevant. If she says "I decline to answer" that is fine. But it could also break tension and allow her to really open up.

Terry,
I respect what you do for DG and the sacrifices that you must be making to be as involved as you are.
No lack of respect here.
However, you are in a place that few of us are able to be. That is, living the dream, covering DG, talking to the Pros and covering hot stories and developing news. It may not be journalism to you, but it feels/seems like that to us.
I understand that you don't want to antagonize your friends (the aforementioned Pros), but we expect you to ask the questions we would ask, the ones we want you to ask. If you ask them that question and they say "No comment", "I'll take the fifth amendment" or even "I'd rather not say" - that's not under your control.
I hope nobody on DGCR wants you to get antagonistic, BUT AT LEAST ASK THEM THE QUESTION.
It seems like most of us on here expect to at least ask the question, even if you are not going to get an answer...

If Terry wanted to appease the disc golf community regarding situations like this, he could simply ask on-air "would you like to discuss the circumstances that led up to your decision to..." -- then it's put in a respectful way that allows the interviewee an easy out, but at the same time gives them the opportunity to "clear the air" if they so choose.

Or he asks them well before they are on the air and they tell him they dont want to talk about it.

God, disc golfers can be so entitled sometimes. Let it go.

I would love to see this. If adidas spends actual dollars on a disc golfer they will have no choice but to get involved more. I think it would be great. Paul shouldn't just have to get free gear with his deal.
I have been a huge adidas fan since I was a teen. The outdoor line of adidas shoes are by far the best looking DG shoes on the market.

Good luck with striking a win/win deal for you and the sport!

The most likely scenario is an overall Innova sponsorship contract from Adidas Outdoor products. Paul was a great model for the initial brand development in the sport, which is evidently seen by massive Adidas dress emulation by Pro & Am alike.

His move (and Innova's) to divest a 'personal gear agreement' probably will lead to the above.

Last edited:
Or he asks them well before they are on the air and they tell him they dont want to talk about it.

God, disc golfers can be so entitled sometimes. Let it go.

It's not disc golfers, it's people per say. Our notions of boundaries and privacy have changed significantly since the introduction of the Internet. The problem is that while you might want to share your intimate details, your privilege, that doesn't mean everyone wants to or that you have a right simply because you think it's okay. Even more, I've noticed that while people share things they used to keep private, they are always more willing to share someone else's privacy than their own.

Watch the podcast we just did with him :)

Did he imply the thunderbird may be his tour series disc? "may be some other thunderbirds shortly, but not right now".As much as I would have liked to see something "different" (champ whippet anyone?) this makes sense for what will sell to the masses.

Last edited:
Wait, you think .06 rating points is a statistically significant difference? We all get it, you're pro Cat anti PP. You don't need to find any more talking points.

Not only is the rating difference practically non-existent, when Terry interviewed Paige this week, she told him that her head wasn't in the game in 2016 for whatever reasons. That was visibly evident. If she was having personal issues, her sponsorship was an added stress, or her head just wasn't in the game, obviously she wouldn't be at the top of her game. So, a 6 point difference from Cat is minimal. When Paige is on, she is unquestionably the best woman in the sport. Hell, better that the vast majority of the MPO. Cat was able to stay in the middle of the pack for 1 division DGWT events, I would wager some coin that Paige would be in the top 20.

Terry, you take way too much flak for all the work you put in for the promotion of this sport. Regardless of if we all agree with your style or any other issue people take, we all owe you a huge thanks for the time and money you give our community. So, thank you.

Latest posts