• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

We will see though. I would like to see Dickerson out on tour more, even though he played more events than nearly everyone, he didn't make to a lot of the big events. If that's personal preference then that's great, but if it's because he doesn't get the sponsorships to make it to all of those events then I would like to see him go to one of the other companies that might be able to provide that. He's a nice guy and an amazing player for sure.

it is personal preference... and you are right- extremely nice guy.

Serious question;

What does it actually mean to be a mid level sponsored pro? How much do you get, what are the perks and how much different are they between companies?

I know that someone like McBeth or Wysocki changing sponsors is a big deal (or seems to be), but what about all the pros that never seem to be in the top 10 of any major events? Just seems to be a big flight to Trilogy in the last few years, is that financially sustainable? Or does being a mid level pro not get you much? Is it more about representation and image?

Just curious.

What does it actually mean to be a mid level sponsored pro? How much do you get, what are the perks and how much different are they between companies?

I think it usually involves a certain allotment of discs per year that those pros either use or sell. There might be perks like payments for finishing well at higher tier tournaments.

We have several sponsored pros here, so I'm sure some of them can answer Keller's question, if they choose.

I think it usually involves a certain allotment of discs per year that those pros either use or sell. There might be perks like payments for finishing well at higher tier tournaments.

From my understanding Pro contracts, especially at the higher tiers (Innova Star and Champion Teams for example) really has nothing to do with free discs, but the bonus structure for their finishes. I'm not sure about what the incentives for the lower level pros that rarely finish in the top 10 look like or even how deep the bonus structures go.

I know they also get paid, from their sponsor, for appearances like clinics and what not. If Ricky is at $76,000 from payouts only, I would bet money that he is WELL over $100,000 with bonuses and sponsor cash.

I'm waiting for the Paul would win more if he only threw MVP forehand discussion to restart.

Let's see if I can make everyone annoyed. Inconsistencies across batches and between plastics and even dyes means pretty much that any given manufacture can put out almost any kind of disc, if they have a fairly wide range of products. The discs Paul uses are lovingly selected and don't fly a whole lot like disks of a similar name. This is why The pros trade and gift discs. One finds a woohoo discs and shares the love.

The notion that InnoCraft Is better than Latbram is silly. You'd never get to the bottom of such an arguement. I will note an exception. It may be possible that either MVP or Vibram is more consistent, due to their unique products, overmold and rubbers. I say this cause I've not used enough of either to judge.

... It may be possible that either MVP or Vibram is more consistent, due to their unique products, overmold and rubbers. I say this cause I've not used enough of either to judge.

In my experience, there is some inconsistency in molding by both MVP and Vibram. The two companies appear to have less of a problem with inconsistency, though I've yet to have thrown enough discs from them to claim to have a solid grasp on the issue.

I like those two brands for reasons other than any supposedly greater consistency in molding. I've thrown a great many discs from other companies over the years, and inconsistency in any given mold never stopped me from throwing that model--I just bought another if a new one didn't fly right.

And this is thread drift...we now return you to your normal thread topic....

As mvp's production has gone up, their consistency has dropped some. Their higher speed discs also seem to be more inconsistent than the lower speed classes but I think that is true for most discs.

As mvp's production has gone up, their consistency has dropped some. Their higher speed discs also seem to be more inconsistent than the lower speed classes but I think that is true for most discs.

Yep. I've got three Waves that are not consistent at all. Not complaining, just observing and confirming...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Turner jump ship to Innova. He and Jerm seem to be pretty close and tour together. He's so young that I would bet Innova will make a move to secure him for the future.

He just signed with the Discraft elite team during 2017. I imagine that puts him under a contract for at least a couple years

I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Turner jump ship to Innova. He and Jerm seem to be pretty close and tour together. He's so young that I would bet Innova will make a move to secure him for the future.

Jerm is also very close with Uli, and when Jerm left Prodigy, Uli didn't.

I would say there is less than a 10% chance Austin leaves Discraft.