• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a Roc or a Firebird or a Destroyer or a TB?
Yeah, DD and Lat64 and Legacy and Discraft sells one of those, they just call it a different name.

This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.

So, DD is the Kardashians of disc golf?

Partridge Family?

Call it whatever you want. What I do know id there is one company that gets 1500-some-odd disc golfers to a small town in northeastern Kansas once a year for a whole week of huge tournament/events. And it's done without the traditional Am payout for more than 1200 of them.

Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that kind of weeklong in-person commitment achieved by those above. It's more than "just" social media.

DD runs good events thats for sure. but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. its a business. They know no payout big players pack = more disc sales

I always find it funny when people complain about DD's "In your face social media". People realize that you and unsubscribe from any social media/player that you want. It isn't like they are jumping into public forums and shoving it in people's faces.

I have unsubscribed to all their channels/podcasts because they disguise advertisements as content. They have some good stuff, but 3/4's of the DGAM is talking about their plastic. They have every right to do that, it's just not good content in my eyes, and not really worth the time. I think DD is a great brand, and does awesome for the sport, but why I'm jaded on the company has more to do with fanboys than the brand itself.

I have unsubscribed to all their channels/podcasts because they disguise advertisements as content. They have some good stuff, but 3/4's of the DGAM is talking about their plastic. They have every right to do that, it's just not good content in my eyes, and not really worth the time. I think DD is a great brand, and does awesome for the sport, but why I'm jaded on the company has more to do with fanboys than the brand itself.

But every time a manufacturer makes a video it's going to be a "disguise advertisements as content" ?

The "problem" seems to be that DD actually makes content that's is more than just a commercial

I rather have content that I can choose to see or not to see....to have no content at all

Discraft basically had no content for years..now they do..but most are commercials ..but I like it

Most of Prodigy's content is the players vlogs..but it well made, but I would like to have more

Innova makes nice in-the-bags but not much more

This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.

Maybe to players like us, sure.

Paul proved last season that it doesn't matter what the Pros throw, and all discs can be worked with if you actually have some elite skill. How far did Ricky slide after changing his whole bag again, to the 4th company in like 6 or 7 years?

The differences are subtle at best. It's fine if you prefer a Firebird to brand X's equivalent. Or a Teebird. Or whatever disc. You throw what you feel works best for you.

Every disc is unique, but I've yet to see a disc so unique that it couldn't be adequately (note I'm not saying exactly or perfectly) replaced by a disc from another brand. And if you're a good player, you'll be able to make things work no matter the brand of disc.

If you took 100 random players and gave each of them a brand-new, unthrown Firebird, Ahti, Felon, Pioneer, H1, FD3, and Raptor, and have them throw all of them in a blind test, my guess is no one disc is going to stand out as better than the rest. You're going to find people preferring different discs for different reasons...feel, grip, flight, etc...but they'll all agree that each disc does the job expected of a speed 9ish overstable driver.

First, apologies for the thread drift.

I've got maybe a couple dozen FB's, from DX to FAF to Glo to Champ, to G* and have had Stars and Pro's and KC Pro's and CE.
Everything from U/S to wicked O/S.
Pretty much the same variation with Rocs and TBs.

The kind of variation in most of these molds, from all the mfrs' (especially Innova) has convinced me that very few molds are really unique, and from my experience, TB's and FB's are not that unique - as a mold (although you may have a disc or two that fly particularly well for you).
Those two, and Rocs, are probably the most copied molds.

We can just agree to dis-agree.

Last edited:
So, a recent video popped up on you tube. Nikko going to Westside Discs. Does this mean he can't putt with wizards?
Interesting stuff...

The differences are subtle at best. It's fine if you prefer a Firebird to brand X's equivalent. Or a Teebird. Or whatever disc. You throw what you feel works best for you.

Every disc is unique, but I've yet to see a disc so unique that it couldn't be adequately (note I'm not saying exactly or perfectly) replaced by a disc from another brand. And if you're a good player, you'll be able to make things work no matter the brand of disc.

If you took 100 random players and gave each of them a brand-new, unthrown Firebird, Ahti, Felon, Pioneer, H1, FD3, and Raptor, and have them throw all of them in a blind test, my guess is no one disc is going to stand out as better than the rest. You're going to find people preferring different discs for different reasons...feel, grip, flight, etc...but they'll all agree that each disc does the job expected of a speed 9ish overstable driver.

I am not necessarily saying one disc is better than the rest. I've tried Felons, H1s, and a couple FD3s, as well as many other overstable control drivers from other companies. They don't fly like a Firebird, and the differences are important. I think I would certainly notice the difference in a blind test. Could I learn to throw those other discs and be successful? Maybe, but I would have to make an adjustment. DiscJunkie said that other companies make Rocs, Firebirds, Teebirds, and Destroyers and just call them by a different name, and that is not true and that is what I was replying to and had quoted. I responded to the molds that I have a lot of familiarity with, Firebirds and Teebirds.

It is absolutely astonishing how little talk there is about disc golf in this thread and on this board in general. Kinda sucks for new players who actually want to engage in conversation and talk about the sport so they come to the biggest DG forum on the net and see nothing but trash. Interesting

It is absolutely astonishing how little talk there is about disc golf in this thread and on this board in general. Kinda sucks for new players who actually want to engage in conversation and talk about the sport so they come to the biggest DG forum on the net and see nothing but trash. Interesting

I certainly agree to an extent. However, since you are new, you might not understand the significance of the pizza conversation in this thread. It's a running joke. Just FYI.

Now some of the other trash... that's a different story. :p

Totaly agree. .

I´m on many hifi/homecinema and computer forums. .and there 99,9% of the post are on Topic....here, not so much

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts