• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

yeah i mean like i said before if its not broke dont fix it right

i think we just completed a circle

I may be missing your point, but Discraft proved that mentality doesn't work. They went from the clear #2 in the game to facing irrelevance because they didn't change anything for years. Where's Aim's thread? Before signing McBeth, their molds were rarely recommended here. They made a change to suit the changing market and became relevant again.

Pretty sure MVP hired Steve a few years ago to actually build a team. This has been in the works for a while now. It's just finally coming to fruition.

Climo to Innova

Think there's any chance they ever let him leave Innova?

Once he sees all these 'lesser players' getting their own line of discs, wouldn't he likely make a few phone calls, maybe see what's out there? I mean, he can't be getting $ per KC discs like PMB gets for each Luna? Doubtful. And the discs with his name on them are all stock discs in much larger quantities.

His name still moves product, especially with the strength of the Masters and up divisions. Plus, he'll be back from injury soon and just think if he ever developed a forehand - it'd be Climo domination again for the over 45 tourny circuit.

No individual signing has come close to the sales boom that took place from the McBeth signing.
I don't think any signing in the near future will come close.
That being said "Let's go Conrad!" :clap:

Think there's any chance they ever let him leave Innova?

Once he sees all these 'lesser players' getting their own line of discs, wouldn't he likely make a few phone calls, maybe see what's out there? I mean, he can't be getting $ per KC discs like PMB gets for each Luna? Doubtful. And the discs with his name on them are all stock discs in much larger quantities.

His name still moves product, especially with the strength of the Masters and up divisions. Plus, he'll be back from injury soon and just think if he ever developed a forehand - it'd be Climo domination again for the over 45 tourny circuit.

The thing is, Climo won world championships in MPO with those discs. He goes to Different Brand X, he has zero world titles with his new discs. He could pick up some in Masters divisions for sure, but it wouldn't have the impact his 12 in MPO has had and will continue to have.

On the note of Discraft facing irrelevance, remember what happened to Vibram not long ago. They didn't have any big names, and they quit making discs. That's the direction Discraft was going until two years ago. I don't think MVP was going down that path (yet), but as someone who enjoys MVP products, I hope this helps makes their plastic more mainstream.

The thing is, Climo won world championships in MPO with those discs. He goes to Different Brand X, he has zero world titles with his new discs.

Not to disagree or agree, but PMB was in this same situation (4 MPO titles) and then promptly won #5 with the discs he had zero world titles with.

Also, if Climo were to design his own discs, wouldn't he design ones exactly like the ones he won those titles with?

I don't think MVP was going down that path (yet), but as someone who enjoys MVP products, I hope this helps makes their plastic more mainstream.

This signing will no doubt boost recognition for MVP, as we should be seeing their molds regularly on feature cards now. My one gripe I have, is their team structure however. Conrad, Elaine King and Hokom are on a total different class than the rest of the "Premier Team". It seems like a slap in the face for World and US Champions to be on the same team level as Jennifer Sawyer and Jordan Castro. I'm probably reading too much into it though.

The fact that Conrad is trying to develop a social media presence and others have expanded theirs (Uli with a YT channel, Sexton with a podcast), I think demonstrates greater overlap between casual players and pros' media content. The question used to be "does the casual player even know of X pro?" They are more likely now than a few years ago to have come across that players content on some social media platform. I suspect YT views for the pros have gone up this year as people get into the sport as a result of the pandemic. That's also to say that chasing the casual player and sponsoring pros probably has more overlap now than ever. MVP needed some presence in the MPO field; you don't want tournament media coverage week after week never featuring your product.

I like Conrad. He seems like a good dude. That said, this news will not influence me to buy any gyro flyers.

Yep. Pro players have zero impact on any disc golf decisions I make. Their game does not translate to anything I do on the course. I was taught to respect those with enviable character, not idolize them on the basis of an obscure athletic talent. I think it is great that a couple dozen disc golfers in the world are making a modest living off the game.

I was already a Gyro thrower and a Conrad fan. I'm happy for him and pleased that the team gets a top-tier talent. I'll almost definitely buy one of whatever Conrad's signature disc ends up being, but my bag is pretty set as isand I'm not looking to expand/change it at this time.

I appreciate having so many talented and interesting pros to pay attention to now.

For the longest time it was Ken, Shultz, and Ron Russell who got all the attention. Occasionally another name would pop in for a couple of years.

But now there are so many to follow and all of the rivalries seem friendly and cool. With all the skins matches online and crossover videos with each other. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of petty/high school drama (I am sure it exists, but it isn't made a thing).

I like Conrad. He seems like a good dude. That said, this news will not influence me to buy any gyro flyers.

I was thinking about buying a Volt to support him, but then I saw the stamp :gross:

If it had been more similar to the JC Aviar I might have considered it