• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I think this is a genius move on Paul's behalf that nobody gives him credit for. He pretty much throws an entirely stock bag. Helps him not be attached to anything in particular [...]

Might have been part of the decision to go to Discraft ...

He used to cycle in new putters every tournament (or round?). Now he can cycle in fresh discs of any mold he throws every tournament or round.

Why would you need beat in discs for Las Vegas?

MVP doesn't make a disc that hyzers?

More likely Conrad didn't want to lose his discs during an exhibition at Fountain Hills prior to the start of the season before real tournament competition starts. I assume players do something similar for some Ledgestone holes at the Eureka Lake course where they throw a new stock disc instead of their go-to for distance. I vaguely remember Kevin Jones throwing a I-dye Champion Boss for some of those water carry shots when he was with Prodiscus due to the difficulty replacing his Prodiscus distance drivers.

James is a bag/disc minimalist and its unlikely he has tons of backups sitting around while travelling in a van. He also wasn't originally scheduled to play the All-Star weekend exhibition and may not have brought along much.

McBeth probably moved to using mostly stock 'new' discs after his bag got stolen at the Memorial a while back. He also doesn't have to worry about a limited yearly allotment or finding the perfect replacement since he has the option to ship home boxes of hand picked discs from the factory. Remember he bought out the whole run of swirly Destroyers and put McPro Aviar stamps on a few? I recall him throwing a Boss during the Wintertime Open because of the risk of not getting one of those swirly Destroyers back when stuck up high in a tree.

But then they replace them with familiar molds, right? A beefy pd2 flies kind of like a beefy pd2 that you've thrown a million times.

A Mayhem (or whatever he was throwing) in whatever condition is not a destroyer or wraith that you've thrown a million times.

Or, if you'd rather, we can conclude that either A) MVP makes crappy discs or B) Conrad is not a good disc golfer.

That's a fair point. Apples and oranges. Entirely different molds versus new versions of familiar molds.

I don't think we can conclude either of your points though. Maybe it's just that James has a ton of molds to try out before he can get back into his usual form. I think I remember that Wysocki not having very good seasons his first years when switching sponsors, including his first year back with Innova. While I may not root for him, it's hard to deny his abilities.

Either way, I think James could finish DFL this season, and the Gybros will still clear the shelves of anything with his name on it.

Oh, I remember KJones bombing that thing on any number of holes, water carry or not. Red around the rim, green/yellow in the middle, right? :)

Yah that was definitely his go-to that whole year. He threw it a ton at DGLO. Hole 1 at Eureka, while intimidating for AMs, is an easy water carry for Kevin.

Or, if you'd rather, we can conclude that either A) MVP makes crappy discs or B) Conrad is not a good disc golfer.

I say this not to at all say that JC is not a bazillion times better than me but....a guy who relies on that late-turning backhand shots with understable discs, while it's a beautiful thing to watch, is going to be a lot more dependent on perfectly-seasoned plastic than an Eagle or a Simon.

Why does this term sound dirty to me?

Because it's a derogatory term from the early days of the company representing those that were insufferable about MVP being the perfect disc company with 100% consistency in both flight and plastic blends? They've mostly calmed down, but I've noticed a resurgence on FB since the Conrad rumors started.

I say this not to at all say that JC is not a bazillion times better than me but....a guy who relies on that late-turning backhand shots with understable discs, while it's a beautiful thing to watch, is going to be a lot more dependent on perfectly-seasoned plastic than an Eagle or a Simon.

Exactly. He has good power, but just not enough for that reliable hyzer line used for a plethora of pro shots on longer holes. Instead of throwing understable which seems to always drift right on those longer holes, throw something more stable, take the hit in distance but gain some accuracy.

Exactly. He has good power, but just not enough for that reliable hyzer line used for a plethora of pro shots on longer holes. Instead of throwing understable which seems to always drift right on those longer holes, throw something more stable, take the hit in distance but gain some accuracy.

And there's the not forehanding thing.

So I'm surprised that nobody has brought it up yet, but if the gyro is real and their discs stay straighter longer...or whatever the claim is...

How is that going to mesh with a player who's game involves a lot of turnover shots.

So I'm surprised that nobody has brought it up yet, but if the gyro is real and their discs stay straighter longer...or whatever the claim is...

How is that going to mesh with a player who's game involves a lot of turnover shots.
:) ...
It was interesting when I tried to throw an all MVP bag of discs. I found out quickly that I really missed my Roadrunner and Firebird. The extra gyroscopic characteristic of MVP discs really keeps their discs straight! And for better or worse they also really hold your under or over OAT/wobble on the disc which makes them harder to shape shots!

He was literally having that problem. "Ughhh, soo straight" he muttered on one of the shots he was trying to hyzer, but couldn't.

He was literally having that problem. "Ughhh, soo straight" he muttered on one of the shots he was trying to hyzer, but couldn't.

It would be interesting to get an honest opinion from him after like a year throwing gyro exclusively. Somebody with a skill set high enough to be able to speak to if the gyro effect is legit or not. I don't think anybody denies extra weight along the outer edge making something more gyroscopic...more like is what they do actually enough to positively benefit the flight of a disc. Straighter longer might not necessarily be a desirable characteristic for some people.

Somebody with a skill set high enough to be able to speak to if the gyro effect is legit or not. I don't think anybody denies extra weight along the outer edge making something more gyroscopic...more like is what they do actually enough to positively benefit the flight of a disc. Straighter longer might not necessarily be a desirable characteristic for some people.
Guess my skill set isn't high enough. :(